Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stunner! Chief James Craig to retire.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Stunner! Chief James Craig to retire.

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 07, 2021 4:58 pm

The Detroit News is reporting the highly popular Detroit Police Chief is stepping down from his post after eight years.

Rumors are hot and heavy he intends to run for Governor in 2022, possibly as a Republican!

He seldom if ever has discussed his personal political views on non-law enforcement issues publicly. I find his potential candidacy intriguing.

km1125

Re: Stunner! Chief James Craig to retire.

Post by km1125 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:19 pm

Crap. He is/was a bright spot in Detroit's future. Always seemed to talk some common sense and not allow things to get out of hand.

However, he would get a LOT of support if he ran against the witch - no matter which party he was doing it as.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri May 07, 2021 5:36 pm

With as much media as he has been doing of late, I expected a political run of some sort. I think Governor would be a mistake first time out.

In either case, it is a major blow to law enforcement in the City of Detroit.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri May 07, 2021 8:58 pm

The censorship king from out of state.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 pm

Saw that tonight on the news and was shocked and saddened.Chief Craig has been the only thing holding Detroit together and not turning into the summer of 1967 2.0.

My gut tells me he is being forced out by the radical elements on the force and council that doesnt like his pro law enforcement agenda and isnt radical enough to be police chief of a majority black city.

Lets see if my hunches are right.....the next DPD police chief will be an african american woman. You heard it here first folks :wink:

Thankyou Chief Craig for your service and trying to make the rule of law relevant in the motorcity.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat May 08, 2021 1:33 am

I think he will defeat Governor Whitmer. He will get enough of the Detroit vote to turn the tide.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 08, 2021 7:44 am

My gut tells me he is being forced out by the radical elements on the force and council that doesnt like his pro law enforcement agenda and isnt radical enough to be police chief of a majority black city.
I doubt that. While there certainly has been criticism of a few specific policies or actions of the DPD - especially with regard to usage of facial recognition software - the number of folks requesting Chief Craig's ouster represent only a small minority of Detroit's residents.

He by no means comes as across as an "old school" jackbooted police officer. Far from it. His approach to policing is modern and community oriented.

I also suspect the rank and file on the force in very large numbers hold Chief Craig in high regard.
Chief Craig has been the only thing holding Detroit together and not turning into the summer of 1967 2.0.
Not sure I completely agree here. Mayor Duggan as well as some folks on city council deserve credit, as do the residents themselves. Don't get me wrong; Chief Craig has generally performed superbly in his current job. His upcoming retirement will be a tremendous loss to the city.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:10 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:33 am
I think he will defeat Governor Whitmer. He will get enough of the Detroit vote to turn the tide.
Detroit voters doing something that benefits the state as a whole?? THAT would be refreshing!!! (and welcome!)
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:44 am
Chief Craig has been the only thing holding Detroit together and not turning into the summer of 1967 2.0.
Not sure I completely agree here. Mayor Duggan as well as some folks on city council deserve credit, as do the residents themselves. Don't get me wrong; Chief Craig has generally performed superbly in his current job. His upcoming retirement will be a tremendous loss to the city.
I do think Chief Craig is a LARGE part of that, and Duggan's role was in largely supporting Chief Craig's actions instead of undermining them like we see in other cities.

I don't know if the resident matter -at least on average-, as I'm sure none of the cities that burned really wanted that to happen in their cities either. Much of the problem folks and instigators of violence come from outside the city and even the state.
Last edited by km1125 on Sat May 08, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 08, 2021 9:20 am

Completely agree the Chief deserves a large part of the credit for the relative calm in Detroit.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:25 am

I won't say the guy is irreplaceable but it won't be easy. To steal a phrase from sports when a good coach moves on you can't just shake the Coaching Tree and grab whatever hits the ground

I no longer directly engage trolls

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am

I'd vote for Chief James Craig if he runs for governor of Michigan.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 09, 2021 7:47 am

If - on the campaign trail - he goes "over" with typical GOP primary voters and if he performs well in stump speeches and on the debate stage - Republican voters would be insane not to unify and rally behind his candidacy.

On paper, he BY FAR is the strongest candidate at this stage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun May 09, 2021 8:13 am

Expect the racist attacks from the woke left to start the moment he announces.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:24 am

Matt wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:13 am
Expect the racist attacks from the woke left to start the moment he announces.
If he runs as a republican he ain't really black
Sincerely, Joe Biden

I no longer directly engage trolls

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun May 09, 2021 2:02 pm

This is total 100% irresponsible speculation and just my opinion, Chief Craig is retiring and wants to run as Gov against Gretch, also you just know he wants to kick Rashida Tlaib's radical left ass right into the Detroit River... :rollin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic