Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Enbridge gives Whitmer the finger, refuses to close pipeline

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Enbridge gives Whitmer the finger, refuses to close pipeline

Post by bmw » Thu May 13, 2021 4:35 pm

In defiance of an order by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to cease operations by Wednesday, Canadian oil transport giant Enbridge continued to flow 23 million gallons of crude oil and natural gas liquids through Line 5, its controversial, 68-year-old twin pipelines on the Straits of Mackinac lake bottom.

Whitmer on Tuesday, in a letter to Vern Yu, Enbridge’s executive vice president for liquids pipelines, said continued operation of the line after Wednesday “constitutes an intentional trespass” and that the company would do so “at its own risk.”

“If the state prevails in the underlying litigation, Enbridge will face the prospect of having to disgorge to the state all profits it derives from its wrongful use of the easement lands following that date,” she said.

Enbridge is continuing to operate Line 5, saying Whitmer's order amounts to attempting to regulate interstate pipeline safety, which the company believes is the sole jurisdiction of the federal government.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 042374001/

So basically they're saying Whitmer is abusing her power as governor and telling her to go pound sand. GOOD.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Enbridge gives Whitmer the finger, refuses to close pipeline

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 13, 2021 4:39 pm

So, businesses get to break laws in your playbook? Enbridge should rule the state with their polluting ways? What a sad sock of shit you are, but we're the sheep...

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Michigan could sue for any profits after today.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Thu May 13, 2021 5:32 pm

I've been pretty critical of Whitmer lately, but this is one are I really appreciate the aggressive posture and leave the legality for the courts to decide. I consider Bridge Michigan to be quite fair and balanced in their journalism.

My conclusion is that Enbridge has a shady history and has already caused a billion dollar environmental disaster in our state (see: Kalamazoo River oil spill). The biggest hurdle to overcome would be replenishing the natural gas supply for the UP, and I've yet to see viable plans for that, but nonetheless, I trust that the market will find a solution given the safety constraints. The realistic prospect of a spill in the Mackinac Straits is just an untenable position to justify the status quo.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 pm

But only win a lawsuit if a court determines that the State has standing on their claim.

Enbridge's stance that the Feds have jurisdiction isn't just a fantasy. Their lawyers must know something about how all this works.

I respect the Whitmer administration for taking a stand on this - our Great Lakes need to be protected. I just don't know how much of a leg they actually have to stand on.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 13, 2021 7:36 pm

If only this administration hadn't fought the tunnel construction so hard...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm

I agree that the tunnel seemed liked a reasonable solution; I don't understand the argument (is there one?) for not allowing it to proceed.

That being said, the propaganda ads paid for by Enbridge that are flooding the airwaves are loaded with half-truths.

The main reason Enbridge wants to keep Line 5 open? It is the main source of feedstock for their refinery in Sarnia, Ontario. That refinery will be forced to close if Line 5 closes. Such a closure would be a big deal for Sarnia-Lambton.

I do believe Enbridge is correct that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has jurisdiction regarding the operation of any interstate pipeline such as Line 5.

https://guides.loc.gov/oil-and-gas-indu ... ne%20state.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:36 pm
If only this administration hadn't fought the tunnel construction so hard...
Yes, that was pretty crazy. They should have been pushing to get it done sooner, so that the current line could be decommissioned.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 14, 2021 12:43 am

Tell me about the tunnel. What was proposed?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 14, 2021 5:47 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:43 am
Tell me about the tunnel. What was proposed?
https://www.interlochenpublicradio.org/ ... ittle-else

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Fri May 14, 2021 12:18 pm

I'm sympathetic to arguments regarding the robustness of environmental safety protocols with any new pipeline being built - even as a tunnel that goes under the straits. However, I do think the arguments against the longer term fossil fuel emissions are shortsighted. While I fully endorse a transition completely away from fossil fuels, the transition needs to be done with both a sense of urgency to mitigate a worsening climate crisis, but also the due diligence that avoids the ramifications of an energy crisis.

Pipelines are overall the safest and cleanest mode of transport of fossil fuels. We need them during the transition. At the same time, we have to plan for a post fossil fuel world.

Build the tunnel (which as of latest reports is currently in the construction bidding phase).

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

G G

Post by G G » Fri May 14, 2021 1:10 pm

Whitmer needs to learn her place. It seems as though the little lady is so short that these issues go straight over her head.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:56 pm

G G wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:10 pm
Whitmer needs to learn her place. It seems as though the little lady is so short that these issues go straight over her head.
Or just in one ear and out there other... there's quite a void in between!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat May 15, 2021 11:23 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:18 pm
I'm sympathetic to arguments regarding the robustness of environmental safety protocols with any new pipeline being built - even as a tunnel that goes under the straits. However, I do think the arguments against the longer term fossil fuel emissions are shortsighted. While I fully endorse a transition completely away from fossil fuels, the transition needs to be done with both a sense of urgency to mitigate a worsening climate crisis, but also the due diligence that avoids the ramifications of an energy crisis.

Pipelines are overall the safest and cleanest mode of transport of fossil fuels. We need them during the transition. At the same time, we have to plan for a post fossil fuel world.

Build the tunnel (which as of latest reports is currently in the construction bidding phase).
Fossil fuels aren't ever going to go away always going to need it. I'm for everything solar, wind, fossil fuels, etc. I believe in climate change just not an alarmist about it like Bernie Sanders, AOC, etc. Jennifer Granholm sucks as Energy Sec since she doesn't know jack about the energy she only got the job because she is a BFF with Biden she didn't get those green jobs in Michigan either it was an epic fail when she was Gov of Michigan. And her comment about having gas cars saying you should get the electric car does she not know that you need the power to charge the car no power no car.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 16, 2021 11:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm
I agree that the tunnel seemed liked a reasonable solution; I don't understand the argument (is there one?) for not allowing it to proceed.

That being said, the propaganda ads paid for by Enbridge that are flooding the airwaves are loaded with half-truths.

The main reason Enbridge wants to keep Line 5 open? It is the main source of feedstock for their refinery in Sarnia, Ontario. That refinery will be forced to close if Line 5 closes. Such a closure would be a big deal for Sarnia-Lambton.

I do believe Enbridge is correct that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has jurisdiction regarding the operation of any interstate pipeline such as Line 5.

https://guides.loc.gov/oil-and-gas-indu ... ne%20state.
It’s basically a pipeline just passing through on its way too and from Canada with Canadian oil is it not? If so they can go all the way around the lakes on the Canadian side. Fuck em. There’s no benefit to being used as a shortcut.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic