Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan legislature working on bill to clean up voter rolls

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Michigan legislature working on bill to clean up voter rolls

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:19 am

I'm sure our wonderful governor will be waiting and ready with her veto pen for this one.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/XGR-M ... d/1013723/

Rate This

Re: Michigan legislature working on bill to clean up voter rolls

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:00 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:19 am
I'm sure our wonderful governor will be waiting and ready with her veto pen for this one.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/XGR-M ... d/1013723/
So government should now require you to vote regularly in order for you to remain registered? Thanks comrade.

If I don’t want to vote for 30 years as a fuck you because everybody sucks there should be no penalty for that. Having a name on a list doesn’t hurt anything. This is just a way to have fewer voters on the rolls. Republicans think fewer voters will help them win more, something there isn’t that much evidence for. No thanks. Some of those people are even in error THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN! Somehow “we made a mistake now you fix it or you’re off our list” doesn’t sound kosher.

The Republican Party continues to come up with solutions in search of problems and has no answers to the actual challenges we face. Then they get outraged about Dr. Seuss and such to rile people up to vote for them instead of running on a platform (none in 2020) or trying to make things better for their constituents (no substantive legislation) or attempting to be a normal political party.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:38 pm

The litmus test in the proposed legislation is the 2000 Presidential election. That is a very lengthy stretch of time.

I guess I'm on the opposite side of this issue from you, Rate This. I think the grace period is too lenient.

How many snow birds in Florida are registered to vote here (or another northern state) + there concurrently? I bet the number is substantial! The scuzzy politicians on both sides of the aisle seem unwilling to broach that issue.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:38 pm
The litmus test in the proposed legislation is the 2000 Presidential election. That is a very lengthy stretch of time.

I guess I'm on the opposite side of this issue from you, Rate This. I think the grace period is too lenient.

How many snow birds in Florida are registered to vote here (or another northern state) + there concurrently? I bet the number is substantial! The scuzzy politicians on both sides of the aisle seem unwilling to broach that issue.
That doesn’t mean they are voting twice. It also wouldn’t make sense to be registered in both places. They just get an absentee ballot mailed there. If I’m not mistaken there is cross checking that goes on plus you have to be a resident (complete with ID) for the state you are registering in so you can vote. I can’t go to Ohio, get a mailing address and just register to vote and go can I?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:48 pm

Newschannel 5 WPTV in West Palm Beach says: "It's not illegal to be registered in two states; it's only illegal to vote in the same election in two states."

https://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/in ... ee-ballots

There's no doubt in my mind some people vote for President in both states.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:38 pm

I'm with you on this. I'm thinking if you don't vote once every four years or so you should have to re-register. You don't have to vote for every position or everything on the ballot, but at least one thing at least once every four years.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Maybe we should just let everyone text their vote to somewhere, and let them do it a maximum of 50 times. If it is a good enough system to elect the next American Idol, then it should be good enough to elect our next President.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm
I'm with you on this. I'm thinking if you don't vote once every four years or so you should have to re-register. You don't have to vote for every position or everything on the ballot, but at least one thing at least once every four years.
There's a reason Democrats want it to be as absolutely easy as humanly possible for anyone to vote. The easier you make to vote, the increase in voter turnout that comes as a result skews heavily Democrat.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 pm
km1125 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm
There's a reason Democrats want it to be as absolutely easy as humanly possible for anyone to vote. The easier you make to vote, the increase in voter turnout that comes as a result skews heavily Democrat.
That didn’t play out in 2020.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:51 am

So lots of complaints because the voter suppression strategy by the Republicans isn't likely going to make it past the Democrat and the governor's office. If you read the articles related to this story it is a clerical error it is nothing to do with the voters.

Now that we are moving towards mail-in voting there are opportunities to make improvements to how things are tracked. There are several other bills that didn't get as much support that would be much better than trying to eliminate people from the roles. Taking action on the legislation that's currently pending would eliminate 547 people who actively voted in 2020.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 am

How many other countries do widespread mail-in voting?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 am

The only thing Republicans can do is cheat right now. So, they are using their gerrymandered power in Arizona, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan etc to completely block minorities from voting.

The legislation in Georgia is particularly damning. Cutting off weekend voting, days of early voting, and time to vote in person on election day. It is beyond atrocious even for them.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:52 am

km1125 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 am
Around 40 or so allow at least some mail in voting. Notably:
Germany
Australia (where it’s a crime NOT to vote)
Austria
Canada
Finland
Hungary
India
Indonesia
Italy
Malaysia
Mexico
The Philippines
Spain
Switzerland
U.K.

This would of course be a lot easier if Election Day was a holiday as it is in most countries. Then nobody (well most anyways) would not have to work. Folks could turn out the day of and we could celebrate the awesome privilege of having a say in our government.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:52 am
km1125 wrote:
Germany
Austria
Canada
Finland
Hungary
India
Indonesia
Italy
Malaysia
Mexico
The Philippines
Spain
Switzerland
U.K.

This would of course be a lot easier if Election Day was a holiday as it is in most countries. Then nobody (well most anyways) would not have to work. Folks could turn out the day of and we could celebrate the awesome privilege of having a say in our government.
I didn't write "some". We've ALWAYS allowed "some" and "some" makes sense. How many do WIDESPREAD mail-in

Would France even be on that list??voting??

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:05 am

km1125 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:52 am
km1125 wrote:
Germany
Austria
Canada
Finland
Hungary
India
Indonesia
Italy
Malaysia
Mexico
The Philippines
Spain
Switzerland
U.K.

I didn't write "some". We've ALWAYS allowed "some" and "some" makes sense. How many do WIDESPREAD mail-in

Would France even be on that list??voting??
In several of those it’s widespread like Germany for one example.

France did it widespread prior to 1975. The Google machine has the answers you seek.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic