Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

U-M President Schlissel FIRED, effective immediately

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

U-M President Schlissel FIRED, effective immediately

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:41 pm

Matt

Re: U-M President Schlissel FIRED, effective immediately

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:47 pm

I'm shocked. Mary Sue Coleman is the interim.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:02 pm

He gives off a creepy old man vibe:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/educat ... 162810002/

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:57 pm

Buzzfeed has some of the memes. Students and Faculty are celebrating tonight. There was a plan for him to leave quietly and it looks like he screwed that up.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:23 pm

No one with any level of intelligence is celebrating.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:27 pm

We are talking about the guy who got a vote of no confidence from faculty? The guy who announced his departure prematurely?

I still don't understand what value the guy brought to the university. His covid response has been absolutely negligent. I can't speak to other parts of the job but when you look at taking care of students he wasn't very good.

I hear there's a condo available in the building where Lou Anna Simon is up here. Maybe that pair will enjoy each other's company in their shamed retirement.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:25 am

Schlissel is a snob who likes to hide behind lawyers and probably should've been fired following the Provost Philbert scandal. I also agree his COVID response, at least initially, was lacking (ask those who work in the residence halls).

While another black eye for the university is not welcome, I think TC Talks is correct that numerous students and faculty are relieved that Schlissel is out. The fact the Board of Regents made the proper decision *should* be celebrated.

Judging from the context of the emails, the flirtation and relationship seem consensual, but nonetheless, he should not be having that type of relationship with a subordinate. On moral grounds, I also have a major issue with the fact he appears to be cheating on his wife.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:28 am

Not to be an advocate or excuse the behavior, but why did someone supposedly so smart, do something so stupid as to use his University email account to correspond? Did yahoo run out of email addresses? Couldn't he have installed a private server in his bathroom? Couldn't he have wiped his hard drive?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:37 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:28 am
Not to be an advocate or excuse the behavior, but why did someone supposedly so smart, do something so stupid as to use his University email account to correspond? Did yahoo run out of email addresses? Couldn't he have installed a private server in his bathroom? Couldn't he have wiped his hard drive?
I thought exactly the same thing when I originally read he was fired. Besides, all government and college email like this is FOIA-able.

Guess he’s what some people call an “over educated idiot” or “book smart, common sense stupid”. SMH

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:10 pm

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:28 am

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:31 am

Looks like plenty of folks are glad Schlissel is gone:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 546894001/

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:13 pm

People need to realize that the covid response was what the Regents wanted. The Anderson settlement could have happened long ago, and that is also a Regents issue. I wouldn't put much into students or some of the faculty bitching about leadership.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:58 am

Charles Blackwell is a piece of shit: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 736373001/

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:43 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:58 am
Charles Blackwell is a piece of shit: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 736373001/
While he is an idiot for not having a lawyer and he seems to be a little bit of a piece of work…. He has a point. I’d like to know who the woman was and what position she was in exactly. Especially if public resources were used to carry on the affair. That’s the kind of thing we used to get on the evening news every night for a week straight in gory details.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic