Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

"Trucker" Randy as a D for the MI Senate?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

"Trucker" Randy as a D for the MI Senate?

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Sun May 08, 2022 7:19 pm

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... ments.html
“Can’t even watch a college basketball tournament without commercials telling me I have to feel guilty because I think a family should be a white mom, a white dad and white kids,” Bishop said in an archived recording of the show. “They want us to die and go away and they’re going to try and do it through politics this year. Well, we have got to be just as smart.”

Does this genius own WCHY in Cheboygan? Last time I was up there, he was still on the air every morning. And he's an official candidate, filed and on the ballot? How has that not been reported and stopped yet? This seems like a TC Talks job to me...

Deleted User 15783

Re: "Trucker" Randy as a D for the MI Senate?

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:15 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:19 pm
.... And he's an official candidate, filed and on the ballot? How has that not been reported and stopped yet? This seems like a TC Talks job to me...
Reported to who?
Seems his comments, in or out of context, are already known by all. Common sense tells me he will be stopped. At the voting booth.

So calm down. Let democracy run it's course. I'm confident we both agree the trucker crashes in the primaries.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 09, 2022 7:53 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:19 pm
What. The. Actual. Fuck.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... ments.html
“Can’t even watch a college basketball tournament without commercials telling me I have to feel guilty because I think a family should be a white mom, a white dad and white kids,” Bishop said in an archived recording of the show. “They want us to die and go away and they’re going to try and do it through politics this year. Well, we have got to be just as smart.”

Does this genius own WCHY in Cheboygan? Last time I was up there, he was still on the air every morning. And he's an official candidate, filed and on the ballot? How has that not been reported and stopped yet? This seems like a TC Talks job to me...
Seems to me he fits perfectly as a Democrat. After all, the Democrats are the party of slavery that uses "diversity" to advance it's viewpoint. Diverse people who are conservative or libertarian are called awful things.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:31 am

Matt wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:53 am
.... the Democrats are the party of slavery that uses "diversity" to advance it's viewpoint ....
Good point.

It can be argued that "diversity" becomes dependency. Like many social programs, dependency is just another form of slavery. Why make an effort to be self sufficient?

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue May 10, 2022 9:33 am

Reported to who?
Seems his comments, in or out of context, are already known by all. Common sense tells me he will be stopped. At the voting booth.

So calm down. Let democracy run it's course. I'm confident we both agree the trucker crashes in the primaries.
It has nothing to do with what he said but how - and over what media - he said it. There is still an "equal time" rule that would force the station to offer opposing candidates the same access to airtime that the trucker gets. WCHY better be ready to drop the oldies and go all talk.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue May 10, 2022 10:53 am

WCHY plays more Motown and other Urban Gold 60s and 70s tracks than any other station in Northern Michigan, and maybe all of Michigan. If you pull that off the air, THAT might be construed as racist, otherwise, I think people are taking Randy's comments out of context, and that he may not have meant what they say it meant.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:55 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:33 am
It has nothing to do with what he said but how - and over what media - he said it. There is still an "equal time" rule that would force the station to offer opposing candidates the same access to airtime that the trucker gets. WCHY better be ready to drop the oldies and go all talk.
I ponder a couple of things:

When did Trucker say all this? Before or after he announced his candidacy?

Does he pay for his own show to be aired? If so, are opposing views going to pay for equal access to the airwaves? Am I wrong thinking that IF what Trucker says on the air is basically an infomercial, it should be considered a political ad that him and his supporters are paying for?

Let's say Rush Limbaugh was still with us. And he decided to run for office. Do those running against him get 33 years of "equal time" to refute everything he has said?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 10, 2022 5:47 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:53 am
I think people are taking Randy's comments out of context, and that he may not have meant what they say it meant.
I've never heard of this guy, but just reading what he said here, I would guess what he MEANT to say was something more along the lines of "I can’t even watch a college basketball tournament without commercials telling me I have to feel guilty because I'm white and have a white family. White families are no longer represented in today's commercials. Advertisers only care about you if you're not white."

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue May 10, 2022 6:16 pm

OKAY - Full disclosure - I'm not politically aligned with Trucker Randy.

But in truth, it's not about what he said, but about use of the airwaves to say it.

The Equal Time Rule explained here

While the "Fairness Doctrine" was eliminated, the need to offer political candidates "equal access to airwaves" is still on the books.
Does he pay for his own show to be aired? If so, are opposing views going to pay for equal access to the airwaves? Am I wrong thinking that IF what Trucker says on the air is basically an infomercial, it should be considered a political ad that him and his supporters are paying for?
That could well be true. But since he is an authorized filed candidate for office, the station has to offer equal time at the same exact price Randy paid. Most stations choose to remove hosts that are candidates to avoid this (see Elder, Larry - Calif Gov. Recall Candidate)

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:48 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:16 pm
.... it's not about what he said, but about use of the airwaves to say it.

The Equal Time Rule explained here

.... since he is an authorized filed candidate for office, the station has to offer equal time at the same exact price Randy paid. Most stations choose to remove hosts that are candidates to avoid this (see Elder, Larry - Calif Gov. Recall Candidate)
Thanks for the link. I read it. Unless I misunderstood the link you posted, the last 3 paragraphs say The Equal Time rule is a formality that is not enforced.

Circling back :) to what I asked before, did Trucker voice his opinions before or after he announced his candidacy? That I don't know. Seems it may make a difference in ascertaining whether the Equal Time rule would apply, if it wasn't a formality.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed May 11, 2022 4:22 am

Thanks for the link. I read it. Unless I misunderstood the link you posted, the last 3 paragraphs say The Equal Time rule is a formality that is not enforced.
At one point, there was some attempts to procure "equal time" after a news interview with a client, or even as the article said a showing of a Reagan movie. Now, it's much narrower but still applies. Here's a better explanation..

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-the-e ... le-3367859

As soon as he became a viable candidate (he's filed with the state and on the ballot, which certain qualifies him) Trucker and the station are subject to these provisions.
did Trucker voice his opinions before or after he announced his candidacy?
And it's his actual air time that triggers the provision, not his opinions. Radio airtime gives him name recognition, and an advantage over his opponents who deserve "equal time" on a station that according to this thread only one person listens to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic