Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Matt Was Wrong...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Matt Was Wrong...

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 pm

Whitmer is NOT a cunt. She's a DUMB CUNT!

She orders the shut down of line 5 which is a major supplier of propane to the UP, and then...
Whitmer declares energy emergency

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer declared a state of energy emergency on Saturday to ensure adequate delivery of propane during the nationwide cold snap, the Governor's Office announced.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Re: Matt Was Wrong...

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:09 pm

Lighten up Francis,

You are aware that the propane in question is for the upper peninsula right? That part of the pipeline is not being mandated to shut down.

You are also aware there are other ways in which propane can make it to customers right?

I'm sure we all enjoy hearing the Embridge shut-ins ad. But there is also another side to the story that isn't delivered by a billion dollar Canadian company in a smear campaign they've paid for.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Very few people in the UP use natural gas. Tons of people are all electric(baseboard) or propane.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:16 am

Ignoring the classy language in the OP, the State of Emergency declaration has nothing to do with Line 5, which is still up and running. Enbridge has no plans to comply with Whitmer's order, leaving the future of Line 5 up to pending litigation in the courts.

For the record, I don't have any problems with pipelines in general as they are among the safest modes of transport available. However, Enbridge has failed to properly address safety concerns brought up by several studies on Line 5 over the years; and it's not like Enbridge has the best track record of safety in Michigan. Keeping Line 5 up and running is an environmental and regional economic disaster waiting to happen, so shutting it down and building a new pipeline up to current federal regulations is the way to go here.

I realize that the alternatives to Line 5 remain unclear, and that certainly is concerning, but keeping Line 5 running, as is, is untenable.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:38 am

I have not referred to Whitmer as a cunt. I've accurately called her a tyrant though. Trying to block the line 5 tunnel would have been in her top 5 bad decisions if, you know, covid never happened.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:38 am

Enbridge doesn't want Line 5 shut down because it would cut off feedstock to their refinery in Sarnia, from which the vast majority (but not all) of its output gets directed to - CANADA!!!

The U.P. would see some moderate price increases initially, which would ease over the long-term if Line 5 were shut-down as the supply chain adjusts to different modes of transport. The line most likely could not be operated profitably if hydrocarbon flow were stopped at St. Ignace.

I see no harm whatsoever in encasing line 5 in a concrete tunnel so long as (a) flow is stopped entirely during construction and (b) the actual "line" is fully replaced before it is encased in concrete. That said, the issue ads Enbridge is airing throughout the state definitely contain a sizable amount of hyperbole.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 am

Here's what you missed about the settlement deal of encasing the pipes in a tunnel. Snyder Administration gave them so much time to get the job done that they will just rely on the fact that the administration will change and the encasement arrangement can be scuttled later.

There's a reason why they built in a five-year delay, they don't actually plan on doing the encasement.

Deferred maintenance is a strategy for this company. They have pipe issues across the country, they just work harder at making sure you don't hear about it then they do at ensuring their pipes are safe. Kalamazoo is still recovering from the rupture down there. There are issues on Farmland all across Canada and the US that Embridge is responsible for. A quick Google search reveals 7 incidents including this particular issue where they failed to remedy a problem they agreed to fix. They're not a reliable company.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 222848001/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:38 am
Enbridge doesn't want Line 5 shut down because it would cut off feedstock to their refinery in Sarnia, from which the vast majority (but not all) of its output gets directed to - CANADA!!!

The U.P. would see some moderate price increases initially, which would ease over the long-term if Line 5 were shut-down as the supply chain adjusts to different modes of transport. The line most likely could not be operated profitably if hydrocarbon flow were stopped at St. Ignace.

I see no harm whatsoever in encasing line 5 in a concrete tunnel so long as (a) flow is stopped entirely during construction and (b) the actual "line" is fully replaced before it is encased in concrete. That said, the issue ads Enbridge is airing throughout the state definitely contain a sizable amount of hyperbole.
Are they seriously running Matty Moroun style ads on local TV now?

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:05 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:38 am

Enbridge didn't even know what propaganda they were going to use until they polled the public. I got two public survey calls on the matter.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:14 pm

For all we know Bryce is part of the team that is doing community outreach for embridge.

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:18 am

Are they seriously running Matty Moroun style ads on local TV now?
Mostly on radio...but yes.

I do agree with TCT that Enbridge has a credibility issue, as they've not been fully transparent about Line 5 condition issues in the past.

However, I disagree with his apparent suggestion that things should be expedited. I'd rather have the proper amount of time invested for design and construction versus a rush job.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic