Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Republican Gubernatorial Candidate Debate In GR 7/6/22

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Republican Gubernatorial Candidate Debate In GR 7/6/22

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:21 pm
Mike wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:03 am
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:44 pm
Tudor Dixon is starting to take the moderate lane and has me a little worried in the general.
Don't be too sure...
Cool. Whitmer is going to be a 2 termer!
Whitmer needs to be defeated.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:40 am

Mike wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:02 am
She's responded by firing off a cease-and-desist at him, but he isn't backing down.

MasterB wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:19 am
Kevin Rinke calling Dixon a RINO in his new ad and that she is backed by Never Trumpers I didn't know that Devos was Never Trump as Besty worked in the Trump Admin.
It's a reference to Betsy's revelation that she was in discussions among the cabinet for invoking the 25th Amendment to have Trump removed in the wake of January 6.

MasterB wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:19 am
I'm voting Dixon in the primary she has the best chance at beating Whitmer and I hope she will pick James as Lt. Gov. Fox17 is airing the last GOP debate which Scripps will air on Fox47 in Lansing, WXYZ Detroit.
Two things:

1) Why would James go for that when he could very well win the 10th?

2) While the article on the Detroit News poll cited a voter saying she has a better chance because she can get stronger support with women, MIRS suggests she's got a lot of work to do there (notably, the News cited a man for the article): https://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/ ... 1-22_B.pdf
I didn't mean John James I hope he will win the 10TH to become US Congressman. I should've said former Detroit Police Chief James Craig for LT. Gov if Dixon wins the GOP primary.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:45 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 pm
Mike wrote:
Tudor Dixon is starting to take the moderate lane and has me a little worried in the general.
Don't be too sure...
Doubtful it’s going to happen. Weak GOP candidates are causing Big Gretch to have a 8-12% lead over them depending on the candidate. Additionally, the GOP SOS and AG candidates are absolute extreme right wing fruitcakes. Hopefully the top 3 Dems getting re-elected also leads to the State House flipping blue also…

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:56 am

Realist wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:45 am
Matt wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 pm
Mike wrote:
Don't be too sure...
Doubtful it’s going to happen. Weak GOP candidates are causing Big Gretch to have a 8-12% lead over them depending on the candidate. Additionally, the GOP SOS and AG candidates are absolute extreme right wing fruitcakes. Hopefully the top 3 Dems getting re-elected also leads to the State House flipping blue also…
Let's see where the dust settles after the primary in a week and a half and the general election campaign truly begins. I agree that the currently slated SOS and AG candidates are awful. There was such a low threshold needed to beat Nessel, yet Deperno can't even meet that.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:32 am

That is not true. There is a convention in August and if there is unified support for Dixon, and she wants candidates that aren't going to be drags on the top of the ticket, there's a fighting chance that one or both could be replaced.
I completely share your wishes, Matt, but it just ain't gonna happen.

The Trumpbots control the grass roots of the GOP in Michigan. You are correct that the current AG and Secretary of State nominees are awful.

Dixon spoke favorably of DePerno at the last televised debate, and Mike Shirkey gave DePerno an endorsement this past week.

As someone who deals with creditor and debtor attorneys from regionally and nationally renowned law firms on a a regular basis, the allegations of professional misconduct & ethical breaches leveled against DePerno (which were made years before he ran for any public office) are deeply troubling to me, and in my view, disqualify him from any high office.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:32 am
That is not true. There is a convention in August and if there is unified support for Dixon, and she wants candidates that aren't going to be drags on the top of the ticket, there's a fighting chance that one or both could be replaced.
I completely share your wishes, Matt, but it just ain't gonna happen.

The Trumpbots control the grass roots of the GOP in Michigan. You are correct that the current AG and Secretary of State nominees are awful.

Dixon spoke favorably of DePerno at the last televised debate, and Mike Shirkey gave DePerno an endorsement this past week.

As someone who deals with creditor and debtor attorneys from regionally and nationally renowned law firms on a a regular basis, the allegations of professional misconduct & ethical breaches leveled against DePerno (which were made years before he ran for any public office) are deeply troubling to me, and in my view, disqualify him from any high office.
The issue is that Nessel's misconduct in her current office also disqualifies her.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:27 pm

I don't know if she has engaged in misconduct, but she is certainly incompetent.

Two lousy choices for voters come November, in all likelihood.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:48 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:27 pm
I don't know if she has engaged in misconduct, but she is certainly incompetent.

Two lousy choices for voters come November, in all likelihood.
I'd argue that her choice to prosecute officials for the Flint water crisis while not even looking into what happened in nursing homes qualifies as misconduct.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:37 am

I get frustrated watching the Republican tv ads that attack Whitmer as they're going after her in completely the wrong way.

They need to go after her for:

(A) Vetoing legislation that would have banned the practice of forcing Covid-positive patients back into nursing homes (see here - https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 558640002/ ) and...

(B) In 2020, issuing 163 Covid-related executive orders - more than any other governor in the nation, 101 of which (the ones after April 30) were unconstitutional.

(C) Not fixing the damn roads.

And these commercials would be easy to make. Interview people who lost loved ones in nursing homes. Play clips of her saying she'd fix the damn roads while on the other half of the screen showing people driving over potholes. Ask young children basic questions (like what is 2+2) and they don't know the answer because of how disruptive Whitmer's Covid policies were to schools. Interview small business owners who lost their once-thriving business. This SHOULD be easy.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:22 pm

bmw:

I'm not sure not fixing the roads is a good argument. Heck, there is construction everywhere.

Think it's an uphill battle trying to convince people they're not getting worked on, when "Roll Out The Barrels" is the official theme song of 2022.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:36 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:37 am
I get frustrated watching the Republican tv ads that attack Whitmer as they're going after her in completely the wrong way.

They need to go after her for:

(A) Vetoing legislation that would have banned the practice of forcing Covid-positive patients back into nursing homes (see here - https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 558640002/ ) and...

(B) In 2020, issuing 163 Covid-related executive orders - more than any other governor in the nation, 101 of which (the ones after April 30) were unconstitutional.

(C) Not fixing the damn roads.

And these commercials would be easy to make. Interview people who lost loved ones in nursing homes. Play clips of her saying she'd fix the damn roads while on the other half of the screen showing people driving over potholes. Ask young children basic questions (like what is 2+2) and they don't know the answer because of how disruptive Whitmer's Covid policies were to schools. Interview small business owners who lost their once-thriving business. This SHOULD be easy.
You clearly don’t drive in the (586).

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:39 pm

If you both think she's done enough to fix the roads, that's fine. But her record on handling Covid remains atrocious.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:05 am

I am going to add to your list, bmw:
- Vetoing multiple bills that would have reduced individuals' taxes
- Vetoing multiple bills that would have granted a gasoline tax holiday (including one bill that received widespread Democratic Party support in the legislature)
- Proposing a $0.45 a gallon gas tax increase her first year in office.

I agree with your earlier points, but bear in mind we are still in primary season. I do think the nature of the messaging will change pretty swiftly once the primary elections are complete.

In terms of road construction / fixing the roads, there is certainly a decent amount of construction on interstate freeways and state maintained roads (e.g. Mound Rd. in Macomb County), but local & county roads are in every bit of bad shape today, if not worse, than when she first took office.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:57 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:22 pm
bmw:

I'm not sure not fixing the roads is a good argument. Heck, there is construction everywhere.

Think it's an uphill battle trying to convince people they're not getting worked on, when "Roll Out The Barrels" is the official theme song of 2022.
Yea, maybe she finally stepped up BECAUSE IT'S AN ELECTION YEAR??

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:04 am

km1125 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:57 am
In The Bleachers wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:22 pm
bmw:

Yea, maybe she finally stepped up BECAUSE IT'S AN ELECTION YEAR??
Yes, two seasons, Winter and Election Year.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic