Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MDOT posts Whitmer campaign signs

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

MDOT posts Whitmer campaign signs

Post by Matt » Tue May 10, 2022 7:20 am

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 702681002/

She's going to claim that she did what she could when the other side wouldn't work with her. The reality is her 45 cent gas tax increase was vastly unpopular and was DOA. Additionally, she advocated for a federal gas moratorium but vetoed a state tax moratorium.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Re: MDOT posts Whitmer campaign signs

Post by bmw » Tue May 10, 2022 9:18 am

The reality is it was her who wouldn't work with the Republicans on virtually ANYTHING, and her reason for not working with them was petty politics. They tried to take away some of her pandemic powers (which ultimately got overturned anyways) and so she refused to work with them purely out of spite.

She needs to go. I'll be voting in this race for whoever the Republicans nominate.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 11, 2022 9:56 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:18 am
The reality is it was her who wouldn't work with the Republicans on virtually ANYTHING, and her reason for not working with them was petty politics. They tried to take away some of her pandemic powers (which ultimately got overturned anyways) and so she refused to work with them purely out of spite.

She needs to go. I'll be voting in this race for whoever the Republicans nominate.
Fuck you, lying asshole. She has been fighting these dirt bags for 4 years on everything. They are evil incarnate as are you.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 12, 2022 5:14 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:56 pm
bmw wrote:

Fuck you, lying asshole. She has been fighting these dirt bags for 4 years on everything. They are evil incarnate as are you.
She is a hack and a miserable failure and needs to be booted from office.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:24 am

Interesting response.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:13 pm

I agree with Matt on this one.

We need to stop insulting each other and stick to the topic.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 14, 2022 7:46 am

Additionally, she advocated for a federal gas moratorium but vetoed a state tax moratorium.
I disagree about laying all the blame at Whitmer's feet on this specific matter.

Her counterproposal - a moratorium on the state 6% sales tax charged on gas ($0.24 per gallon savings based on a $4 per gallon pump price) - was actually more sensible than the GOP proposal, in my opinion. Even the editorial page of the Detroit News holds this view.

The GOP proposal (a moratorium on the fixed $0.27 per gallon gas tax, which is used exclusively for road & infrastructure projects) could've potentially put federal road funding matching dollars at risk and would not have resulted in increased or decreased savings to motorists as the gas price rises or falls.

The GOP did not want to give her a victory or make her appear pragmatic, so they rejected her counterproposal. Both sides in Lansing play petty games. 80 percent or more of elected officials are pieces of shit who care more about advancing their own political careers than competently serving the citizens whom they've been elected to serve.

I will say the bond funds are a band-aid that do absolutely nothing to address the insufficiency of road funding at the county and local level. Is it better to have those funds available for road work than not have them? Sure. A comprehensive solution agreed to between the Governor and Legislature likely would have been much better. I definitely believe she threw in the towel too soon on negotiations.

As for the signs, they are a waste of taxpayer dollars and an unethical use of taxpayer dollars.. People can figure out that "work is being done" when they see the orange barrels. I agree that the main purpose of the signs appears to be to create positive P.R. for her administration.

I would have preferred some of the MCCA auto insurance surplus dollars to be placed into a fund to fund county and local road projects over the next few years. Don't get me wrong - the $400 per vehicle refunds were awfully nice. But if it were possible - my preference would have been to reduce that refund to $200 per vehicle, with the other $200 being transferred into a fund for county and local road projects. That would've meant $1.5 billion going back to Michigan drivers and $1.5 billion being made available for local & county road repairs.

The horrible condition of our roads is one reason (albeit not the biggest reason) insurance rates have been high in this state.

There are some potential nominees on the GOP side that would give me a high degree of hesitation. I sure as hell hope Perry Johnson isn't the nominee. That guy comes across as crooked and slimy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 14, 2022 2:34 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:14 am
bmw wrote:

How about you point your candid lense on the Legislature. They are much worse.

Also, why anyone gets upset with BMW's delusional world view is beyond me.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 14, 2022 6:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:46 am
I sure as hell hope Perry Johnson isn't the nominee. That guy comes across as crooked and slimy.
I don't think he'll be the nominee. His campaign is eerily similar to that of Rick Snyder when he ran. Only difference is in that of terminology of "nerd" vs "quality guru."

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 14, 2022 6:43 pm

bmw wrote:

How many of Governor Whitmer's Executive Orders were found to be unconstitutional? Oh, that's right. Over 180 of them.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun May 15, 2022 1:04 am

bmw wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 6:42 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:46 am
I sure as hell hope Perry Johnson isn't the nominee. That guy comes across as crooked and slimy.
I don't think he'll be the nominee. His campaign is eerily similar to that of Rick Snyder when he ran. Only difference is in that of terminology of "nerd" vs "quality guru."
I don't like Perry Johnsons ads and the quality guru wouldn't be surprised if he came in dead last in the GOP Primary like Shehi guy that ran for governor in 2018 and spent millions and got nothing.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 16, 2022 6:53 pm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 16, 2022 9:59 pm

So far, it appears the bonds that have been issued are a terrific deal for taxpayers.

If the data in the news article are correct, the bonds issued to date were sold for well in excess of par value (face value). On top of that, the contractual interest coupon of 2.35 percent is actually slightly below the long term inflation rate (based on trailing 10 years and trailing 25 years ending in 2020).

Republicans suggesting the bonds are a bad deal for taxpayers either are full of shit and trying to score cheap political points or do not grasp simple financial concepts.

I will say the lack of dollars for funding county and local road projects, which are in much greater need of reconstruction, is a point that is very fair game.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 20, 2022 1:02 pm

Matt wrote:
bmw wrote:

Actions like that are reserved for true incompetence. How's the search for a new president at U of M going?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 20, 2022 1:56 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:02 pm
Matt wrote:
bmw wrote:

Actions like that are reserved for true incompetence. How's the search for a new president at U of M going?
Whitmer is truly incompetent.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic