Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Health director fired? (Robert Gordon MiDHHS out)

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Health director fired? (Robert Gordon MiDHHS out)

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:27 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:23 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:49 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:35 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:18 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:11 pm
I disagree. He left on his own, likely urged to leave because his head wasn't in the most important job in the state government this year.

I think that people looking for blood are going to be disappointed with the final outcome.
You’d defend Whitmer shooting someone on Woodward Avenue wouldn’t you?
You don't normally blindly accuse people without ANY evidence, do you?

Save the theatrics for the trolls.
An NDA on a former official is highly irregular and they’ve got nursing home scandals to hide.
I am quite confident that the nursing home issue will be investigated. But Charlie LeDuff isn't the guy who will get the complete story.
He’ll get more than Governor Cuomer (or is it Whitmo?) Will ever tell us.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:34 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:21 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:55 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:11 pm
I disagree. He left on his own, likely urged to leave because his head wasn't in the most important job in the state government this year.

I think that people looking for blood are going to be disappointed with the final outcome.
Says the guy who just YESTERDAY was calling Gordon incompetent. You don't get paid hush money unless you have valuable information. Whitmer was PISSED everytime she was asked about the sudden removal until today. Magically, her tone changes AFTER the hush money is brought to light.
I don't think he is competent in his handling of issues related to the pandemic. But TODAY we have new information that might suggest why his head wasn't in the game. Now your judging her "tone" and assigning a narrative to it?

Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow...
Her tone/messaging has changed. No doubt about that. If his head wasn't in it then why in the hell did he accept the Biden transition leadership role?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 pm

And the hits just keep on coming!
Ex-Unemployment Insurance Agency Director Steve Gray, who resigned in November after falling out of favor with the governor, received nearly $86,000 in severance, according to his agreement. The Associated Press obtained a copy through a public-records request. As part of the deal, both sides agreed to maintain confidentiality about Gray's employment and departure.

Sarah Esty, a deputy director in the state Department of Health and Human Services who quit in late January, also had a separation pact. Such deals appear to be highly unusual in state government.

Former DHHS Director Robert Gordon, who issued sweeping COVID-19 restrictions after the Democratic governor's emergency orders were upended by an October court ruling, abruptly resigned Jan. 22. At that time, Whitmer would not say if she had sought his exit.

But his Feb. 22 severance pact, uncovered Monday as part of newspapers' open-records requests, suggested he was forced out. The $155,506 payout covers nine months of salary and his payments to continue health coverage. The parties agreed — "in the interest of protecting deliberations among government officials" — to maintain confidentiality regarding the departure of Gordon, who agreed not to sue the state.
https://www.startribune.com/whitmer-fac ... 600029386/

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:11 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 pm
And the hits just keep on coming!
Ex-Unemployment Insurance Agency Director Steve Gray, who resigned in November after falling out of favor with the governor, received nearly $86,000 in severance, according to his agreement. The Associated Press obtained a copy through a public-records request. As part of the deal, both sides agreed to maintain confidentiality about Gray's employment and departure.

Sarah Esty, a deputy director in the state Department of Health and Human Services who quit in late January, also had a separation pact. Such deals appear to be highly unusual in state government.

Former DHHS Director Robert Gordon, who issued sweeping COVID-19 restrictions after the Democratic governor's emergency orders were upended by an October court ruling, abruptly resigned Jan. 22. At that time, Whitmer would not say if she had sought his exit.

But his Feb. 22 severance pact, uncovered Monday as part of newspapers' open-records requests, suggested he was forced out. The $155,506 payout covers nine months of salary and his payments to continue health coverage. The parties agreed — "in the interest of protecting deliberations among government officials" — to maintain confidentiality regarding the departure of Gordon, who agreed not to sue the state.
https://www.startribune.com/whitmer-fac ... 600029386/
Yeah something stinks here. Whitmer and company appear to be severely corrupt. The confidentiality agreements are something I expect out of a 3rd rate real estate tycoon.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:00 am

He wasn't running a party store he was running a multi-billion dollar Enterprise. $150,000 exit payment is peanuts. You guys are thinking in terms of hourly employees not executives which all of these individuals are...

I've never heard of peep out of any of you about severance packages for coaches at public universities, what the hell is the difference?
The DHHS budget represents close to one-half of the $58.5 billion state budget (adjusted gross) for FY 2019-20. The DHHS budget represents over 45% of the state's $10.4 billion GF/GP budget for FY 2019-20.
Executive severance agreements are special employment contracts that spell out the benefits that a departing executive-level employee will receive. In return for the payment, the employee may be agreeing to certain restrictive covenants, such as nondisclosure, noncompete, and/or nonsolicitation clauses.

It’s also possible for an executive severance agreement to be established when an employee is first recruited. In that case, the employee agrees to take the job and work for the employer in return for generous severance pay at the end of their relationship.
Are we sure there wasn't a separation agreement?

https://www.spigglelaw.com/employment-b ... greements/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 am

I hope the dirt will come out and Robert Gordon shouldn't have taken the hush money and spill the tea to the media and sued the state for his firing as well.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:43 am

MasterB wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 am
I hope the dirt will come out and Robert Gordon shouldn't have taken the hush money and spill the tea to the media and sued the state for his firing as well.
I'm sure he's mourning his father and not too worried about the circus.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:13 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:00 am
He wasn't running a party store he was running a multi-billion dollar Enterprise. $150,000 exit payment is peanuts. You guys are thinking in terms of hourly employees not executives which all of these individuals are...

I've never heard of peep out of any of you about severance packages for coaches at public universities, what the hell is the difference?
The DHHS budget represents close to one-half of the $58.5 billion state budget (adjusted gross) for FY 2019-20. The DHHS budget represents over 45% of the state's $10.4 billion GF/GP budget for FY 2019-20.
Executive severance agreements are special employment contracts that spell out the benefits that a departing executive-level employee will receive. In return for the payment, the employee may be agreeing to certain restrictive covenants, such as nondisclosure, noncompete, and/or nonsolicitation clauses.

It’s also possible for an executive severance agreement to be established when an employee is first recruited. In that case, the employee agrees to take the job and work for the employer in return for generous severance pay at the end of their relationship.
Are we sure there wasn't a separation agreement?

https://www.spigglelaw.com/employment-b ... greements/
Most coaches have buyout clauses in their contracts that dictate how much they 1) are owed if fired, or 2) owe if they leave voluntarily for a different job. Their contracts are generally public record. Political appointees serve at the pleasure of the person who appointed them. There is no comparison between the two.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

kager

Post by kager » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:01 am

Wretched and Gordon both likely have dirt on each other, but in the interest of protecting the former's image in an upcoming election cycle, don't want to drag things out into the court of public opinion.

People quit their jobs to take care of family matters or concerns all the time. There's transparency about it (whether truthful or not).

There's only BS out of Lansing and NW MI here.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:41 am

Matt,

And you know for sure there's no severance clause in his contract?

I haven't read that anywhere.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:41 am
Matt,

And you know for sure there's no severance clause in his contract?

I haven't read that anywhere.
This is a position that serves at the pleasure of the governor. I would suspect that any associated contract would be obtainable through a FOIA request. Also, it seems like that would have been mentioned.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:40 am

Back to the point I have tried to make six times on this thread. Wait and see what happens when information actually arrives

The fact that his dad was really sick and has died is pretty significant in understanding what motivated the departure.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:56 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:40 am
Back to the point I have tried to make six times on this thread. Wait and see what happens when information actually arrives

The fact that his dad was really sick and has died is pretty significant in understanding what motivated the departure.
Wrong. If that was such an issue he would not have taken on EXTRA work with the Biden transition. Stuff doesn't just come out... we need the media to stay on top of this hush money deal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:04 am

If his contract had a pre-existing severance clause, there would be nothing to hide.

The Whitmer administration refuses to respond to FOIA requests (unfortunately in Michigan, the executive branch of government is not obligated under law to respond to certain FOIA requests, which is why Michigan always ranks among the worst of all states for governmental transparency), and refuses to come clean on this matter.

Sorry, but the payout to Gordon - a man who served in that position for only a brief period of time (two years) - sure looks like "hush money" to me. Agree with Matt completely.

Who the hell receives the equivalent of what is probably six to eight months worth of salary upon departure for a "resignation" after serving in a post for just two years' time?!!!

At best, this is an irresponsible use of taxpayer dollars.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:21 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:04 am
If his contract had a pre-existing severance clause, there would be nothing to hide.

The Whitmer administration refuses to respond to FOIA requests (unfortunately in Michigan, the executive branch of government is not obligated under law to respond to certain FOIA requests, which is why Michigan always ranks among the worst of all states for governmental transparency), and refuses to come clean on this matter.

Sorry, but the payout to Gordon - a man who served in that position for only a brief period of time (two years) - sure looks like "hush money" to me. Agree with Matt completely.

Who the hell receives the equivalent of what is probably six to eight months worth of salary upon departure for a "resignation" after serving in a post for just two years' time?!!!

At best, this is an irresponsible use of taxpayer dollars.
Most likely he knows the location of a skeleton or six.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic