Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What a circus (MI GOP Convention)...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: What a circus (MI GOP Convention)...

Post by TC Talks » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:56 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:52 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:51 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:58 am
Meanwhile in Traverse City, incumbent John Roth (R) failed to update his address and is likely to be ineligible to run in the new district he has chosen. This after winning the primary.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... ?gnt-cfr=1
I would be shocked if someone up there had the balls to hold him accountable. Keep us posted.
If it’s made the news then they will probably be taking him behind the woodshed.
At this point it would have to go to court to get him back on the ballot. He has 3 weeks.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:05 pm

marsbar wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:32 am
Where is Mike Cox? Brian Calley?
Cox is currently running his own law practice, just saw an ad for it the other day. (One of multiple aiming to appeal to those suffering from the effects of Camp Lejeune, though his own ad also points out his having served there in the Marine Corps.)

Calley is currently president + CEO of the Small Business Association of Michigan.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:32 pm

marsbar wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:28 pm
I figured one of the known Republicans would have taken a break from what they're doing now to run, but then again, my impression has always been that the GOP phoned this one in a long time ago with hopes of blaming the Democrats for the oncoming recession.
That's the problem with politics in general.

Conservatives can have a successful career and make a lot of money outside of government.

Liberals? Not so much. Government IS their path to fortune.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:17 pm

This probably would've been a good year for Brian Calley to seek the nomination. With James Craig out of contention, he would've made a good "consensus" candidate.

An argument can also be made that Tom Leonard should've sought to run for Governor as opposed to AG.

Plenty of wealthy liberals out there. Look at how the ultra wealthy enclaves of California and Massachusetts generally vote. Jeff Bezos isn't a Republican, last time I checked. Warren Buffett as well.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:23 am

Calley should have run and convinced Craig to be his running mate. Calley could have done ONE term and then handed the reigns over to Craig.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:41 pm

That would've been a very good ticket, but swearing to serve only one term is too high a price to pay just to secure a running mate.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:02 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:41 pm
That would've been a very good ticket, but swearing to serve only one term is too high a price to pay just to secure a running mate.
And a lot of folks wouldn’t keep the promise. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin put himself in this boat and he’s running for re-election anyways.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:20 am

I don't think any Republican, no matter how strong, could beat Whitmer right now. This is akin to Obama in 2012. He was popular enough that he was destined to win re-election no matter who the Republicans put up.

Why she's as popular as she is I'll never understand. Even as recent as 20 years ago, anyone who ruled over a pandemic the way she did would have been sent packing.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:58 pm

I think the reversal of Roe v. Wade really tipped the scales in the Dems' favor in purple states like Michigan.

The Democrats won the special U.S. House election in Alaska for Don Young's former seat a couple weeks ago. If the Democrats can win a statewide race in Alaska, and in particular, a Congressional seat that had been in Republican hands for nearly five decades, I'd say the Republicans are in trouble come November.

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:58 pm
I think the reversal of Roe v. Wade really tipped the scales in the Dems' favor in purple states like Michigan.

The Democrats won the special U.S. House election in Alaska for Don Young's former seat a couple weeks ago. If the Democrats can win a statewide race in Alaska, and in particular, a Congressional seat that had been in Republican hands for nearly five decades, I'd say the Republicans are in trouble come November.
I believe so, The Right had been trying to catch the carrot for 50 years on the abortion issue. They clenched it at last but as the saying goes " The spoils go to the winners" . I wouldn't say this will be a Democratic party sweep like 2006 and 2008 was but I do believe overall this could be very much a split decision.

I do hope Michigan does uphold abortion rights and voting rights on election day this fall.

The Grand Old Party's Senatorial candidates are dreadful overall, so the chances of The Senate changing party leaders does not look favourable .

I do think The Democrats will retain possibly all the governorships they currently have and maybe add a couple. Arizona looks to be the strongest possibility. I'd love to see Ronald McDonald Desantis bested in FL. The Democrat nominee for governor in Pennsylvania has picked up some Republican support, I think The Democrats will keep that governorship.

The US house, that's really the big question.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:45 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:23 am
Calley should have run and convinced Craig to be his running mate. Calley could have done ONE term and then handed the reigns over to Craig.
I think this ticket would have beat Gretchen. I could deal with Calley provided that he could distance himself from tricky Rick.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:33 am

Everybody liked Calley.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic