Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Probation System Is Broken

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
paul8539

Re: Michigan Probation System Is Broken

Post by paul8539 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:35 pm

What about defending yourself from 'bare hands'? There are some people who are trained to kill with their hands, fast and efficient. We do not know who they are. Therefore, if someone has hands, they should be treated as a deadly weapon, and you should be able to defend yourself with deadly force.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:14 pm

Here's another from the Detroit News today...
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy charged two Detroit men Friday in connection with a shooting that killed a Detroit man and wounded his brother.

Raymond Jones-Watson, 32, and Derrick Boozer, 29, were charged with first-degree murder, assault with intent to murder, felon in possession of a firearm, and two counts of felony firearm.

The shooting occurred around 8:15 p.m. Jan. 19 at a location in the 8530 block of Wildemere on Detroit's west side after an ongoing dispute. The gunfire killed a 32-year-old man and wounded his 34-year-old brother, who is expected to survive.
A quick check show Mr. Jones-Watson served seven years of a 15-year-sentence for armed robbery and car jacking. He was released in June of 2018. He was not on probation and had no active supervision conditions.

He was a convicted felon, yet had a firearm in his possession and used it. Although, as a felon, he is forbidden to possess one much less use it. I'm betting he acquired the firearm by means that didn't require a background check. I think it would be reasonable to conduct an investigation as to how Mr. Jones came about to have that firearm in his possession. Not only was Mr. Jones in violation of the law, so was the individual that sold it to him.

One might also wonder if the family of the 32-year-old man and his brother wishes Mr. Jones had served the entire 14-years? Or, at lease been under some kind of active supervision?

If you want to curtail gun violence in Detroit/Southeastern Michigan, come up with a plan to remove illegal hand-guns from the possession of people that aren't supposed to have them. Felons and people under 21.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:12 pm

Person of interest in Frenchtown Twp. shooting turns self in, 1 still at-large
One of two men sought in connection with a shooting last week of two teen girls in Frenchtown Township has turned himself in to authorities, officials said.

Austin A-Kouri Watkins, 26, turned himself in to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office Monday, they said.

A second person of interest in the shooting, Kelvin Lamont Harris Jr., 28, remains at-large
Mr. Watkins, as well as Mr. Harris are both convicted felons.

Mr. Harris, who remains at-large, served time for three counts of manufacture/delivery of narcotics and probation violations and was released in June of 2020. He served time on prior charges of disturbing the peace and assault and battery with a release date of 2012.

Mr. Watkins was sentenced in 2016 for four counts of manufacture/delivery of narcotics, was re-sentenced for a probation violation and was released in June of 2019 and is currently on probation.

Currently, the Biden Administration is focusing on gun control as a means to reduce violent crime. I submit that focusing on guns, the tool, is tantamount to blaming a hammer for a poorly constructed house. According to FBI crime statistics, convicted felons commit over 90 percent of the murders in this country, yet very few states have programs, or spend any law enforcement time, making sure felons both on or off probation don't have a firearm in their home or on their person. And by the way, those felons aren't using legally purchased guns.

If we concentrate on removing firearms from people that shouldn't have them, children and the mentally impaired included, the vast majority of murders committed by guns would virtually disapear.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:34 pm

Many of these people in prison have the attitude "Yes I did it, I am glad I did it, let me out of here so I can do it again.'
Something needs to be done to these people so they do NOT do it again.

How about: mandatory execution for a first offense.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:21 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:34 pm
Many of these people in prison have the attitude "Yes I did it, I am glad I did it, let me out of here so I can do it again.'
Something needs to be done to these people so they do NOT do it again.

How about: mandatory execution for a first offense.
Live in Primetime in a lion pit.

Constant Listener

Post by Constant Listener » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:36 pm

I’ve read some of the examples in this post about the folks on parole who’ve committed new offenses with interest. Let me fill in some of the blanks that posters here don’t know.

I’ve worked closely in the past with MDOC Probation and Parole Officers. Biggest complaint I’ve heard in the past is that they have repeatedly wanted to send back parolees who’ve reoffended, been using drugs and/or have violated their parole. They could not do it immediately. WHY? Upper management was rebuffing these attempts. While it may not a direct supervisor doing this, it was their regional office. Some of these parolees had to violate 3-4 times before being sent back to prison. Why? Lots of times it was a money issue or the parolee had medical needs that MDOC wasn’t crazy about paying. So don’t be blaming the front line workers who were trying to do their job to protect the public from these scumbags.

And before someone starts making this political, this has happened under Whitmer and Snyder. Probably happened under Granholm also.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:34 pm

Thank you for responding to this post with inside information so to speak. I in no way shape or form blame the front line officers for the problems with the system. The problems are with the system. Hence the title to my post.

Bureaucracies such as the parole system survive from administration to administration and are rife with the prejudices and political ideals of the bureaucracy that runs it. Fixing the bureaucracy is what's needed to fix the system.

There are calls to strip qualified immunity from police officers. Maybe some of the bureaucrats should be held accountable when their polices cause innocent victims to be killed or severely beaten or robbed by people that were allow back on the streets when they shouldn't be.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic