Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Two things about Wayne County that bug me

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Two things about Wayne County that bug me

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:17 pm

Issue #1: Connor Creek pump station inadequacies
Candice Miller (Macomb County Public Works Commissioner) was absolutely correct in calling for an independent investigation of the shortcomings at the Connor Creek pumping station & water plant on Detroit's east side with regard to its ineffectiveness at handling last week's flooding.

I understand the facility has six pumps and usually five are in operation at any one time (if I remember correctly).

THE VERY FIRST question our incompetent local media should be asking the GWA Director is this: why on earth are only two (!!!) pumps at that facility equipped with back up generators?

The second question that should be asked: how much would it cost to equip the remaining pumps with backup generators?

The third question that should be asked: were past efforts to equip additional pumps with backup generators quashed, and if so, by whom?

Power outages in Michigan usually occur during severe weather events. Those events sometimes bring very heavy precipitation. Seems to me you'd want the ability to operate at 100 percent capacity on generator power, not 40 percent (or less) capacity.

The anecdotal stories of the people who have suffered tens of thousands of dollars' worth of personal property damage are illuminating and definitely need to be told, but why haven't the media posed the above questions to GWA honchos???

Issue #2: Renaming DTW's north terminal after Wayne County Executive, Warren Evans
I find this act rather distasteful.

For starters, the man was uninvolved with the construction or funding of DTW's North Terminal.

Secondly, what, exactly, has Evans accomplished in office that is deserving of such an honor? Didn't he resign as Detroit Police Chief due to a controversy?

Third, I generally am not a fan of naming freeways, big public buildings, etc. after politicians unless they accomplished something of positive, long-lasting historical significance and are already out of office or deceased. Naming the terminal after John Dingell would've been more fitting than naming it after Evans.

Or, how about picking a heroic military veteran for the honor instead?

MichMash

Re: Two things about Wayne County that bug me

Post by MichMash » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:32 pm

Naming the terminal after John Dingell would've been more fitting than naming it after Evans.
The south end of the airport access road running north from Eureka Rd. was named for Dingell. The north end is named for former Tiger Billy Rogell. But I agree with your point that there must be someone more worthy than Evans to name the terminal after.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Kind reminds of the name of governor or the name of secretary the of state names on signs.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:00 am

Not a fan of naming places after living officials. As said, he doesn't have the best track record.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:13 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:00 am
Not a fan of naming places after living officials. As said, he doesn't have the best track record.
Ed McNamara brought us Kwame Kilpatrick and Jennifer Granholm. Apparently having your name on a terminal at DTW is not a high bar to jump.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:19 pm

I agree on both fronts. Why aren't the media following up more on the causes of the flooding, both at Connor Creek but also on that western section of I-94. I recall hearing one report early on the flooding on I-94 that the pumps had failed (perhaps due to loss of power?) but that MDOT just "didn't have any folks" to address the situation. That should be complete BS and highlight the lack of cooperation between MDOT and county folks. I'm sure Wayne County (or any of the nearby counties) could have scrambled folks to get a generator there to power the equipment. However, that also assumes some critical infrastructure like that has the capability for hooking into the equipment. If it doesn't, then that's another ding on the media for not following up. Any of those critical locations should not only have their own standby power (it's really not that expensive to do) and also a connection for a temp generator.

Agree on the naming thing. Politicians ARE too self-important, and bloating their heads by adding long-lasting names to anything is just crazy. There are many other folks who really did contribute to society or lost their lives trying to help others and those folks should be remembered long after the politicians have bit the dust.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:18 pm

I feel very strongly about your point #2. I thought he heard this on the radio the other day and thought I heard incorrectly. How about that Warren Evans gets his name on something? Makes no sense, Dingell would have been totally appropriate, guess he's out of the cycle of news so people have already forgot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic