Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another Murder By A Convicted Felon

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Another Murder By A Convicted Felon

Post by Bryce » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Another murder by a convicted felon who was currently on probation.

From The Detroit News:
A 29-year-old man faces a charge of first-degree murder in the slaying Sunday night of a longtime acquaintance outside a liquor store, police said. Police say the suspect, Deneko Childs Jr., 29, and the victim, Brian Chapman, 36, are longtime acquaintances.

The fatal shooting took place about 8 p.m. Sunday outside Bargain Basket liquor store on the 13800 block of Hamilton, police said. That's north of Davison.

Based on surveillance footage at the store, they appeared to be getting along, police said. They were laughing and high-fiving inside the store. Police believe the victim was intoxicated.

But outside, things turned violent. The victim was shot six or seven times, police said, and the shooter fled.

The U.S. Marshals Service began tracking Childs, arresting him at a Warren hotel the next day. Police have recovered two pistols and a bright red jacket they believe Childs wore during the shooting.

Childs faces first-degree premeditated murder, being a felon in possession of a weapon, carrying a concealed weapon and felony firearm charges.
Taking a look at Mr. Childs record, one finds that he is currently on probation for delivery of a controlled substance. Prior to that offense, Mr. Childs has served time for:

Sentence 1
Offense: Weapons - Carrying Concealed Minimum Sentence:
MCL#:750.227Maximum Sentence:5 years 3 months
Court File#:10006703-01-FHDate of Offense:06/09/2010
County: Wayne Date of Sentence:07/15/2010
Conviction Type: Plea Discharge Date:02/07/2014

Sentence 2
Offense: Weapons - Carrying Concealed Minimum Sentence:
MCL#:750.227Maximum Sentence:2 years 0 months
Conviction Type: Plea Discharge Date:04/23/2012

Sentence 3
Offense: Carry Weapon w/Unlawful Intent Minimum Sentence:
MCL#:750.226Maximum Sentence:5 years 3 months
Conviction Type :Plea Discharge Date:02/07/2014

Sentence 4
Offense: Carry Weapon w/Unlawful Intent Minimum Sentence:
MCL#:750.226Maximum Sentence:2 years 0 months
Conviction Type: Plea Discharge Date:04/23/2012

Sentence 5
Offense Controlled Substance-Delivery/Manf., Nar/Coc <50 Grams Minimum Sentence:
MCL#:333.74012A4Maximum Sentence:3 years 11 months
Court File#:12009320-01-FHDate of Offense:09/21/2012
County: Wayne Date of Sentence:11/05/2012
Conviction Type: Plea Discharge Date:05/02/2018

If we really are serious about reducing gun related deaths and violent crime committed by people with guns, we need to remove the firearms that are in the possession of convicted felons and the people that have and carry them illegally. The vast majority of gun crime committed in Southeastern Michigan is committed by people that aren't supposed to be in the possession of a firearm in the first place.

Please, people that claim to care about the amount of gun violence in our city, join me in urging our legislature to enact severe penalties for convicted felons found in possession of a firearm. I propose a 20-year sentence, without the possibility for parole, for anyone who has a prior felony conviction found to be in the possession of a firearm or found to be in the company of someone that possesses a firearm illegally. The same should apply to anyone selling a firearm to a convicted felon.

In addition, a mandatory life sentence for someone with a prior felony conviction who commits' a violent crime in which a firearm is used.

Those stiff, no bargain sentences, may act as a deterrent. Worst case, they will help keep violent felons off the street.

By the way, for those of you interested, (YOO HOO LOCAL MEDIA????) Mr. Childs was under the supervision of

The Chrysler District Probation Office

Jacklyn Draheim, Acting Program Manager

426 Clinton St. (2nd Floor)
Detroit, MI 48226

(313) 456-3500
Supervision Area:
48201, 48202, 48203, 48204, 48207, 48208, 48211, 48212, 48216, 48220, 48226, 48231, 48234

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Re: Another Murder By A Convicted Felon

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 am

And another...
A 39-year-old Detroit man who served more than 20 years for murder was charged Friday in connection with the fatal shooting of another man on a local freeway this week.

David Easterly is accused of killing Bernard Waller, 31, also of Detroit around 8:12 p.m. Monday on the westbound shoulder of Interstate 96 near Grand River.

According to online records from the Michigan Department of Corrections, Easterly was sentenced in March 1998 to 10 to 30 years for a second-degree murder committed in September 1997, when he was 16. He was released on June 30 last year.

Detroit News
He almost made it eight months before being caught committing another murder. Is there going to be an investigation as to where Mr. Easterly obtained the firearm he wasn't supposed to have? I'll bet it wasn't a gun show.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Add another to the list. Only took one week from his release from prison....
Detroit — A 32-year-old man facing murder and gun charges in a fatal shooting last week in Detroit had been released from prison the week before after serving more than eight years, records show.

Anthony Funderburg Jr. faces six felony charges: second-degree murder, three counts of felony firearm, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and evidence tampering.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 626140001/

I just find it hard to believe there isn't a bigger outcry from the community on this ongoing problem.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:46 pm

I suspect the outcry isn't there because most feel they don't have an actual voice that would make any difference whatsoever.

It's also not controversial enough. No one gets any attention for being upset about something that everyone basically agrees on. If I can't make it about me somehow, why bother?

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:53 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:46 pm
I suspect the outcry isn't there because most feel they don't have an actual voice that would make any difference whatsoever.

It's also not controversial enough. No one gets any attention for being upset about something that everyone basically agrees on. If I can't make it about me somehow, why bother?
This.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 am

Robert Faygo wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:46 pm

All of the victims killed by the convicted felons cited in the articles posted are Black. Here I thought people protest because Black Live Matter. I guess Black lives taken by other Black people with criminal histories don't matter as much.

I will wager that most residents in the City of Detroit have had a family member or someone they knew quite well killed by someone with a criminal past. Not sure why that's so difficult to make it "about me."

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:01 pm

He is probably going to get just a year of probation and have his guns confiscated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic