Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rollback on restrictions isn't working

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Rollback on restrictions isn't working

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:18 pm

Michigan now is the worst state for virus spread. It's time to put the restrictions back in place and get us back to where we were in February.
But during that period, states also rolled back virus control measures, and now mobility data shows a rise in people socializing and traveling. Amid all this, more-contagious variants have been gaining a foothold, and new cases are almost 20 percent higher than they were at the lowest point in March.

“It is a pretty complex situation, because behavior is changing, but you’ve also got this change in the virus itself at the same time,” said Emily Martin, an epidemiologist at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.

Cases are up in states with strong variant presence.
Michigan has seen the sharpest rise in cases in the last few weeks. B.1.1.7 — the more transmissible and more deadly variant of the coronavirus that was first discovered in the United Kingdom — may now make up around 70 percent of all of the state’s new cases, according to the Helix data.
NYTimes

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Re: Rollback on restrictions isn't working

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:18 pm
Michigan now is the worst state for virus spread. It's time to put the restrictions back in place and get us back to where we were in February.
But during that period, states also rolled back virus control measures, and now mobility data shows a rise in people socializing and traveling. Amid all this, more-contagious variants have been gaining a foothold, and new cases are almost 20 percent higher than they were at the lowest point in March.

“It is a pretty complex situation, because behavior is changing, but you’ve also got this change in the virus itself at the same time,” said Emily Martin, an epidemiologist at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.

Michigan has seen the sharpest rise in cases in the last few weeks. B.1.1.7 — the more transmissible and more deadly variant of the coronavirus that was first discovered in the United Kingdom — may now make up around 70 percent of all of the state’s new cases, according to the Helix data.
NYTimes
I agree but I’m afraid the horse is out of the barn. Driving around Ann Arbor today looks like any day I’ve ever seen pre-pandemic. It’s notably busy everywhere.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:40 pm

That is why my kid isn't in Ann Arbor right now. But it is bad everywhere. Our County preemptively shut down the school systems because the drive up instant test on Monday demonstrated many kids came back from spring break infected.

This time it's putting people in their 30s and 40s in the hospital. Let's see how this pans out for those who haven't gotten vaccinated yet.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:57 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm
TC Talks wrote:

NYTimes
I agree but I’m afraid the horse is out of the barn. Driving around Ann Arbor today looks like any day I’ve ever seen pre-pandemic. It’s notably busy everywhere.
You are both wrong, even Whitmer is admitting that the restrictions were very shortsighted. She is saying the issue is we delayed enough people getting antibodies.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:04 pm

Lockdowns don't work and data is proving it plus you can't prove that eating out or going to movies is causing the uptick in the COVID numbers. I think the big thing is COVID out it's been a year at this point everyone knows it's a risk just got to live and deal with it since there is light at the end of the tunnel now with the vaccine. And I have no problem with those that want to stay home until COVID is gone at this point it is a personal choice.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:05 pm

Meanwhile, back on the wide open ranch...
Texas COVID-19 Cases Down More Than 12% In Last 2 Weeks
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/03/30/tex ... ases-down/

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:26 pm

Bryce wrote:Meanwhile, back on the wide open ranch...
What are they doing that we aren’t..... aside from the weather is warmer there and the people are spread out more (maybe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm

RayQix wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:26 pm
What are they doing that we aren’t..... aside from the weather is warmer there and the people are spread out more (maybe)

Less draconian and shorter time frame of lockdowns? I'm sure their higher degree of sunlight, which provides the best source of vitamin D, has something to do with it too.

I was on a job in Florida and spent a couple of days working on a very populated nude beach, not one person that I talked to had gotten Covid-19. It was rather amusing seeing people without a stitch on yet wearing a mask. Keep in mind Florida had some of the weakest restrictions in place of all the states.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:37 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm
RayQix wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:26 pm

Less draconian and shorter time frame of lockdowns? I'm sure their higher degree of sunlight, which provides the best source of vitamin D, has something to do with it too.

I was on a job in Florida and spent a couple of days working on on a very populated nude beach, not one person that I talked to had gotten Covid-19. It was rather amusing seeing people without a stitch on yet wearing a mask. Keep in mind Florida had some of the weakest restrictions in place of all the states.
If stereotypes of nude beachgoers are accurate, they aren't necessarily specimens of health either.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:42 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:37 pm
If stereotypes of nude beachgoers are accurate, they aren't necessarily specimens of health either.
I think the older fat people are what populate and are members of most of the nudist clubs.

This public beach was pretty much a cross section of society. About the same demographic you would see, at say, Somerset Mall. Much better and healthier than the folks you would see at a Walmart.

Met two single girls from Iowa who were very pleasant to talk to AND look at. It was their first time at a nude beach. They hated the crowd and people at the party beach and decided to try this one. They loved it and were going to try and talk their friends into coming the next day.

Sad to say, I think things that people in reasonable health have complete control over, diet, exercise, sunlight/vitamin D and sleep have much more to do with who contracts this thing than any other single thing. If I'm not mistaken Michigan is near the top of the list when it comes to obesity.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:25 pm

Obesity rates in the US...

And Texas has dismal mortality rates.

― Noam Chomsky

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 pm

TC Talks wrote:

NYTimes

Michigan has more restrictions now than other states. That means restrictions are not working and should remove them and follow states that have lower numbers than Michigan.

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:04 pm

Florida and Texas can do outdoor dining, and we can't most of the spring. Makes a big difference.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:20 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:04 pm
Florida and Texas can do outdoor dining, and we can't most of the spring. Makes a big difference.
How many times do you have to hear: Restaurants. Are. Not. The. Problem.

The problem, as even Whitmer is now subtly admitting, is the fact that we had a first shutdown that went too long AND the fact that we even had a second shutdown.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:40 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:20 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:04 pm
How many times do you have to hear: Restaurants. Are. Not. The. Problem.

The problem, as even Whitmer is now subtly admitting, is the fact that we had a first shutdown that went too long AND the fact that we even had a second shutdown.
Perhaps you haven't noticed that she hasn't shut restaurants down. But let's not even try because it seems that most of the people I know who are dying were Trump voters. Four in the last 10 days.

You want to be an advocate for reckless behavior? Be sure you understand the consequences.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic