Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stripping qualified immunity for ‘bad actor’ police

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Stripping qualified immunity for ‘bad actor’ police

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Way too many police officers are simply bad people. It's a small minority of the police force, but when one considers how many interactions these bad acting officers have with the general public over the course of a year or over the course of their careers, the # of incidents stack up.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:06 pm
Way too many police officers are simply bad people. It's a small minority of the police force, but when one considers how many interactions these bad acting officers have with the general public over the course of a year or over the course of their careers, the # of incidents stack up.
Agreed about way too many... disagree that it is a small minority we're talking about. I do believe it is a minority, but I'm willing to say it could be upwards of 40% of cops are shitheads. I had a friend who frequently stated "C's get degrees." He is now a cop in a southern state, and he's a bit of a tool. I have another friend that worked in law enforcement for about a decade that admits 30-35% are shit, which makes me think my 40% estimate is conservative.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:41 am

My number might be low (I was thinking 10%). Seems to me if it were one-third, we'd see far more lawsuits, settlements and videos on TV. If it is indeed one-third, that is alarming.

The percentage can certainly vary widely from department to department.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:12 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:06 pm
Agreed about way too many... disagree that it is a small minority we're talking about. I do believe it is a minority, but I'm willing to say it could be upwards of 40% of cops are shitheads. I had a friend who frequently stated "C's get degrees." He is now a cop in a southern state, and he's a bit of a tool. I have another friend that worked in law enforcement for about a decade that admits 30-35% are shit, which makes me think my 40% estimate is conservative.
Well said.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:52 am

Cops have a hard job, the people they deal with generally give them no respect at best and often despise them. Over the course of a year there are somewhere between 60 million to 100 million direct interactions between police and citizens.
So when a classic cop hater comes up with a list of 10-20-100 of those that went badly as some sign of a large problem I shake my head in frustration at the shear ignorance.
Are some cops assholes? Sure. Its the kind of job that often attracts asshole like personalities.
So you have some assholes with guns and badges interact with people who disrespect them or hate them multiple that by 60 to 100 million and sometimes things go wrong. But the truth is not very often given the incredibly large number of interactions.

I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:19 am

I have had a few run ins with some cops that were less than nice. I was always respectful and in the end they let me go with no more than a fix-it ticket, and would say some even regretted pulling me over.

I would call it a learning experience for both parties.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:19 am
I have had a few run ins with some cops that were less than nice. I was always respectful and in the end they let me go with no more than a fix-it ticket, and would say some even regretted pulling me over.

I would call it a learning experience for both parties.
Bejng white, how do you think that might have gone if you weren't?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:11 am

They probably would have been treated better by default.

It was my appropriate responses that changed their mood.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:11 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 am
As I've said before I have a daughter and now former son-in-law (we are still close) who are cops. A sister of another son-in-law is a cop. So I have become admittedly "pro police" biased In the last 10-12 years.

For the most part it doesn't matter what color you are IF YOU PLAY THE GAME.....yes sir, no sir, thank you sir, my mistake sir, etc. your experience will go well. That doesn't mean you won't get a ticket or you won't get arrested if the case warrants but it does mean you won't get shot, or get your ass kicked.

But I think black men and to a lesser degree black women are more likely to bring a belligerent attitude to the encounter. If one refuses a lawful order like show me your license or decides they won't be arrested without a fight things go bad in a hurry. Because blacks have a negative opinion of police they willact accordingly and the whole thing is a catch 22.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:19 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:11 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 am
As I've said before I have a daughter and now former son-in-law (we are still close) who are cops. A sister of another son-in-law is a cop. So I have become admittedly "pro police" biased In the last 10-12 years.

For the most part it doesn't matter what color you are IF YOU PLAY THE GAME.....yes sir, no sir, thank you sir, my mistake sir, etc. your experience will go well. That doesn't mean you won't get a ticket or you won't get arrested if the case warrants but it does mean you won't get shot, or get your ass kicked.

But I think black men and to a lesser degree black women are more likely to bring a belligerent attitude to the encounter. If one refuses a lawful order like show me your license or decides they won't be arrested without a fight things go bad in a hurry. Because blacks have a negative opinion of police they willact accordingly and the whole thing is a catch 22.
I don't believe that it is. You're suggesting that people who are openly white supremacist are doing their job absolutely without prejudice?

That's a pretty blind assumption. I'm not suggesting that your relatives are bad cops I'm suggesting there are bad cops both in the ranks and in the Union. I would go so far as to suggest there are people training police on how to be bad cops.
White supremacist groups have infiltrated US law enforcement agencies in every region of the country over the last two decades, according to a new report about the ties between police and far-right vigilante groups.

In a timely new analysis, Michael German, a former FBI special agent who has written extensively on the ways that US law enforcement have failed to respond to far-right domestic terror threats, concludes that US law enforcement officials have been tied to racist militant activities in more than a dozen states since 2000, and hundreds of police officers have been caught posting racist and bigoted social media content.

The report notes that over the years, police links to militias and white supremacist groups have been uncovered in states including Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.
Guardian

And this....

https://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/n ... a1237fc496

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:59 pm

I've already acknowledged there are asshole cops. Maybe more than many other professions.
But I will say again there are 60-100 MILLION cop/citizen interactions every year and everybody who hates cops zero's in on the same 15-20 cases that went badly for the citizen.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:33 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:59 pm
I've already acknowledged there are asshole cops. Maybe more than many other professions.
But I will say again there are 60-100 MILLION cop/citizen interactions every year and everybody who hates cops zero's in on the same 15-20 cases that went badly for the citizen.
Except it's closer to a thousand cases, and police do not have accountability for the Bad actors.

― Noam Chomsky

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:46 pm

Cops get fired, sometimes they are charged with crimes. There is accountability.
What you want is every ambulance chaser looking for work to be able to sue cops with impunity.

I wanna sue Gardner White for changing my delivery date.
I wanna sue the cook who put too much pepper on my New Year eve $40 take out steak.
I wanna sue the AAPS for suggesting my grandson was on the autism spectrum when he actually had a chiari
malformation.

Every one of them screwed up.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:03 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:33 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:59 pm
Except it's closer to a thousand cases, and police do not have accountability for the Bad actors.
A thousand out of 60-100 MILLION means that the kinds of interactions you are up in arms about essentially don't exist... when you changed 20 to a thousand it didn't make an ounce of difference.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:14 pm

It's only been a thousand deaths, what about all the other things that happen that don't go over the edge.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic