Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Common Sense Gun Control Measures For Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Common Sense Gun Control Measures For Michigan

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:30 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:17 pm
tapeisrolling wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:42 pm
Maybe the problem is that most of the gun laws are so loose and up to a judge to make the call. If It was like owning a car then the law would be cut a dry. You own a gun you need to have some kind of record of owner ship like a license and if it's lost or stolen then you are responsible to notify police asap or you can be also included in any prosecution for illegal usage of the weapon.
When the Amendment was conceived a gun took between 1 and 3 minutes to load ! shot. Times have changed....

Cars were never thought of in 1790 but we keep updating the laws on owning and using all the time.
Again, the vast majority of gun crimes are committed by people that aren't supposed to have a firearm in the first place. People under 21 and convicted felons. Strengthening the penalties for possessing and carrying a firearm illegally and increasing the enforcement thereof and a big dent will be made in our community virtually overnight.
Quite a bit of the gun violence (like mo at violence really) is domestic. Most people know their assailants.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:24 am

Or make it a requirement - OR POLICY - for the prosecutors to request the judge leave the restrictions on gun ownership in place even though they are only convicted of a misdemeanor. That's possible right now, isn't it?
I do not believe that is possible if you are referring to a case that's already been adjudicated and did not result in a felony conviction.

Distinct & separate from a criminal trial situation, firearm removal is permitted in some states where certain types of protective orders or restraining orders have been issued.

Colorado, by the way, *does* have a red flag gun law in place. However, extreme risk protection orders filed under that law automatically expire after 364 days. And if a family member fails to petition the court in the first place, no action can be taken.

I think a LOT of scrutiny needs to be placed on the Boulder shooter's parents.

https://www.governing.com/archive/tns-r ... orado.html

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:06 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:24 am

Bingo!
A family member of the Boulder, Colorado, shooting suspect told police she saw him "playing" with a gun that looked like a "machine gun" and took it away from him two days before the deadly rampage.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:24 am
Or make it a requirement - OR POLICY - for the prosecutors to request the judge leave the restrictions on gun ownership in place even though they are only convicted of a misdemeanor. That's possible right now, isn't it?
I do not believe that is possible if you are referring to a case that's already been adjudicated and did not result in a felony conviction.

Distinct & separate from a criminal trial situation, firearm removal is permitted in some states where certain types of protective orders or restraining orders have been issued.

Colorado, by the way, *does* have a red flag gun law in place. However, extreme risk protection orders filed under that law automatically expire after 364 days. And if a family member fails to petition the court in the first place, no action can be taken.

I don't know the exact or best mechanism to do it, nor some of the possible Constitutional implications that might be involved, as BMW noted. However, there might be a way as part of the negotiation in lowering the charges from a felony to a misdemeanor that the defendant agrees to waive their 2A rights for some set period of time. This might be considered similar to the Miranda Warning and how it is related to a defendant's 5th and 6th Amendment rights which are also guaranteed in the Constitution.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:43 pm

Suspect in stolen vehicle leads police on chase in Farmington Hills
Police say the SUV was reported stolen from Detroit
Officers were monitoring the parking lot of a hookah lounge in the area of 12 Mile and Orchard Lake roads where there had been trouble. They spotted a Dodge Durango that was reported stolen from Detroit.

Dashcam video shows officers trying to stop the driver with their vehicles. After major impact, the suspect got out of the SUV and took off.

Body cam footage shows officers chasing the man, even jumping over a fence. They were able to catch the suspect after tasing him.

“The next morning, during daylight, investigators recovered a fully loaded handgun from the area believed to be involved in the incident,” said Police Chief Jeff King.
Come to find out, the suspect that was arrested was out on bond from an arrest for a shooting incident late in 2020 at Somerset Mall. Why the hell is someone involved in a shooting, carrying a gun illegally, out on bond?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:12 am

Here's what bothers me about Red Flag laws. Here's a couple of paragraphs quoted from the article that MW linked on Monday:

... "The law signed Friday will let law enforcement, a family member or a household member ask a judge to temporarily remove a person's firearms. The judge would hold a hearing -- without the gun owner being present -- to decide whether to grant that order for up to 14 days.

During those two weeks, all the parties would have to appear before the judge, who would then determine whether the firearms should be kept for up to 364 days. The burden of proof is on the gun owner to prove they should be returned -- the provision that Brauchler said prompted his opposition ... "

This just seems ripe for vengeful abuse.

A good example would be a nasty divorce. The woman decides "I'll show him" and falsely claims she were abused. Bam!!! All the guns of an avid sportsman are pulled, then there's a hearing where she tells her story without him present. Then he has to prove everything being said is false to get anything back.

Good luck when it's "He said, She said". Yes or no?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:05 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:12 am
Here's what bothers me about Red Flag laws. Here's a couple of paragraphs quoted from the article that MW linked on Monday:

... "The law signed Friday will let law enforcement, a family member or a household member ask a judge to temporarily remove a person's firearms. The judge would hold a hearing -- without the gun owner being present -- to decide whether to grant that order for up to 14 days.

During those two weeks, all the parties would have to appear before the judge, who would then determine whether the firearms should be kept for up to 364 days. The burden of proof is on the gun owner to prove they should be returned -- the provision that Brauchler said prompted his opposition ... "

A good example would be a nasty divorce. The woman decides "I'll show him" and falsely claims she were abused. Bam!!! All the guns of an avid sportsman are pulled, then there's a hearing where she tells her story without him present. Then he has to prove everything being said is false to get anything back.

Moral to that story... don’t be an asshole.

Abuse seems likely.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:05 am
Mike Oxlong wrote:

Abuse seems likely.
Geez. Did you even understand what I was saying? She FALSELY accuses him out of spite.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:35 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:27 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:05 am
Mike Oxlong wrote:

Abuse seems likely.
Geez. Did you even understand what I was saying? She FALSELY accuses him out of spite.
Annnnnnnnnd.... swing and a miss.

Abuse of this seems likely. Happy now? I was friggin agreeing with you.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 pm

Bidengirl wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 pm
There is no “common sense” gun control measures.

Criminals don’t follow laws.

Restricting law-abiding citizens from defending themselves ensures there will be more innocent victims.
you better stock up on plenty of guns and ammo and lock yourself in your bunker.

My favorite quote for today is that Biden is just getting started.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:21 pm

It is not the guns that are killing people, it is the wackos who are using the guns. Don't ban the guns, ban the wackos.

It seems that Bidengirl wants to have a law 'firearm in possession of felon', not 'felon in possession of firearm'.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:35 pm

If police are having trouble controlling those excessively speeding on I-696 and plenty of people complaining about it and some of those folks recklessly speeding causing fatal injury accidents....

Should they just lower the legal speed limit 10 MPH and all those problems go away?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:23 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:35 pm
If police are having trouble controlling those excessively speeding on I-696 and plenty of people complaining about it and some of those folks recklessly speeding causing fatal injury accidents....

Should they just lower the legal speed limit 10 MPH and all those problems go away?
That does sound fairly logical.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic