Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2022 political predictions

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

2022 political predictions

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:02 pm

Let's make some political predictions in our state for next year's midterms.

The big one obviously is governor. Do you think Whitmer will be defeated? Sadly, if I HAD to make a prediction right now, I'd say she narrowly gets re-elected. A lot of time to go though.

Rate This

Re: 2022 political predictions

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:02 pm
Let's make some political predictions in our state for next year's midterms.

The big one obviously is governor. Do you think Whitmer will be defeated? Sadly, if I HAD to make a prediction right now, I'd say she narrowly gets re-elected. A lot of time to go though.
She gets narrowly re-elected and Republicans squander retaking the house and senate at the federal level by focusing too much on culture war issues that nobody cares about as they never really find something to hit Biden over the head with that resonates outside their base.

Democrats take a narrow majority in the states House delegation following the non-partisan redistricting.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 pm

Will re-districting alone flip 4 House seats?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:38 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 pm
I think Republicans hold on to both chambers of the Michigan Legislature.

For the gubernatorial race, Whitmer will face at least one primary challenger, which will use up some $$$ she could use in the general election cycle. The general election will be very close. If a decently well known Republican wins that party's primary, it will be within 2% either way in the general election.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:57 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 pm
Michigan was Gerrymandered rather badly by the Republicans so it easily could do that. There are more Democrats than Republicans here. A fairly drawn map will reflect something far different than what we have now.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:23 pm

In 2018, Whitmer had two tailwinds that she won't have in 2022:
  • The MeToo movement, which was at its peak.
  • The ballot proposal to legalize marijuana.
But she will have the ad agency that produced those emotionally powerful commercials that helped her connect with people better than Bill Schuette. I didn't vote for her, but those commercials were very well done, and the press conferences are being done in the same style.

A key to Republican success will be a strong focus on her mistakes during the pandemic. I can image commercials that show her appearance on Comedy Central at the beginning of the pandemic, when there was much fear and uncertainty.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:21 pm

The fact that Shirkey is at the helm makes me worry less. I do think Chief Craig could be a major concern if he can gain traction outside of metro Detroit. If not, then Whitmer wins.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Agreed.

James Craig is the wildcard. If he chooses to run and proves to me a congenial and well versed candidate, Whitmer could be in trouble.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:31 pm

Whitmer is toast if anyone runs that is reasonable and has common sense.

The roads and 45 cent tax increase will come back to bite her.

Read My lips....no gas tax increases of 20 cents......ER my bad, I meant 45 cents!

So disingenuous!
During a televised Oct. 12 debate in Grand Rapids, Whitmer’s Republican opponent, then-Attorney General Bill Schuette, accused her of wanting to increase the fuel tax by 20 cents a gallon.

“That’s ridiculous,” Whitmer said.

“No, it’s not,” Schuette protested.

“It’s nonsense, and you know it,” Whitmer fired back.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 080369002/

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:13 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:31 pm
Whitmer is toast if anyone runs that is reasonable and has common sense.

The roads and 45 cent tax increase will come back to bite her.

Read My lips....no gas tax increases of 20 cents......ER my bad, I meant 45 cents!

So disingenuous!
Wow you really get narrow focused and lose the big picture quickly don't you?

You get hard on for issues related to oil and gas, and it it just doesn't matter as much to most of the state particularly when a great lake is in Jeopardy over the issue.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:10 pm

The "...great lake(SIC) is in Jeopardy..." because she didn't get her 45 cent gas tax?

Never mind lost focus...dude your PROJECTOR IS BROKE! :rollin

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic