Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ding-Dong The 1945 EO Law Is Dead!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Ding-Dong The 1945 EO Law Is Dead!

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:16 pm

It's sad that this had to be done in the first place - but we're dealing with a power hungry person. Also the two democrats on the board of canvassers look like dummies too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... bing&pfr=1

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Re: Ding-Dong The 1945 EO Law Is Dead!

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:21 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:16 pm
Also the two democrats on the board of canvassers look like dummies too.
I personally think it is worse than that. I think their actions arguably rise to the level of dereliction of duty. It makes me mad that there won't be any further consequences to these 2 people other than being forced to do their job.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:42 pm

Total power grab done purposely before their conniving gerrymandering is undone. Fuck the state house and senate.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:14 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:42 pm
Total power grab done purposely before their conniving gerrymandering is undone. Fuck the state house and senate.
+1

The GOP members of the State house and senate are despicable

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:57 pm

Realist wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:14 pm
+1

The GOP members of the State house and senate are despicable
Except the ruling was from the Michigan Supreme Court. UNANIMOUS, despite a 4-3 dem majority.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:29 am

1945 law was a power grab by governor Bitchmer last year glad that the Michigan Supreme Court got rid of the 1945 law which was an abuse of power by Bitchmer. Your sig is wrong the GOP isn't denying water to voters that are in line voting which would be a bribe for a vote if both parties were giving away free food & water in the line to vote it's ok for nonpartisan groups to hand out food & water for voters in line to vote.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:27 am

Yeah this is definitely some revisionist history from MCRF and Realist as the emergency powers, per the state Constitution, lie WITH THE LEGISLATIVE BRANCH. They only ended up in the hands of the executive branch via voluntary delegation of said powers by the legislative branch. At this point, the legislature is only getting back what was rightfully theirs to begin with.

This would be like if I bought a new car (thus becoming its legal owner), lent it to my friend, and then somehow -I- was the asshole for wanting it back.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:27 am
Yeah this is definitely some revisionist history from MCRF and Realist as the emergency powers, per the state Constitution, lie WITH THE LEGISLATIVE BRANCH. They only ended up in the hands of the executive branch via voluntary delegation of said powers by the legislative branch. At this point, the legislature is only getting back what was rightfully theirs to begin with.

This would be like if I bought a new car (thus becoming its legal owner), lent it to my friend, and then somehow -I- was the asshole for wanting it back.
Exactly BMW!

Let's not forget the 1976 EO law remains, which is effective for a month, unless extended by legislature.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:09 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 am
Exactly BMW!

Let's not forget the 1976 EO law remains, which is effective for a month, unless extended by legislature.
Moreover, I would add that the only "power grab" that took place here was Whitmer abusing her veto power to prevent the legislature from taking back what was rightfully theirs. I can't remember if I argued this in here before (a moot point now since the Republicans ultimately prevailed in Court), but MY legal argument would have been that Whitmer improperly used her veto power to effectively grant herself power that wasn't hers to begin with - essentially, that she used her veto to obstruct the legislature from doing something it was otherwise entitled to do.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:01 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:09 am
audiophile wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 am
Exactly BMW!

Moreover, I would add that the only "power grab" that took place here was Whitmer abusing her veto power to prevent the legislature from taking back what was rightfully theirs. I can't remember if I argued this in here before (a moot point now since the Republicans ultimately prevailed in Court), but MY legal argument would have been that Whitmer improperly used her veto power to effectively grant herself power that wasn't hers to begin with - essentially, that she used her veto to obstruct the legislature from doing something it was otherwise entitled to do.
I would agree with that. The 1945 law was never intended to to circumvent the legislature in normal peacetime.

She should have, at least, allowed the bill become law through by doing nothing.

The Veto was the ultimate slap in the face to the legislative branch.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:06 pm

The law was declared un-constitutional, but is technically still on the books. It is still there, but can not be enforced.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 am

Which is why it was no-brainer for the canvassers to allow it to proceed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic