Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan creates an opportunity to better yourself

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Michigan creates an opportunity to better yourself

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:48 pm

We're finally getting some bipartisan solutions to our education Gap in this state.

I can't think of any major corporation wanting to locate here given the skills required these days and the talent that's available in Michigan. The only exception is manufacturing and it's not what I would call a growth industry.
Michigan to give free community college tuition to eligible residents 25 and older

(WXYZ) — The State of Michigan announced a program that will give any Michigander who is 25 or older the chance to get a tuition-free associate degree from a community college or skills certificate.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and a bipartisan group of lawmakers announced the $30 million Michigan Reconnect program which is expected to help 4.1 million people get free community college or a skills certificate.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

kager

Re: Michigan creates an opportunity to better yourself

Post by kager » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:34 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:48 pm
We're finally getting some bipartisan solutions to our education Gap in this state.

I can't think of any major corporation wanting to locate here given the skills required these days and the talent that's available in Michigan. The only exception is manufacturing and it's not what I would call a growth industry.
Michigan to give free community college tuition to eligible residents 25 and older

(WXYZ) — The State of Michigan announced a program that will give any Michigander who is 25 or older the chance to get a tuition-free associate degree from a community college or skills certificate.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and a bipartisan group of lawmakers announced the $30 million Michigan Reconnect program which is expected to help 4.1 million people get free community college or a skills certificate.
AK cent. Chew wait the positive...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:48 pm
The only exception is manufacturing and it's not what I would call a growth industry.

I respectfully disagree. I think a good tradesman will be able to get work in any state for the rest of his and her life. Someone who went thru a one or two year trade school to learn how to be a good mechanic or electrician/electronics technician. Someone that learned how to work on industrial or retail heating and cooling.

And I'm not sure that going thru a community college is going to help them. Learning to be good at a trade isn't about two English classes, a political science and some other non-technical elective that you have to take to graduate.

I'm not sure of other colleges, but Wayne County Community College (where the inside joke is if you get you name right on the test, you'll get a B) has the nickname of Detroit High School by a lot of people. It's where Detroit Public School kids go if they actually have a bit of gray matter between their ears. Unfortunately, those same kids "dumb down" the curriculum because quite frankly their cornbread ain't usually done in the middle, if you know what I mean. But there's an unspoken understanding that even the mutants have to graduate. I'm honestly not being nasty, everything I'm saying is the truth. Please if there is anyone on here that went to WCCC, please pipe in and agree or disagree with me that most 8th graders outside of Detroit already have a better education that most Detroiters that graduated from WCCC.

I can't speak for your neck of the woods, or Oakland or Macomb or outlying areas. I can only speak for Wayne County. And I know the previous paragraph comes across as a rather mean and rotten thing to say. But like I said, I hope there is someone from the 'burbs on here that went to Wayne County. I'm fairly confident they will agree with me.

And along the same vein of "dumbing down" the classes, I ponder how many Septuagenarians and Octogenarians are going to be filling seats in the free classes just for something to do, with absolutely no intent to go back to work.

I'll be totally honest with you, I'll be looking at what they got to offer.. Not with the intent to go get a career. Maybe something like how to work on cars, or play an instrument, or painting, or some silly thing like that. I won't have any intention of going and getting a career as an automotive mechanic or concert pianist.

But will I be squeezing someone else out of a seat that really should be there?

kager

Post by kager » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:06 am

For the heck of it, I looked into what it offers here:

https://www.michigan.gov/reconnect/0,99 ... --,00.html
  • The Skills Scholarship? already full, and was closed, one day after being announced...
  • The Community College? cool, but only truly free to those living in-district to a CC...
So, maybe this one offers politicians & spinsters a much-needed feel-good moment, and a sizable number of thousands with true benefits, but ... not the hyped 4.1 million people get free community college or a skills certificate.

At $7 and change a head in funding, how far should one expect it to go towards solving "our education Gap"?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:14 am

kager wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:06 am
At $7 and change a head in funding, how far should one expect it to go towards solving "our education Gap"?
That's what I was wondering. Who's really paying the bill, or what are "we" actually getting for the $30 million that could have gone to "fix the damn roads!"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:36 am

I have employed many people with specific skills with associate degrees. Particularly in health care and computer sciences, an associates is a path out of poverty.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:01 pm

At the very least, it will dissuade quite a few people of investigating Q Anon further. Most educated people avoid them.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:47 am

Gov's office is having to address the program's shortcomings / issues already. Oops.

Popular idea? Yes.

Delivers all it promises?

Just like the politician mouthpiece doin' the spewin' - nfw.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:05 am

People are enrolling here without issue.

― Noam Chomsky

kager

Post by kager » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:15 am

People enrolled in the program are learning that there may be a chasm between what they get, vs. what the mouthpieces spewed they'd get...

https://www.9and10news.com/2021/02/04/s ... n-funding/
People are enrolling here without issue.
No one said otherwise, but that firmly establishes expertise on the matter.

Can the Fact-O-Matic also tell us:
  • How many people enrolled in the Skills Scholarship before it was closed?
  • What are the Community College numbers thus far?
  • How much of that $30M is left (whoops! meant remaining?)
...or is it just canned responses?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Grand Valley has now announced a four-year degree will be no charge in six counties for qualifying students.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids ... rsity.html

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic