Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Oakland University testing how far they can push the limits

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 13307

Oakland University testing how far they can push the limits

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:58 pm

Here's an extremely interesting study in just how far people will go in the name of COVID safety.

A couple days ago when they released their back to campus plan, Oakland University was going to make it mandatory for on-campus residents, staff, and athletes to wear a BioButton on their chest 24/7 during the semester that would monitor their temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, cough rate, sleep time, body position, and more in the name of getting a jump on people that might be coming down with something that might or might not be COVID.

After some outrage started stirring, they've since backed down from mandatory and are now framing it as strongly recommended instead with the explanation that they (OU) wouldn't see specifics in the data, just a "red light" (or a green light) that would prompt deeper questioning / exclude someone from campus activities.

So ... how far would you go in the name of COVID safety? Would you be willing to wear this BioButton to let your school monitor you 24/7?

https://www.wxyz.com/news/bio-buttons-t ... y-students

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Oakland University testing how far they can push the limits

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 pm

A university, yes. My employer? No.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 14896

Re: Oakland University testing how far they can push the limits

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:22 am

I've been seeing this reported. Now I could be wrong, but I can't shag the feeling this was originally intended to be some sort of research project beyond Covid detection.

All the biometrics that Howard talked about would be collected, combined, analyzed, etc. Down the road a paper would if come out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic