Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Masks In Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Masks In Michigan

Post by Bryce » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:51 am

I traveled through a downriver community this weekend. I stopped into a grocery/home goods super center and while shopping I noticed that every single employee was wearing a mask. Except for one 12ish-year-old boy I saw, I was the only customer wearing a mask. The store was busy, at least several hundred people shopping, and virtually no mask wearing by the customers.

As far as I could ascertain, the lack of masks cut across all demographics. This downriver community would be considered solidly middle class. I'm wondering, is mask wearing or the failure to do so a regional thing?

Seems like there are some serious anti-maskers in the Traverse City area to the point of beating up photographer's covering their protests.

What's it like where you live?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Re: Masks In Michigan

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 am

I have found throughout the entire pandemic cities have been "Mask" cities or "Non-Mask" cities. Traverse City is a "Mask" city with a handful of assholes (who elected one county commissioner) who don't like masks. At least one of these idiots is in jail now.

All of our school districts are mask mandatory, and even the WalMart is asking people to mask up or leave.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:42 am

In Ann Arbor it is 50/50-ish. You still have some people wearing them outside walking alone or more embarrassingly while driving alone. Washtenaw is a highly vaccinated County, so it seems unnecessary.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:03 am

The Tawas area for some time now has been roughly 80 percent no masks / 20 percent masks, just about no matter where you go.

I happily ditched mine several months ago and have no plans of going back.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:09 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 am
I have found throughout the entire pandemic cities have been "Mask" cities or "Non-Mask" cities. Traverse City is a "Mask" city with a handful of assholes (who elected one county commissioner) who don't like masks. At least one of these idiots is in jail now.

All of our school districts are mask mandatory, and even the WalMart is asking people to mask up or leave.
Grand Traverse County population: 93,000
Iosco County population: 25,000

Grand Traverse County daily covid cases: 22
Iosco County daily covid cases: 6

Per-capita Daily Covid cases in Grand Traverse county - 1 in 4166
Per capita Daily Covid cases in Iosco County - 1 in 4166

Well isn't that amazing. The daily covid case rate is LITERALLY IDENTICAL in both counties, despite the wide difference in observed mask usage. It is almost as if the masks are totally useless.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:37 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:42 am
In Ann Arbor it is 50/50-ish. You still have some people wearing them outside walking alone or more embarrassingly while driving alone. Washtenaw is a highly vaccinated County, so it seems unnecessary.
Since vaccinated folks can still contract Covid, and since masks are there to "protect others", shouldn't masks be important regardless of the county's vaccination progress??

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:44 am

km1125 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:37 am
Matt wrote:
Since vaccinated folks can still contract Covid, and since masks are there to "protect others", shouldn't masks be important regardless of the county's vaccination progress??
If you wear a seat belt and are in an accident, you may be less likely to have serious injuries or die. It doesn't mean that won't happen but seatbelt usage is generally thought to be a good idea.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:29 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:44 am
km1125 wrote:
Matt wrote:
If you wear a seat belt and are in an accident, you may be less likely to have serious injuries or die. It doesn't mean that won't happen but seatbelt usage is generally thought to be a good idea.
Well, I think that's an apples-to-orangutan" comparison, but yes seat belts WILL improve your chances. LOTS of science and engineering behind that one.

However, I was specifically referring to your comment: "Washtenaw is a highly vaccinated County, so it seems unnecessary." You seem to be implying that masks are no longer necessary to a vaccinated populous.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:36 pm

Matt wrote:
km1125 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Looks like we have a pot-meet-kettle post.

To use Matt's own words that he used just today in another thread, "Textbook example of a false equivalence argument."

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:26 pm

TC Talks wrote:

There is no Wal Mart anywhere asking customers to mask up or leave...you wish it was that way, but it's not, stop the fear hysteria, we all know YOU desperately are wishing we go back to April 2020 where EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is shut down....

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:50 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:36 pm
Matt wrote:
km1125 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Looks like we have a pot-meet-kettle post.

To use Matt's own words that he used just today in another thread, "Textbook example of a false equivalence argument."
Disagree.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:51 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:26 pm
TC Talks wrote:

There is no Wal Mart anywhere asking customers to mask up or leave...you wish it was that way, but it's not, stop the fear hysteria, we all know YOU desperately are wishing we go back to April 2020 where EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is shut down....
I also believe TCT is misrepresenting the percentage of mask lemmings and is outright lying about the TC walmart.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:38 pm

Nope. Come up and take a look. The manager, Alan is free to decide the policy for his store.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:11 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:38 pm
Nope. Come up and take a look. The manager, Alan is free to decide the policy for his store.
And are you in favor of Alan being able to decide the policy for his store? Because that sure wasn't your stance last year when it came to whether or not to let business owners decide how or even if to keep their businesses open.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:42 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:11 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:38 pm
And are you in favor of Alan being able to decide the policy for his store? Because that sure wasn't your stance last year when it came to whether or not to let business owners decide how or even if to keep their businesses open.
Alan sounds like a power-tripping dickhead. I wonder how corporate feels about him being a male Karen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic