Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Health director fired? (Robert Gordon MiDHHS out)

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Robert Faygo

Re: Health director fired? (Robert Gordon MiDHHS out)

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:09 pm

No.

MDHHS orders and policies are independent of who, when, or under what administration enacts them.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:01 am

Word from inside the department is this was expected and that he is about to or has accepted a position back with the federal government in the Department of Health and Human Services, where he served as a deputy director under the Obama administration.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:45 am

Realist wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:01 am
Word from inside the department is this was expected and that he is about to or has accepted a position back with the federal government in the Department of Health and Human Services, where he served as a deputy director under the Obama administration.
While that may be true, it is entirely unusual for someone to leave without a new position announced and without the former boss sending well wishes. Both were absent.

Biden is expected to name UM Ford School of Public Policy Dean Michael Barr as Comptroller of Currency. You can bet that when that happens UM Leadership will wish Barr well.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:27 pm

I did find out that the 10 PM curfew is for restaurants not for individuals. I guess the goal is to stop any blind pigs.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:07 pm

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Graham Wellington

Re: Robert Gordon MiDHHS out

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:53 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:15 pm

Whitmer replaced him with the wife of a State Senator....
Elizabeth Hertel has been selected as his replacement, Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced.

Hertel currently serves as the senior chief deputy director for administration for MDHHS.
Bingo. Elizabeth Hertel, wife of Curtis Hertel. Curtis, along with Gretchen, Barb Byrum, and Andy Schor are part of a political clique that formed about 10 years ago out of the "Love Lansing" hipster douchebag movement. All of them anointed themselves as up and coming movers and shakers, 30 under 30, 40 under 40, etc. They all ran for any political office they could swing a cat at, all for the purpose of self promotion. They are all hell bent on being career politicians. It seems pretty clear that Robert Gordon made decisions that Gretchen didn't like, so she essentially forced him out in order to install a puppet that will agree to enforce any mandate that Gretchen demands.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:09 pm

The lack of transparency regarding the changes at the MDHHS is quite frustrating. As others have mentioned, I hope for stronger media pressure on both the Governor and MDHHS to explain what happened, and push to be more transparent towards their COVID-19 policies now that we're approaching 1 year into this pandemic.

The move to loosen COVID restrictions now is unclear to me, despite the improving numbers statewide, now that there is a confirmed B.1.1.7 variant (more transmissible mutation from the UK) cluster in Washtenaw County and confirmed case in Wayne County. Early public health guidance suggests that our current mask guidelines are insufficient for limiting the spread of this new variant, which is expected to be the dominant mutation nationwide by March, so I'm a bit surprised at the lack of messaging at a statewide level.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:33 pm

You people were bitching that Gretchen kept all restaurants closed and now bitch when she opens with a low capacity? There's no winning with you.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:20 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:33 pm
You people were bitching that Gretchen kept all restaurants closed and now bitch when she opens with a low capacity? There's no winning with you.
Well, that's not really what we're talking about here, but they never should have been closed.

We have a right to know why Robert Gordon is gone and her refusal to answer will only bring more questions.

Constant Listener

Post by Constant Listener » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:04 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:20 pm
Well, that's not really what we're talking about here, but they never should have been closed.

We have a right to know why Robert Gordon is gone and her refusal to answer will only bring more questions.
I met Gordon twice. Came across as extremely intelligent (although slightly dweeb-ish) and wanted to be a problem solver in regards to the issues that front line workers faced. Always took extensive notes when meeting with groups of employees. Made a lot of positive changes within the department.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:30 pm

Constant Listener wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:04 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:20 pm

I met Gordon twice. Came across as extremely intelligent (although slightly dweeb-ish) and wanted to be a problem solver in regards to the issues that front line workers faced. Always took extensive notes when meeting with groups of employees. Made a lot of positive changes within the department.
"Slightly dweeb-ish" appears to be charitable based on what we saw publicly. I do think he was more transparent than the governor when presenting at press briefings. His background is not in health, so I'm assuming he was brought on for his leadership acumen. The reaction to the departure is just bizarre.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:06 am

Time for winter high school sports to start up and stop delaying them as there will be a protest this weekend to save high school winter sports and maybe suing the state as well. Glad to see that the bars will reopen again which shouldn't have been closed, to begin with as I thought a 25% cap was reasonable.

Very bizarre why Gordon is out why doesn't Bitchmer say the reason he is out is it because it's a personal matter that seems to be the standard for the media not to communicate when a reporter or anchor leaves.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:12 am

MasterB wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:06 am
Time for winter high school sports to start up and stop delaying them as there will be a protest this weekend to save high school winter sports and maybe suing the state as well. Glad to see that the bars will reopen again which shouldn't have been closed, to begin with as I thought a 25% cap was reasonable.

Very bizarre why Gordon is out why doesn't Bitchmer say the reason he is out is it because it's a personal matter that seems to be the standard for the media not to communicate when a reporter or anchor leaves.
There are indeed some things you legally cannot say.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:10 am

Epic irresponsible speculation here, Whitmer's recent joyride with her "children" down to DC for #46 Inauguration festivities, where she mingles with strangers and people outside her house, where she gets to sit down, INDOORS at a facility that has....*GASP* "Indoor Dining", enjoys a nice dinner, activities she has discouraged, and forbid, (remember we were highly discouraged from holiday travel and gatherings), all in the the name of "COVID 19" to all of the rest of us citizens of MI, to not do, yet there she was doing everything we were told we cannot do, Gordon called her out on that, she replied, "Rules are for them, not me or my family", Gordon abruptly resigns in protest, Gretch happily agrees after being mad on getting called out on being a hypocrite, and accepts the resignation, appointing an even closer ally to her and her political agenda and policies...again, irresponsible speculation here....

kager

Post by kager » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:33 pm

Whitmer's all but 'all lawyered up' on answering the question. My dark side thinks she won't be happy until all men in her administration are replaced with women.

A local CBS TV affiliate reporter asked her point-blank as to the reason Gordon left (and so abruptly) a day or two ago, and Whitmer did this terribly awkward 'Elaine' dance around it each time the question was asked, with a lame-ass (paraphrasing) 'aw shucks, these things happen'-type of answer. IOW, no answer.

Getting to be quite the polished politician.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic