Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Capitol bans open carry weapons

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Michigan Capitol bans open carry weapons

Post by Bryce » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:02 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:48 pm

How far does that go. They couldn't refuse entry based on someone's race or religion. But they can force a customer to surrender a constitutionally protected right?
It's kind of like this. If I operate a tavern and a couple Baptists come in, I cannot deny them entry or the ability to purchase a drink simply because they are Baptists. However, if they start practicing their religion by telling all my customers about the evils of drinking, I can ask them to leave.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:20 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:52 am
Bryce wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:19 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:00 pm
Can a private business take away someone's Gawg given right to berr arms?
Yup! Inside their place of business. Not in the parking lot however.
If I own the Parking lot and I don’t want weapons then there will be no weapons.
For what it's worth, in Michigan there are 10 Prohibited Premises that CPL holders cannot carry their firearm. According to the Michigan State Police:
“Premises” does not include the parking areas of the places listed above.
Post Offices, which are under the auspices of the Federal Government prohibits firearms in the parking lot as well. And any property owned by the University of Michigan as well as property owned by Wayne State University. The elites get to make their own rules. Ever been to downtown Ann Arbor? Can you figure out what is campus and what isn't?

The vast majority of business, especially retail, do not own the parking lot. They rent. Now, if you do own the parking lot and want to post a easily seen sign at the entrance to the parking lot, you are certainly within your right to do so. If you see anyone in your parking lot with a gun, you can ask them to leave. If they don't, they are committing a crime and you should call the police.

How would you handle CPL holders that have a pistol in their car? What about the folks that carry concealed everyday? About 7% of the population in the State of Michigan have a CPL. About 2% carry concealed every day. Are you OK with those folks having a firearm in their car in your parking lot, as they are allowed to do by law, or are you more concerned with what I call the "cowboys" that feel important letting everyone know they have a gun?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:20 am
How would you handle CPL holders that have a pistol in their car? What about the folks that carry concealed everyday? About 7% of the population in the State of Michigan have a CPL. About 2% carry concealed every day. Are you OK with those folks having a firearm in their car in your parking lot, as they are allowed to do by law, or are you more concerned with what I call the "cowboys" that feel important letting everyone know they have a gun?
I can't speak for other places.
Walmart don't care what you got in your pants while you're in the store. They just don't want it hanging out.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:20 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:52 am
Bryce wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:19 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:00 pm
Can a private business take away someone's Gawg given right to berr arms?
Yup! Inside their place of business. Not in the parking lot however.
If I own the Parking lot and I don’t want weapons then there will be no weapons.
For what it's worth, in Michigan there are 10 Prohibited Premises that CPL holders cannot carry their firearm. According to the Michigan State Police:
“Premises” does not include the parking areas of the places listed above.
Post Offices, which are under the auspices of the Federal Government prohibits firearms in the parking lot as well. And any property owned by the University of Michigan as well as property owned by Wayne State University. The elites get to make their own rules. Ever been to downtown Ann Arbor? Can you figure out what is campus and what isn't?

The vast majority of business, especially retail, do not own the parking lot. They rent. Now, if you do own the parking lot and want to post a easily seen sign at the entrance to the parking lot, you are certainly within your right to do so. If you see anyone in your parking lot with a gun, you can ask them to leave. If they don't, they are committing a crime and you should call the police.

More so the cowboys... the CPL folks fall under the “we don’t know what we don’t know” category. It’s a little harder to catch somebody with a gun in their center console. On the flip side I could post security at the entrance to my parking lot and hand them a book of terms and conditions that includes being subject to search before entering the premises. Catch them with it and they will be denied entry.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:59 am

Long overdue.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic