Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How Cities Lost Control of Police Discipline

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Re: How Cities Lost Control of Police Discipline

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:48 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:28 pm
...the folks who were left who did not have the social fabric the previous people did. And that’s regardless of race...
Could have just left it at that and proved my point.

Folks leaving -worst case- would have just provided a ghost town, not a shithole.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:51 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:32 pm
Absolutely right. White flight ruined Detroit. Think of all the abandoned homes in the 70s from people fleeing. My dad lived on Westphalia near 7 Mile and Schoenherr. He moved because white landlords were not taking care of their properties in the late 70s. In the early 70s, it was a thriving neighborhoood.

We moved away from championing home ownership in the 70s and 80s. Very sad. The big boy barons dug in their heels when they got the tax cuts they voted for in 1980.
See note above about "White flight" and "people leaving".

If folks weren't taking care of properties -regardless of color- why weren't they being held responsible? Why do you always have to resort to blaming it on race issues?? If they were truly abandoned homes, that also meant there were plenty of rent-free places to live, so even if you were making minimum wage you'd be doing pretty well.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:56 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:51 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:32 pm
Absolutely right. White flight ruined Detroit. Think of all the abandoned homes in the 70s from people fleeing. My dad lived on Westphalia near 7 Mile and Schoenherr. He moved because white landlords were not taking care of their properties in the late 70s. In the early 70s, it was a thriving neighborhoood.

We moved away from championing home ownership in the 70s and 80s. Very sad. The big boy barons dug in their heels when they got the tax cuts they voted for in 1980.
See note above about "White flight" and "people leaving".

If folks weren't taking care of properties -regardless of color- why weren't they being held responsible? Why do you always have to resort to blaming it on race issues?? If they were truly abandoned homes, that also meant there were plenty of rent-free places to live, so even if you were making minimum wage you'd be doing pretty well.
That last comment is hopefully sarcasm. As for the rest of it. Go ask the dead folks who ran things then.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:27 am

Can't believe that Saginaw & Buena Vista, MI did not seen any fights last May or June???? :? :twisted: :evil:

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:41 am

Oink, oink, oink!!!

Will the men in blue remain silent in support of their "brother" who just MURDERED an unarmed, innocent black man.

So many police officers have such little respect for civilians' lives.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oh ... d-n1252304

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:48 am

Why were the police even called to that address?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:54 am

Someone was revving the engine of his car a little too loudly, so a neighbor called the police based on the noise nuisance.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/loc ... 004989001/

Gee - sure sounds like grounds to shoot somebody to me.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:08 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:54 am
Someone was revving the engine of his car a little too loudly, so a neighbor called the police based on the noise nuisance.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/loc ... 004989001/

Gee - sure sounds like grounds to shoot somebody to me.
Well, it certainly got rid of the noise, didn't it?

If cops didn't have to worry about getting shot dead every single time they encounter someone (and even when they're not encountering folks - ref to all the ambushes that take place), this stuff wouldn't be happening.

Note what time this happened: "officers were dispatched at 1:37 a.m"

Tragic maybe, but did you hear that officer puking his guts out for the whole second half of that video??

It's amazing that any human would sign up or volunteer themselves for this kind of work. I had explored several opportunities in the field years ago but would absolutely not entertain the thought today, nor would I recommend it for anyone. The folks who still are in the field deserve a big thanks for tolerating what they do on a daily basis.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Tragic maybe, but did you hear that officer puking his guts out for the whole second half of that video??
I hope he does a lot more puking behind bars.

Policing is not even in the top 10 of most dangerous occupations as measured by fatality risk. Is it dangerous? Sure, that's why cops are armed. Only a tiny, tiny fraction will be accosted by gunfire in a typical year. One analysis over six full years found that only 0.47 firearm assaults (by civilians) per 1,000 officers in the U.S. took place. That works out to fewer than 0.08 per 1,000 officers in a typical year.

https://www.thetrace.org/2020/07/guns-p ... tatistics/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Only 1 in 5,925 officers were killed in the line of duty in 2019:
https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/law-enforcement-facts

The murder rate in the City of Detroit among the general population is 1 in about 2600. The homicide rate in Chicago among the general population is in the proximity of 1 in 6,000.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 pm
The murder rate in the City of Detroit among the general population is 1 in about 2600.
I guess we're coming full-circle. How many people want to live there??

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:09 am

km1125 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:18 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
The murder rate in the City of Detroit among the general population is 1 in about 2600.
I guess we're coming full-circle. How many people want to live there??
Since the population is ever so slowly growing now I would say more and more people.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:26 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Only 1 in 5,925 officers were killed in the line of duty in 2019:
https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/law-enforcement-facts

The murder rate in the City of Detroit among the general population is 1 in about 2600. The homicide rate in Chicago among the general population is in the proximity of 1 in 6,000.
In 2019, 259 black people were killed by police officers nationwide. Given there were 44,080,000 black people living in the U.S. in 2019, by my calculations, (I hated algebra and if my calculations are incorrect feel free to correct me) that is a 1 in 264,480 chance of a black person being killed by a police officer. Of course, those numbers don't give a true picture because the VAST majority of the 259 black people killed were engaged in a criminal activity whereas the VAST majority of police officers killed were just doing their job. The odds of a black person not engaged in criminal activities being killed, I'm sure, are much, much lower. Yet, police are demonized by the left for singling out black people to kill.

I would like to note also that Officer Adam Coy has been fired by the Columbus Police Department and is expected to face charges from the DOJ.

After reading the story and doing a little analyzing, some safety tips to follow that MAY have kept this tragedy from happening. Let me be clear. I am in no way excusing this officers actions. At best it was stupid, at worst, malicious.
This is presented with the intent to have both you and the officer go home to your family after an interaction.

If you have an encounter with a police officer, especially after dark, drop ANYTHING you are holding and keep both hands where the officer can see them and preferably a bit away from your body. Police are taught, taught some more, and then taught again that a persons hands are the greatest threat to their safety. If they can't see your hands, if one of them is holding something they can't make out, they immediately go to orange on the threat level scale.

If stopped while driving, pull over as soon as you can safely do so, roll down the front and rear window, turn on your dome light if at night and keep BOTH hands on the steering wheel until the officer tells you what to do. One of the worst things you can do at this point is go digging for your proof of insurance and registration while the officer is approaching your vehicle. Wait for the officer to ask you to do so.

In an encounter outside of a vehicle, do not approach the officer unless he or she tells you to do so. Let them come to you. Let them be in charge and follow any orders or requests they may have. A person that follows their requests will put them much more at ease and make the encounter much safer in their mind, as well as give you a much better chance that they will let a minor infraction slide.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:31 am

Humor me with your math skills and calculate the number of white people killed by police officers.
MORE THAN 1,000 UNARMED people died as a result of police harm between 2013 and 2019, according to data from Mapping Police Violence. About a third of them were black.

About 17% of the black people who died as a result of police harm were unarmed, a larger share than any other racial group and about 1.3 times more than the average of 13%.
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/20 ... e-of-color

Here's a clear picture to illustrate the point of the problem...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:57 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:31 am
Humor me with your math skills and calculate the number of white people killed by police officers.
In 2019, 259 Black people were killed by police in the United States. This compares to 182 Hispanics, 13 Native Americans, and 406 White people. The rate of police shootings of Black Americans is 30 per million people. This rate stands at 23 per million for Hispanics and 12 per million for Whites.

Now, yes, you can use these numbers to point out that black Americans are almost three times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a white American. But, if we look at the reason, and the number of police interactions by race, it would tell a different story.

Lets take a look at the the cities that rank highest in violent crime rates...

1. Detroit
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 20.0
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 50
Population 82% Black

2. Memphis, Tennessee
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.5
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 51
Population 64% Black

3. Birmingham, Alabama
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.3
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 52
Population 72% Black

4. Baltimore
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.5
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 54
Population 63% Black

5. Flint, Michigan
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.3
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 55
Population 54% Black

Given that the top five cities with the most violent crime have majority black populations, and the understanding that the black population is more likely to live in a higher crime area where police use more of their resources and have many more dangerous interactions, the numbers don't show a targeted effort against black people. It's targeted response to crime.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic