Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hot Rod Speedways

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bobbert

Hot Rod Speedways

Post by Bobbert » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:37 am

After reading this story about some guy flying down 696 at 150 MPH, I wondered what stretches of Metro Detroit highways tempt speeders the most.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 515882002/

From this story and many others, I'd rank 696 the highest, because of the normal high rate of speed and the Venturi-like effect of the groove design. Similar thoughts about the Lodge in Detroit, especially going towards downtown, with that added downhill effect.

From my own experience, the speed bikers love eastbound 94 between Ypsi and Belleville during the summer. I've also seen some wild driving on 96 between the Southfield freeway and downtown Detroit.

ZenithCKLW

Re: Hot Rod Speedways

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 am

In addition to the areas you said, I'd say 94 between the airport and Southfield Fwy is really easy to speed. It features a super wide range of vision and 4 lanes each way, but watch out for police over there.

And probably the 401 east of Windsor, if you consider that to be Metro Detroit.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:21 am

Had a friend do the 696 cruise "at speed" once in a Camaro with an aftermarket turbocharger. Not sure what his top speed was because it was off the end of the needle (but I think the speedometer only went to 85 or 100 back then). He made it from Roseville to Clawson in record time but found out the next morning he had three burned pistons and several melted valves. A quite expensive run.

I'd offer that 96 run between Telegraph and somewhere around 94. I seem to get passed by bikes, Chargers or Challengers (and maybe the occasional 300) who are well above 2x posted speeds there.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 am

That area of 96 near the Davison curve is a bitch. If you travel east on 96 just past Davison, where the freeway swings south to go under Grand River, something about that curve isn't quite right (it dips down and the arc isn't perfectly circular) and you can see lots of damage to the jersey barrier in the median. Lots of scrapes and chunks taken out. Last summer there were repairs made to it. Even though I tend to have a lead foot at times, I'd advise that if you don't take it easy through there, you better enjoy the taste of concrete.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:10 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 am
And probably the 401 east of Windsor, if you consider that to be Metro Detroit.
40 years ago in an old Dodge Monaco station wagon with a speedometer that went up to 120, I was bouncing the needle off the peg going between Belle River and Tilbury on the 401. Traffic was pretty much nonexistent at 5am back then.

As far as for now, if you got the balls to keep the "petal to the metal ", you can outrun Huron Township on 275. They generally sit around S. Huron Road. If you're southbound and don't let up, by the time they pull out and get up to speed, you can be off at Will Carlton and down Grafton and they won't see where you went. They may even think you stayed on 275. But like I said, you gotta floor it to get away with it.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:34 pm

I 75 north of Auburn Hills seems to be a H*** speedway. I’ve been doing 80 in that 70 stretch and get passed like I’m standing still by people doing 95 to 100 all the time. The state police sit out there occasionally but definitely not enough.

94 by the airport and west of it also seems to be a H*** speedway.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:07 pm

Watch the beginning of the movie “FM” for a great police chase, then watch the rest of the movie for fun.
127 during the shutdown of 20 was an absolute autobahn. I “may” have had my 9C3 upwards of 120......between Jackson County and Mason.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:58 pm

Telegraph from Ford Road to 96 seems to be a hot rod speedway. Got passed by a person doing 100MPH while doing 50MPH

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:22 pm

When all lanes are open, 275 from Novi to I-94 can get crazy.

I-94 in Macomb County is another stretch filled with speed demons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic