Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MRLA: 33% of Restaurants will go down.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

MRLA: 33% of Restaurants will go down.

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Let's all thank the US Senate for failing to take enough action to save a third of Michigan's restaurants. As hospitals reach capacity, the need to close indoor dinning was obvious, but if large banks were given 700 million in 2008, small business gets nothing? Way to go Republicans.
The Michigan Restaurant and Lodging Association (MRLA) has released a grim new report about the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.

According to them, about 5,600 Michigan restaurant operators, or 33%, say it's unlikely that their business will still be open six months from now.

Additionally, the research found that two-thirds of Michigan hotels report they will be able to remain open for six more months at current occupancy and revenue levels, and more than half of Michigan’s independently-owned hotels are at risk for foreclosure.

“It is fundamentally clear that the pandemic is decimating the hospitality industry in this state to a degree never seen or even imagined," MRLA President and CEO Justin Winslow said in a release. "While it will take several years and a stable economy to reclaim the size, impact and opportunities produced by this industry, we have not yet reached the bottom."
https://covidactnow.org/us/mi/?s=1445408

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Re: MRLA: 33% of Restaurants will go down.

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Just so it's an apples-to-apples comparison with other years, do you know how many restaurants fail each year (percentage-wise)?? I know it's a tough business and seems like I'm always seeing some shut down and new ones opening.

Much of this could/should be blamed on Whitmer though. Sure someone else can bail out the problem given enough money, but who's going to end up with the handfuls of cash and what will happen to all the workers?? Somehow I'll bet if Congress approves funding, a large amount is never going to see the pockets of the folks who really need it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:51 pm

I take it you have nothing to do with small business. Typically, 17% of restaurants will fail in the first year. But very few restaurants have opened this year. These are established businesses.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:51 pm
I take it you have nothing to do with small business. Typically, 17% of restaurants will fail in the first year. But very few restaurants have opened this year. These are established businesses.
So, of those restaurants that opened in 2019, how many would typically have failed in 2020 if we had no pandemic? 17%? If so, then the real number "due to pandemic" is closer to 16%.

G G

Post by G G » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:20 am

TC Talks doesn't care about small business owners. He doesn't care that these restaurants will go down. The only going down that TC Talks cares about is the going down he will be doing on the closest babbyface to him on Grindr. He's probably the kinda guy on there who uses a picture of himself in a blazer with a tie, but crops his head out of the image, and then walks around downtown at night looking for guys who get closer to him as a matter of feet in geolocation, and then follows them into the bathroom and uses the urinal closest to them.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:46 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:15 pm
As hospitals reach capacity, the need to close indoor dinning was obvious,
Nightclubs and bar's, where mingling and up close socialization is part of the program, I understand. Indoor dining, with capacity, patrons per table and distance limits, not so much.

A study out of NY showed that 74% of Covid cases could be linked to in home gatherings while only 1.4% were linked to restaurants and bars. If you removed bars, for the reasons I stated earlier, from those numbers I'm positive those numbers would be much, much smaller. Most likely in the "personal services" range, which seems to be acceptable from our Governors viewpoint.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:53 am

I agree with this chart Bryce. However, the reason why spread was so prevalent in Social gatherings in households during September through November was that restaurants had already been placed on restrictions. So the remedy to keep spread down in commercial settings had already been put in place.

At home gatherings are definitely a problem here in Traverse City.

But just because that happens to be the most significant spread point at the moment doesn't mean that restaurants were not a threat when they were operating unrestricted. Additionally, anyone at a private social gathering is there by choice. Employees don't have the luxury of not showing up to work.

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:56 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 pm
TC Talks wrote:
So, of those restaurants that opened in 2019, how many would typically have failed in 2020 if we had no pandemic? 17%? If so, then the real number "due to pandemic" is closer to 16%.
I don't believe you can say that. You're just trying to prove a point by bending statistics.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:11 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:53 am
I agree with this chart Bryce. However, the reason why spread was so prevalent in Social gatherings in households during September through November was that restaurants had already been placed on restrictions. So the remedy to keep spread down in commercial settings had already been put in place.
The chart above was from a study done in the state of NY. Indoor dining (with restrictions) was operating during the study's timeframe. The NY shutdown of indoor dining happened this Monday past. Again, the numbers do not warrant doing so.

Even Governor "Cazzo" Cuomo, doesn't have the balls to shut down the major cause of virus spread during the season.

Then, lets look at information from this article...
Despite larger populations, currently freer peoples, and a media narrative that screams otherwise, there are far, far fewer deaths in Texas and in Florida than in New York.
And I would add, Michigan, which had far more restrictions on commerce than Texas and Florida.
Along Florida’s Gulf Coast, the streets are packed on weekends. In Naples, Florida just one week ago, lights hung majestically from lamp posts, a live Nativity stood in the road, Santa let children sit on his lap, and live bands performed every few blocks. Indoors, the bars were busy, and just after midnight the last pub’s band wound down for the night.

For months, American media consumers have been treated to news of Florida and Texas’s incoming death spirals. For months after, we were promised those death spirals were just around the bend. The funny thing with COVID, though, is unlike global warming doom science — always 3-12 years away and “too complex” to explain when it inevitably doesn’t happen — COVID doom predictions are checkable in just a few weeks. And COVID doom didn’t happen.
Here are the numbers...

Florida 21.67 million residents - 20,000 Covid deaths
Texas 28.7 million residents - 24,000 Covid deaths
NY - 19.54 million residents - 35,000 Covid deaths
Michigan - 9.8 million residents - 11,500 Covid deaths

Looks to me that both Texas and Florida is doing better with the battle than either Michigan or New York with much less restriction on commerce.

Maybe the STATE'S that decide to restrict business should be responsible for helping those business's and not look to the Federal Government? Why should the people of Florida be forced to pay for failing restaurants in Michigan when it was Michigan's decision to close them?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:38 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:56 am
km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 pm
TC Talks wrote:
I don't believe you can say that. You're just trying to prove a point by bending statistics.
Maybe not, but then you should also acknowledge that the 33% number was hyperbole too.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:48 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:11 am
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:53 am
The chart above was from a study done in the state of NY. Indoor dining (with restrictions) was operating during the study's timeframe. The NY shutdown of indoor dining happened this Monday past. Again, the numbers do not warrant doing so.

Even Governor "Cazzo" Cuomo, doesn't have the balls to shut down the major cause of virus spread during the season.

Then, lets look at information from this article...
Despite larger populations, currently freer peoples, and a media narrative that screams otherwise, there are far, far fewer deaths in Texas and in Florida than in New York.
And I would add, Michigan, which had far more restrictions on commerce than Texas and Florida.
Along Florida’s Gulf Coast, the streets are packed on weekends. In Naples, Florida just one week ago, lights hung majestically from lamp posts, a live Nativity stood in the road, Santa let children sit on his lap, and live bands performed every few blocks. Indoors, the bars were busy, and just after midnight the last pub’s band wound down for the night.

For months, American media consumers have been treated to news of Florida and Texas’s incoming death spirals. For months after, we were promised those death spirals were just around the bend. The funny thing with COVID, though, is unlike global warming doom science — always 3-12 years away and “too complex” to explain when it inevitably doesn’t happen — COVID doom predictions are checkable in just a few weeks. And COVID doom didn’t happen.
Here are the numbers...

Florida 21.67 million residents - 20,000 Covid deaths
Texas 28.7 million residents - 24,000 Covid deaths
NY - 19.54 million residents - 35,000 Covid deaths
Michigan - 9.8 million residents - 11,500 Covid deaths

Looks to me that both Texas and Florida is doing better with the battle than either Michigan or New York with much less restriction on commerce.

Maybe the STATE'S that decide to restrict business should be responsible for helping those business's and not look to the Federal Government? Why should the people of Florida be forced to pay for failing restaurants in Michigan when it was Michigan's decision to close them?
Texas is the size of most countries. Most that's happened in very dense parts of the state, you can't take these broad sweeping data points and try to make the conclusions you're trying to make

I spent August in Texas and to be honest with you there's nobody in most of Texas. Compare this to the most densely populated areas of the country and you're going to have much higher spread. This isn't your job and you're just trying to poke holes in a very complex situation. I assure you that the actions the states are taking are in fact saving lives. Fortunately it's been both Republican and Democrat governors who have put safety measures in place.

Why don't we look at another fact: Tennessee barely has any restrictions and they have the worst spread in the nation right now.

As for New York, it's a $500 fine if you're caught not wearing a mask. Only 10% of restaurants can be occupied, and guess what they close that down 2 weeks ago. If you're suggesting we need to adopt New York's policies I am all for it. As a matter of fact, the shit is so bad here I'm heading back to New York next week to our apartment.

― Noam Chomsky

kager

Post by kager » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:33 am

Bye, now. Safe travels...

The difference in climate between Texas / Florida and NY / Michigan affects human behaviour and Covid numbers as well.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:03 pm

TC and Kager do have valid points.

I was recently in Scottsdale, AZ and the restaurants were quite lively. So lively that the bar area in the steakhouse I chose to dine at was so full, with no social distancing or masks, I declined to wait for a table in the bar area and chose to wait in the car until a table was ready. The dining area had tables properly spaced.

So, I checked Covid cases in Scottsdale and see that cases are up 11% and deaths up 7%.

But it still begs the question as to why people in Florida or Arizona for that matter should be forced to pay for Michigan restaurants?

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:08 pm

Give me a fucking break. This has just as much do with Democrats (state and fed) as it does Repubs (fed level) if not more with Whitmers stringent restrictions. Anyways, I get it from an elitist Democrat point of view it's just easy to blame the other guy through those rosy sunglasses.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:38 pm

There was an article recently that said that something like 55 of the outbreaks in the state (out of several hundred) were traced to restaurants and bars. In which counties? Where? 50 in Detroit, 5 in Lansing? One in each of 55 counties? All in the southern parts of the state, and none up north? Were they in bars or bar areas where people mingle freely? How many of these are from sit-down areas in restaurants?

Why penalize those up north for something that is happening down south. In Lansing, apparently somebody thinks that because it it happening bad in the Detroit area, it will happen bad in the U.P.

If a certain restaurant is not taking precautions, shut them down for 2 weeks. Those that are taking precautions and have no outbreaks, allow them to stay open.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic