Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Idiotic State Legislature Proposes Bars Open to 4 AM

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Idiotic State Legislature Proposes Bars Open to 4 AM

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:53 am

I agree with bmw and Mike Oxlong.

I would only be supportive of this legislation if serving of drinks were forbidden after 2AM (but the establishment itself would be permitted to remain open until 4AM).

Government laws should make it more difficult for people to make stupid choices, not easier. As noted earlier, allowing bars to serve drinks until 4AM would increase the risk of drunk drivers being intermingled with pre-rush hour traffic on Metro Detroit roads in particular.

I guess my heart doesn't bleed for businesses who profit from aiding & abetting alcoholism. Fuck them.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:20 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:53 am
I agree with bmw and Mike Oxlong.

I would only be supportive of this legislation if serving of drinks were forbidden after 2AM (but the establishment itself would be permitted to remain open until 4AM).

Government laws should make it more difficult for people to make stupid choices, not easier. As noted earlier, allowing bars to serve drinks until 4AM would increase the risk of drunk drivers being intermingled with pre-rush hour traffic on Metro Detroit roads in particular.

I guess my heart doesn't bleed for businesses who profit from aiding & abetting alcoholism. Fuck them.
How far would you like to take that? There are lots of stupid choices people make, should the government try as hard as it can to stop as many of them as possible is the real question...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 pm

Laws exist for a reason. Speed limits. Seat belt laws. Minimum drinking & smoking ages. The fact people can't legally walk around in public in the nude. Society as a whole benefits when sensible (that's the key word - sensible) laws & regulations are imposed.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:39 pm

So given the health risks related to Guns, Gun Controls should be put in place?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 pm
Laws exist for a reason. Speed limits. Seat belt laws. Minimum drinking & smoking ages. The fact people can't legally walk around in public in the nude. Society as a whole benefits when sensible (that's the key word - sensible) laws & regulations are imposed.
And sugary drinks and fatty foods!!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:17 pm

I think the problem is that different people have different opinions on what is "sensible." Me personally, I usually fall back on the harm principle. Basically, if your actions are likely to cause harm to others, then there is justification for government regulation. If your behavior is generally not a threat to others, then it should be legal. There are caveats and nuances, of course.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 am

So, sensible gun control: federal death risk data shows both assault and accidental gun deaths are much greater than alcohol deaths.

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/fact ... ality-risk

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 pm
Laws exist for a reason. The fact people can't legally walk around in public in the nude.
And pray tell, who exactly is harmed by someone being naked? I understand that some people are just plain uncomfortable to look at without their clothes on, but then again, If you've ever visited a Walmart, some people are damn hard to look at with clothes on.

I just don't get the whole nudity hang up. Movies can have murder and mayhem, ehhh, no one cares. A set of tits shows up on the screen, R rating here we come.

I must ask also, what about those folks that get off work at midnight or one in the morning? Are they not supposed to have a social life? Go dancing and mingling?
Last edited by Bryce on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:06 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 am
So, sensible gun control: federal death risk data shows both assault and accidental gun deaths are much greater than alcohol deaths.

In 2018, 24,432 of of the "gun deaths" were classified as suicide. 13,958 were classified as homicide. Of which. 93 percent of those homicides were committed by convicted felons or people in possession of a gun illegally.

539 were by legal intervention and 353 undetermined.

458 deaths were unintentional. This would be the "accidental" part. 458 accidental deaths are greater than deaths cause by alcohol? You're smoking the funny shit again aren't you?

The day you can absolutely, 100% guarantee me, that some gangbanger in a Chrysler 300 isn't driving around with a AR with a 30 round clip is the day we can talk about gun control for the rest of us.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:19 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:06 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 am

In 2018, 24,432 of of the "gun deaths" were classified as suicide. 13,958 were classified as homicide. Of which. 93 percent of those homicides were committed by convicted felons or people in possession of a gun illegally.

539 were by legal intervention and 353 undetermined.

458 deaths were unintentional. This would be the "accidental" part. 458 accidental deaths are greater than deaths cause by alcohol? You're smoking the funny shit again aren't you?

The day you can absolutely, 100% guarantee me, that some gangbanger in a Chrysler 300 isn't driving around with a AR with a 30 round clip is the day we can talk about gun control for the rest of us.
Why don’t we try to figure out why an AR with a 30 round clip exists in the first place before we figure anything else out. What exactly can you do with 30 rounds that you can’t do with 5 or 8 or 10 or 15?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:19 pm

Why don’t we try to figure out why an AR with a 30 round clip exists in the first place before we figure anything else out. What exactly can you do with 30 rounds that you can’t do with 5 or 8 or 10 or 15?
The two are separate. AR's exist. Clips can be made. And, if you make 30 round clips illegal, guess who the only people to have them will be.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:50 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 pm
Rate This wrote:

The two are separate. AR's exist. Clips can be made. And, if you make 30 round clips illegal, guess who the only people to have them will be.
That doesn’t answer my question. What is the NEED for either device. Because I want one or I have the right to have one or I can is not acceptable. What is the logical and practical use for it that makes its existence essential?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:21 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:50 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 pm
Rate This wrote:

That doesn’t answer my question. What is the NEED for either device. Because I want one or I have the right to have one or I can is not acceptable. What is the logical and practical use for it that makes its existence essential?
Well, an old special forces guy I knew, that lived to die of natural causes, once told me, "Money and ammunition. Can't ever have too much of either."

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:52 pm

Those are all need war stories Bryce.

Tell me why we don't need gun control? You cite a ridiculous answer compared to what the data is telling us.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:13 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:52 pm
Those are all need war stories Bryce.

Tell me why we don't need gun control? You cite a ridiculous answer compared to what the data is telling us.
Which ridiculous answer are you referring too? The suicide rate? The murder rate by convicted felons? THAT my friend is exact data.

"Gun Control" is a pretty broad statement. I would submit we already have many controls in place when it comes to firearms. One control that is currently in place is prohibiting convicted felons from possessing a firearm. How's that working out?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic