Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A conversation with tolling proponent Baruch Feigenbaum

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**

audiophile

Re: A conversation with tolling proponent Baruch Feigenbaum

Post by audiophile » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:17 pm

So basically were getting tolls road because some use electric cars and pay no gas tax? Charge them more for license plates...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm

I'm not sure how well this may work in the Lower Peninsula. (I'm totally unfamiliar with the UP).

I'm not saying it's not a good idea. But it seems like me that you can take a "surface" street with not much delay.
Using Google Maps, get directions to somewhere that you normally use the interstate to get to.
Use the route options "Avoid highways, tolls and ferries". It really don't take too much longer.

But then again, if there was toll roads, the alternates may be more clogged up.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:17 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm
I'm not sure how well this may work in the Lower Peninsula. (I'm totally unfamiliar with the UP).

I'm not saying it's not a good idea. But it seems like me that you can take a "surface" street with not much delay.
Using Google Maps, get directions to somewhere that you normally use the interstate to get to.
Use the route options "Avoid highways, tolls and ferries". It really don't take too much longer.

But then again, if there was toll roads, the alternates may be more clogged up.
There are no highways there with the exception of 75 from the bridge to the SSM.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:27 pm

I am all for it if they are automatically captured and billed like iPass.

I don't use the highways, so why should I pay for them? Isn't that the Conservative way?

Heavy trucks and commuters need to pay for the use. We should divert the revenue gains to housing and mental health so all the crazy idiots living in mom's basement don't have to be shot by police.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:27 pm
I am all for it if they are automatically captured and billed like iPass.

I don't use the highways, so why should I pay for them? Isn't that the Conservative way?

Heavy trucks and commuters need to pay for the use. We should divert the revenue gains to housing and mental health so all the crazy idiots living in mom's basement don't have to be shot by police.
Implying their knees can support maneuvering up the steps after several years of living in the dark and having mom throw down tendies while they peruse /pol/.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 am

In the past I wasn't so sure about them but now I feel OK given the state of our roads and an outdated funding formula. Being the auto capital it's shameful we have shitty roads. They have been neglected for so long and now it will cost billions to get them where they need to be. And Lansing can't seem to get anything done for road funding so why not toll?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:03 am

TheForce wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 am
In the past I wasn't so sure about them but now I feel OK given the state of our roads and an outdated funding formula. Being the auto capital it's shameful we have shitty roads. They have been neglected for so long and now it will cost billions to get them where they need to be. And Lansing can't seem to get anything done for road funding so why not toll?
I and others have said this before on here.
Michigan would of voted for a tax on roads. If it was going just to roads. But the last two tries, 50% of the tax Snyder wanted, and 40% of the tax Whitner wanted, was going to other things that had nothing to do with fixing roads. Yet both were being called a road tax.

Michiganders aien't stupid.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:25 am

The sales tax on gasoline should go exclusively to roads. We're already paying it anyways. Would be a big boost. They'll just have to find monies elsewhere to replace those funds on other things. Any tax at the pump should be going to roads 100%.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:53 am

Amen.

What about all the Amazon sales taxes now being paid, that previously likely slipped through the cracks.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 am

I'd be fine with some toll roads if they were exclusively transponder and toll-by-plate AND if at least part of the tolls went to help upgrades on that specific road (for example, US-23 and I-94 are in dire need of upgrades in SE Michigan)

UP906

Post by UP906 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:39 am

As a resident of the U.P. I am all for toll roads downstate... but like ftballfan said, the money collected should go to fix the road it was collected on.

Thread Killer

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Charge tolls at the state border along US-2, US-41, I-75, US-23, I-94, I-69, US-127, US-131, US-31, etc. That way, cross-state truck drivers who gas up in Indiana, Ohio or Canada will still "pay up."

There should be no tolls for intrastate travel.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:52 pm
Charge tolls at the state border along US-2, US-41, I-75, US-23, I-94, I-69, US-127, US-131, US-31, etc. That way, cross-state truck drivers who gas up in Indiana, Ohio or Canada will still "pay up."

There should be no tolls for intrastate travel.
What about Michigan residents? Would we get credited at income tax time?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic