Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mi SOS is a f-ing MESS!!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Mi SOS is a f-ing MESS!!

Post by km1125 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:29 am

You could understand the challenges they had last year dealing with all the issues with COVID, and I thought they did a reasonably-well job. I've had to use them many times over the last few years for various purposes and have used all forms of access... in-office, self-help machines, mail-in, and phone support. It took a little bit of adjusting to the scheduling issues last year for the in-office support, but I was still able to complete things relatively "normally".

NOT THIS YEAR!!

Tried to renew some tabs at one of the machines. There was a line because everyone was having trouble getting the machine to work. Would not accept the bar-codes on their own documents, so I had to type in all the info and found you needed to type it in differently than it appeared on the document to get it to work. Helped out a few other people with this so they could get theirs done as well. When I got the registration card I realized it's sized and formatted differently so it won't fit where the old one did. Why do they need to make these BIGGER than before???

Tried to do some of the work via mail-in, to avoid needing to go into an office. Submitted the paper and payment well in advance for two transactions. About a MONTH later, I got ONE of the transactions completed, but no info on the other. I'd consider the MONTH timeline LONG, but I'd cut them a little slack for that as I got it before the expiration of the old doc, but it was JUST in time. I tried calling to follow up on the other one, but no dice. When you finally wade through the call menus, you get "no agents available at this time, try again". Tried MANY times to no avail. Went to their website and submitted a 'ticket'. Got the confirmation email back and waited a WEEK and NO RESPONSE (they could have called or emailed). Sent ANOTHER ticket in and tried calling SEVERAL more times and same result. NO RESPONSE. Over a month of calling and I sent a THIRD ticket in via their website help support and still NO RESPONSE. I was able to confirm they processed the second request as the expiration date showing on my SOS account page was updated, but I still never received the actual documents. Tried several times over that month to schedule an appt at a branch but they were booked out FOR MONTHS. Finally just went to a local branch with all my paperwork and showed the receptionist. She was able to find me an appt within a few days and when I went the agent had to resubmit the application (luckily not charging me again!). I got a temporary extension document but sitting again waiting for the permanent one in the mail.

I hope folks realize what a mess this is when Benson comes up for re-election next year. She needs to be OUT!!

craig11152

Re: Mi SOS is a f-ing MESS!!

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 am

If you want someone to blame just connect the dots...
1 Michigan Mess

5. Orange Mans fault

I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:33 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 am
If you want someone to blame just connect the dots...
1 Michigan Mess

5. Orange Mans fault
In a way, I guess you're right. In the same way that Obama led to Trump, I think Trump led the cabal of Whitmer, Nessel and Benson. So it guess it is "Orange Mans fault"!!! :)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:56 pm

What a mess, km1125. Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience.

I have not yet had a need to visit a SOS office since Benson took over. Did my plate renewal through the mail and had no issue.

I generally try to visit the SOS office as infrequently as possible!

The last two times I visited one, it was the Telegraph and 10 Mile Rd office. Had no issues. The online booking system at the time worked reasonably well. I want to say my last visit was 2019.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:45 pm

I’m thinking it’s an isolated incident. My wife’s 75 year old co worker had to use the machine at a Meijer to renew her tabs after forgetting to mail it in for renewal (they call her a dumb blonde for a reason) and had no issues in doing so. This is a person who would have trouble in doing this guaranteed, but didn’t.

I will say I used the appointment system for a client of mine and took her there. Was literally able to get in the same day in the afternoon, the next day or whenever. They made us wait outside until our time and, once inside, there were 4-5 other people waiting. Still took very little time. Despite this and even though I live in a smaller county where a wait time is 5 minutes or less, I will mail in tab renewal later this year. I don’t want to deal with making an appointment just for renewing my tabs.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:32 pm

I have used the kiosk twice and the only problem I had was the location. It was placed next to the main exit from the 'check out' lines at the Kroger's. It was being dodged by full carts as they left.
The location might be ok for the other machines but I don't think the SOS stuff should be such a high traffic area if for nothing else buy piece of mind and potential lines of people waiting.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:21 am

tapeisrolling wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:32 pm
I have used the kiosk twice and the only problem I had was the location. It was placed next to the main exit from the 'check out' lines at the Kroger's. It was being dodged by full carts as they left.
The location might be ok for the other machines but I don't think the SOS stuff should be such a high traffic area if for nothing else buy piece of mind and potential lines of people waiting.
What? You got carted at Kroger? :lol

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 am

Based on the recent stories in the news and the changes that the SOS is currently making, I'm guessing my experience wasn't unique. Most of the changes they are talking about are just getting on-site appointments though, not anything (so far) about the phone support or email.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 am

Everyone I know that has gone at 8 AM has been able to get a same day appointment. Had no problems with tabs in November either.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15621

Post by Deleted User 15621 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:49 am

Ordered my tabs online on 7-20-21 and received them in the mail on 7-23-21. It took a total of 3 days.

kager

Post by kager » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:26 am

No issues with SOS office ops in the past year here... tabs, renewals and title changes all went smoothly, whether via mail or in-person appointment.

MDOT is the f-ing mess to me.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:01 pm

My mother visited an SOS office in Ottawa County a week ago. It was a total mess! She was not called to the window until 50 minutes after her scheduled appointment time.

I'm told the main problem is every single appointment is earmarked 10 minutes despite the fact some people need far more than 10 minutes to complete their business. This causes an expanding delay as the day moves along.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic