Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Carl Levin passes

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Honeyman

Carl Levin passes

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:14 am

The censorship king from out of state.

MasterB

Re: Carl Levin passes

Post by MasterB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:33 am

R.I.P. Carl Levin.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:25 am

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:18 am

RIP, Mr Levin!

Nothing against Levin particularly but I'm sick of the media and folks in general worshiping similar folks as "public servants" like they made some big sacrifice to provide for a better society. Did he actually do anything you'd consider a sacrifice? He served for a while in many different capacities but at least for all those years in the Senate was well compensated in both salary and benefits. Not sure how that's any sacrifice even if you had to work "very hard" for "many hours".

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:40 am

I largely agree. I thought maybe he served in the military prior to his political career but he did not. That said, I know he was highly respected within armed services circles.

His noggin always looked oversized relative to the rest of his body. I'd love to know his hat size! LOL

I give the man and his entire family a lot of credit in terms of electability. If your last name is Levin (much like Dingell) and you're running for public office on this side of the state, you most likely will win effortlessly and earn considerable votes from the other side of the aisle in the process.

I respect the work he performed over his career to protect or improve the Great Lakes.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:43 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:40 am
...I respect the work he performed over his career to protect or improve the Great Lakes.
I agree, but aren't we setting the bar a bit low? After all, the representatives from the "most Great Lake" state of all the Great Lake states SHOULD have someone who advocates and accomplishes actions to improve and protect the Great Lakes.

Anything less should be considered a dereliction of duty!!

kager

Post by kager » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:56 am

RIP, Mr. Levin.

Didn't always agree with his direction, but he did bring some much-needed Federal attention, respect, and $$$ to the Mitt whilst in office.

I think he got out at the right time with regards to the current caustic political environment, but too late for any office-holder, IMO.

No one should be allowed to occupy aN elected seat in Congress for > 12 years, period.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:10 am

I agree, but aren't we setting the bar a bit low? After all, the representatives from the "most Great Lake" state of all the Great Lake states SHOULD have someone who advocates and accomplishes actions to improve and protect the Great Lakes.

Anything less should be considered a dereliction of duty!!
True.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Well, at least it can be said Levin did more in his tenure, than the other longest serving member of Congress, John Conyers, who did nothing and just brought up "reparations" every year from his seat which half the time he was asleep....

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:54 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:49 pm
Well, at least it can be said Levin did more in his tenure, than the other longest serving member of Congress, John Conyers, who did nothing and just brought up "reparations" every year from his seat which half the time he was asleep....
No, I guess the civil rights bill and movement wasn't important in your world, am I right?

As for Levin, I never cared for him. But I certainly know many Dems who liked him. Other than his efforts for veterans, no one can really tell me what he ever did. Regardless, best wishes to the family.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:00 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:54 am
lidoshuffle wrote:
No, I guess the civil rights bill and movement wasn't important in your world, am I right?

As for Levin, I never cared for him. But I certainly know many Dems who liked him. Other than his efforts for veterans, no one can really tell me what he ever did. Regardless, best wishes to the family.
Someone actually defending Conyers...should have known...

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:31 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:00 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:54 am
lidoshuffle wrote:

Someone actually defending Conyers...should have known...
Even my father, who is a diehard Republican, mourned the loss of Conyers as he was an icon. Maybe not as important as Lewis from Georgia, but he was involved in civil rights. My father knew that Conyers fought for the middle class jobs Michigan enjoyed until globalization destroyed our economy in the 80s.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:28 am

Check your keyboard, it was the late 90's when the trade deficit really took off and stayed that way.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:59 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:28 am
Check your keyboard, it was the late 90's when the trade deficit really took off and stayed that way.
The seeds were sown in the 70s, but the automobile industry was already globalized by the late 80s. Toyota had a decent market share by then.

Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:07 pm

And GM could have bought Toyota..they launched Saturn instead.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic