Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Van Buren County Judge Jeffrey J. Dufon is a doofus!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Van Buren County Judge Jeffrey J. Dufon is a doofus!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:54 pm

This stupid piece of shit judge's slap-on-the-wrist sentence for a would-be terrorist, who at the time was 15 years of age, led to said individual being a free man and committing a heinous murder in broad daylight today at South Haven City Beach on the pier.

Un-fucking-believable.

END QUALIFIED IMMUNITY...NOW! This judge should be sued to smithereens.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/van-buren-c ... uth-haven/
https://www.woodtv.com/news/southwest-m ... aw-paw-hs/

Bryce

Re: Van Buren County judge Judge Jeffrey J. Dufon is a doofus!

Post by Bryce » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:54 pm
This stupid piece of shit judge's slap-on-the-wrist sentence for a would-be terrorist, who at the time was 15 years of age, led to said individual being a free man and committing a heinous murder in broad daylight today at South Haven City Beach on the pier.

Un-fucking-believable.

Shouldn't have been on the bench in the first place. And yes, he should be held accountable.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Constant Listener

Post by Constant Listener » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:54 pm

Un-fucking-believable.

You’re missing one crucial part of this scenario: when he was 15, he was charged and adjudicated as a juvenile, not as an adult. I found an article online about that crime which confirmed what I thought happened: He was referred to DHS to go to a residential treatment program, which he did. Once he completed the program, he was sent back home and essentially had a juvenile probation officer through DHS. If he kept his nose clean for a period of time, DHS recommended to the Family Court that the case be closed.

While the laws in Michigan have changed about juvenile records and the arrest and charge shows up on an adult criminal history, it still says Juvenile Adjudication under the sentence. John Q Public, unless it’s a high profile case or they’re sitting in the court room, will usually never find out what happened.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:27 am

The fact he was not sentenced as an adult is inexcusable.

The standard for determining "completion" of the residential treatment program is far, far too low.

Constant Listener

Post by Constant Listener » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:31 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:27 am
The fact he was not sentenced as an adult is inexcusable.

The standard for determining "completion" of the residential treatment program is far, far too low.
Since he was charged by the prosecutor as a juvenile, he gets sentenced as a juvenile.

If the prosecutor would have waived him in Family Court to be charged as an adult, being sentenced as an adult would have been an option. However, he may have received a blended sentence where he was still sentenced as a juvenile but the court jurisdiction would have been maxed out at 21.

I’m very familiar with this process. I had to deal with another kid with the exact same charges. He also received a juvenile adjudication.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:40 am

I appreciate the info; perhaps my angst is misdirected. The county prosecutor might need to be the individual who gets held accountable here.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:36 pm

I was SPOT ON in my opening post.

The piece of shit judge declined the prosecutor office's request in 2018 to charge the perp as an adult. The prosecutor's detailed remarks from today do not jibe with what C.L. wrote above.

The current county prosecutor held that same post in 2018. She gave a very informative opening statement during a press conference held earlier today. The background she provided regarding the perp was jaw dropping, especially with respect to a diabolical journal maintained by the perp. The slap on the wrist sentence handed down in 2018 is COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE!

As the prosecutor stated, the descipable crimes carried out this week could have and should have been prevented.

audiophile

Re: Van Buren County Judge Jeffrey J. Dufon is a doofus!

Post by audiophile » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:53 pm

The lesser sentences for juveniles needs to done away with.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Hybrid sentencing was an option, as was a pure trial as an adult. Per the Sheriff, had he been tried and convicted as an adult, his minimum guaranteed prison sentence would have been 57 months.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:48 am

Why didn't the prosecutor appeal the judges ruling that is what I would've done to keep the evil person in jail for many years.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Constant Listener

Post by Constant Listener » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:46 pm

MasterB wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:48 am
Why didn't the prosecutor appeal the judges ruling that is what I would've done to keep the evil person in jail for many years.
Could have been done, as I’ve heard of District Court rulings being appealed and reversed by the Circuit Court Judge. Thing is, Prosecutor would have had to appeal it to the Court of Appeals, who may or may not have reversed the decision. On top of it, the Prosecutor can really screw himself in the future with dealings with this Judge. It’s a double edged sword

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:49 pm

Constant Listener wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:46 pm
... On top of it, the Prosecutor can really screw himself in the future with dealings with this Judge. It’s a double edged sword
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking when I read MasterB's post earlier. Not only do you not want the judge to have a grudge against you. But his fellow jurists on the bench may be a bit disgruntled for you going against one of their own.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:43 pm

Constant Listener wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:46 pm
MasterB wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:48 am
Could have been done, as I’ve heard of District Court rulings being appealed and reversed by the Circuit Court Judge. Thing is, Prosecutor would have had to appeal it to the Court of Appeals, who may or may not have reversed the decision. On top of it, the Prosecutor can really screw himself in the future with dealings with this Judge. It’s a double edged sword
Doesn't that speak more poorly on a judge's character than a prosecutor's? At the same time, I agree with your sentiment that there wasn't enough to go after a 15 year old.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic