Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stripping qualified immunity for ‘bad actor’ police

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Stripping qualified immunity for ‘bad actor’ police

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:09 am

And that in your eyes is the same thing as choking a man to death, shooting innocent citizens because you entered the wrong house, or shooting someone in the back as they are running away from you?

I can see the similarities.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:18 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:09 am
And that in your eyes is the same thing as choking a man to death, shooting innocent citizens because you entered the wrong house, or shooting someone in the back as they are running away from you?

I can see the similarities.
Some would argue, me included, that the Flint water issue was much worse than your examples because of the volume of lives it affected. Some SCIENTISTS put the associated death toll at over 120, not to mention the amount of people who had other health issues because of it.

Two of the three examples you mentioned could be warranted. For example, someone running away from you with a gun in their possession, to find cover to shoot from, is indeed a serious threat.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:11 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:43 am
I would think a jury of some sort would be the way to go. It certainly works for everybody else.
No. As I noted above, the Doctrine of Qualified Immunity is a PROTECTION against litigation rather than a LEGAL DEFENSE. A jury is a trier of fact, and NOT a body qualified to determine whether a specific person or entity has legal protection against being sued.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:45 pm

So you're suggesting that the police should trust the police?

It seems like a grand jury could handle this quite well with the capacity to understand the complexities of proper police protocol and this entire concept.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:52 am
I don't agree with departments banning chokeholds. If someone is in a struggle for their life, every tool to end the threat should be an option.

Oh, by the way, how many people in government went to prison over the Flint water debacle?

I fear removing protections will result in unwarranted civil actions against police officers.
Not enough went to prison for Flint. Snyder and Schuette for prison! Then, there are the GOP enablers that setup the puppet emergency financial manager. Jail for the EFM, Snyder, and Schuette. Censures for the rest of the Repiglicans involved.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Keep up the war on police and I hope they all just walk off the job for a couple months.

We're already seeing record numbers of early retirements, why not hasten the pace?

You think you can raise the hiring standards and get better candidates?? Most departments have trouble filling openings as it is, good luck with that.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:45 pm

On top of that, for all you caring lefty's, the people lack of police will hurt most are minorities and poor elderly.

Crime rates won't be going up in my neighborhood. How about yours?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:18 am

Qualified immunity for police shouldn't necessarily be eradicated (although, I'd be OK with that) but it definitely needs to be reformed and rolled back considerably.

Much of the current clusterf*ck that exists for qualified immunity with respect to its application on law enforcement can be blamed on the courts.

Legislation should be enacted to correct the courts' misapplication.

https://www.cato.org/blog/yes-abolishin ... e-behavior

The Pearson V. Callahan (2009) ruling is a disgrace and needs to be reversed:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-qualif ... ice-reform

And Bryce, to answer your question, YES - qualified immunity protections should be rolled back for ALL governmental employees and elected officials.
Keep up the war on police and I hope they all just walk off the job for a couple months.

We're already seeing record numbers of early retirements, why not hasten the pace?
Maybe if law enforcement quit murdering citizens for minor infractions, stopped unconstitutionally invading homesteads, stopped lying in court repeatedly, stopped unconstitutionally seizing personal property, stopped writing speeding tickets with exorbitant fines, stopped harassing delivery drivers, stopped issuing tickets for people warming up their automobile in their own driveway, and sent their union stooges packing, the public's perception of law enforcement would improve? Just sayin'.

I 100% support law enforcement officials who are HONEST and carry out their job duties RESPONSIBLY and respect civil rights. Many police officers are underpaid. That is part of the issue - you "get what you pay for."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:33 am

I posted some of those police stories, not because I am anti-police rather I support personal property rights.

I blame it mostly on the folks that create the laws and ordinances.

And yes good cops should get paid more. Bad ones should be fired!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:39 am

Nicely stated! I agree 100%.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:04 pm

I agree with the concept of firing bad cops. Bad cops give law enforcement a bad image.

Maybe legislation should be designed to make it easier to remove bad officers from the job rather than remove personal liability protection from civil suits from the good ones?

I don't think the average citizen has any idea what that job is like and what it entails. In the past week, four officers in Charlotte North Carolina have been shot. Two of them died. The rest of the force still gets up every morning and puts the badge on and goes to work. Should they have to also worry about civil suits if they make a mistake?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:18 pm

And your response to the officer who choke someone to death on a sidewalk?

Police officers entering the wrong home and shooting a citizen sleeping in their bed?

Shooting a shoplifting suspect in the back four times as they're running away?

I'm not saying the job isn't hard, I'm saying there's a problem and currently the laws protect that problem.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 pm

In those instances, the officers that are fault for a monumental screw up or malicious death should be fired, prosecuted and the city, county or state that employs them be liable.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:44 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:18 pm
And your response to the officer who choke someone to death on a sidewalk?

Police officers entering the wrong home and shooting a citizen sleeping in their bed?

Shooting a shoplifting suspect in the back four times as they're running away?

I'm not saying the job isn't hard, I'm saying there's a problem and currently the laws protect that problem.
Most of the reactions are "Oops". They say, " That's one bad officer in the whole department. The rest aren't like that. I love licking boots."

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:27 pm

70 more incidents that demonstrate the many Bad actors amongst police.

A Black woman received $150,000 after alleging a police officer yanked her from a public restroom and forced her onto the sidewalk in handcuffs while investigating a reported theft.

A computer engineer, who is also Black, got $192,000 after officers — mistaking him for a robbery suspect — beat him so severely on his front lawn that he was hospitalized.

Five other Black men collected a total of $116,000 after suing the same officer for assault and violating their civil rights as he cleared sidewalks in a gentrifying neighborhood. In one case, a video showed the officer sitting on a man’s chest and showering him with pepper spray after punching him in the face six times.

Over the past five years, the D.C. government has spent millions of dollars settling dozens of police misconduct lawsuits — settlements that, even as officers acknowledge no wrongdoing, document a trail of nonfatal encounters that went painfully wrong.

These agreements draw little attention compared with settlements resulting from high-profile police shootings, such as the $12 million awarded to Breonna Taylor’s family in Louisville; or the $20 million Prince George’s County is paying to the family of a man whom police shot six times while handcuffed in a patrol car.

But they illustrate the types of altercations that sow distrust of law enforcement and feed perceptions that police are overly aggressive, particularly with Black Americans. Such grievances are a driving focus of the protests that began after the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody in May, fueling demands for reform nationwide.

“I was on the ground like a dog,” said Michele Hall, 36, the woman whom police dragged out of the bathroom while investigating whether she had walked out on a $1,100 restaurant tab — an allegation that turned out to be false. “I don’t know that I will ever heal again.”

In response to a public records request, the D.C. Office of the Attorney General released records of more than 70 lawsuits alleging police misconduct and negligence that the city has settled since 2016. One woman received $40,000 after saying an officer pulled her hair and punched her as she tried to defuse an argument between two others. An alleged shoplifter received $27,500 after he accused a police officer of slamming him to the ground and fracturing his leg.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/le ... story.html

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic