Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Restaurants closed

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
paul8539

Restaurants closed

Post by paul8539 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 pm

It has been reported that many restaurants in the state have been permanently closed because of the virus. Does anybody have a list of these? Can you identify individual restaurants that have closed?

In the Detroit area, at least two Ruby Tuesday and two Logan's have closed permanently.

TC Talks

Re: Restaurants closed

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:50 pm

I follow this industry very closely. Ruby Tuesday's and Logan's were closing locations well before covid. Chains that were not stable prior to 2020 will have a tough time.

One estimate was that 40% of small business restaurants will not reopen if there isn't some form of a stimulus to help them relaunch. I believe that to be pretty accurate. The biggest challenge will be getting caught up with past rent.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 pm

OK, some name these restaurants.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:26 am

I'm glad that Bilbo's pizza where I live is still open when COVID first hit they closed for a couple of months then in June reopened feared that they would close again when indoor dining was banned again but they stayed open. Got the best-smoked wings in town hope they make it so far they have.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:50 am

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 pm
It has been reported that many restaurants in the state have been permanently closed because of the virus. Does anybody have a list of these? Can you identify individual restaurants that have closed?

In the Detroit area, at least two Ruby Tuesday and two Logan's have closed permanently.
Ruby Tuesday closed in Sterling Heights even before the pandemic hit. They were already rumored to be closing most locations after Christmas 2019.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:40 am

Many small chain and stand alone restaurants in Northern Michigan have closed. Some say they are closed indefinitely on their signs and internet sites. Some say they are on "Winter Break", when they normally don't close. If things ever get remotely back to normal, the influx of people fleeing the virus and street violence from places like New York, whose yellow and blue license plates and aggressive driving are easily spotted, may generate business for existing restaurants and new hoagie shops. The people have found they can work from home in Northern Michigan. I doubt that New York City, San Francisco, and other cities will ever be the same.McDonalds and Burger King and other fast food chains seem relatively unaffected. I guess Olive Garden, P.F. Chang's, Taco Bell, Chipotle, and other such ethnic food chains will take over from the wonderful Mom and Pop's.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:01 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:40 am
Many small chain and stand alone restaurants in Northern Michigan have closed. Some say they are closed indefinitely on their signs and internet sites. Some say they are on "Winter Break", when they normally don't close. If things ever get remotely back to normal, the influx of people fleeing the virus and street violence from places like New York, whose yellow and blue license plates and aggressive driving are easily spotted, may generate business for existing restaurants and new hoagie shops. The people have found they can work from home in Northern Michigan. I doubt that New York City, San Francisco, and other cities will ever be the same.McDonalds and Burger King and other fast food chains seem relatively unaffected. I guess Olive Garden, P.F. Chang's, Taco Bell, Chipotle, and other such ethnic food chains will take over from the wonderful Mom and Pop's.
You're not going to see chains here . We're way too small .

They're now estimating with the new variants this will be a 4 to 5 year process. What you will begin to see are ghosts kitchens. These are basically restaurants with no seating and only delivery.

Some chains are experimenting With having just the kitchen that makes food for four or five different restaurant chains Delivery Only .

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:42 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:01 am
You're not going to see chains here . We're way too small .
With all the people fleeing New York City, driving like maniacs and shouting out the windows at other drivers, in their cars with the Yellow and Blue license plates, Traverse City will soon become the Megalopolis of TC Talks' dreams. The New Yorkers will demand that all the Chain restaurants and stores be located there for their convenience.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:52 am

paul8539 wrote:
It has been reported that many restaurants in the state have been permanently closed because of Governor Whitmer's response to the virus. Does anybody have a list of these? Can you identify individual restaurants that have closed?

In the interest of factual accuracy, I fixed your question for you.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:36 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:52 am
paul8539 wrote:
It has been reported that many restaurants in the state have been permanently closed because of Governor Whitmer's response to the virus. Does anybody have a list of these? Can you identify individual restaurants that have closed?

You know what's interesting? Restaurants are closing at a similar rate in states that allow dining. PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO CATCH COVID... Have you been to the IRON PIG in Gaylord yet? You should go and skip the mask...

― Noam Chomsky

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:50 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:36 pm
You know what's interesting? Restaurants are closing at a similar rate in states that allow dining.
This is sad but true.

Restaurant margins are so thin that being open for in-person dining under COVID protocols actually costs more for an operator than just operating like they have for most of 2020. To be fully profitable, they need to maximize butts in seats to spread costs out over all those extra customers.

It'll be interesting to see how many Michigan restaurants opt to actually reopen next week under the 25% limitation. Even under the previous 50% reduction restrictions many decided to stay carry-out / drive through / delivery only. They couldn't afford the extra staff for dine-in.

There is also lots to think about beyond these long short-term loses. Most importantly is will your customers have developed new habits and even want to return when you're able to be fully open again.

There's a ton to it -- more than just being able to getting the green light to open the doors while the virus rages.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:27 pm

TC Talks wrote:
bmw wrote:
paul8539 wrote:

You know what's interesting? Restaurants are closing at a similar rate in states that allow dining. PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO CATCH COVID... Have you been to the IRON PIG in Gaylord yet? You should go and skip the mask...
Have an illnesses been attributed to the Iron Pig? No? Shut your mouth.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:51 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:27 pm
TC Talks wrote:
bmw wrote:
paul8539 wrote:

You absolutely don't know that. In my opinion based on the science of droplets, it's not a safe place to be and it is likely a super spread site, particularly at the bar.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:55 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:51 am
Matt wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:27 pm
TC Talks wrote:
bmw wrote:
paul8539 wrote:

You absolutely don't know that. In my opinion based on the science of droplets, it's not a safe place to be and it is likely a super spread site, particularly at the bar.
So that's a no.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:01 pm

That's an Unknown. The fines just keep racking up for the fool.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic