Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
UP906

Re: Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:38 am

How do they not have a choice? Do you think your average inner city kid has the means to attend the private school of his/her choosing?

Step outside of your bubble and look around. The answer is vouchers.

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:38 am

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:38 am
How do they not have a choice? Do you think your average inner city kid has the means to attend the private school of his/her choosing?

That way the school districts that are hitting can get worse! Brilliant!

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:41 am

Rate This wrote:
UP906 wrote:

If they are failing the children there is no reason to continually prop them up.

Thread Killer

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:52 am

Rate This wrote:
UP906 wrote:

So continuing to throw money at a failing system makes sense how? If you have a job that requires you to be there in person, yet you don't show up, you forfeit the right to retain that job. Same argument as no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:06 am

Remember, poor kids are just as bright as white kids.

Vouchers are the way to get them the best schooling they can get.

Thread Killer

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:54 am

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:06 am

The problem with vouchers, it allows private organizations to cherry-pick students and leaves the students who have challenges at home or emotionally left behind because they are not cost effective learners.

If any student who wishes to be at your school it's guaranteed placement and can't easily be expelled, then we're talking. Otherwise they don't face the challenges that public districts face but not adequately funded to meet those challenges.

I'm going to take a big assumption that you have not spent time in an inner-city district and us have failed to recognize this part of the discussion.

herein lies the problem you are trying to run the country from a country bumpkin or suburban perspective if not a hollistic perspective.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 am

Wow... where to begin...

Firstly, I didn't move to the UP until my Senior year of high school. I did grades K-11 in the Southwest Side of Chicago. I've witnessed firsthand the war between the Folks and People Nations spill from the streets into the schools. We had metal detectors and cops on campus in the early 90's because the threat of gang violence was all too real.

What you are guilty of is the soft racism of lowered expectations. It's been my experience that even the most criminally inclined kids possessed a level of intelligence that would allow them to succeed if given the opportunity at a proper education removed from the environment that they are forced to endure.

Children... ALL children... are products of their environment. Forcing a bright student to submit to the welfare plantation and receive a lesser education is not only inhumane, but in my opinion is borderline criminal.

If the child and his family want a better education for said student but can't afford to send him or her to a better district or a private institution, then it is our job as members of the American village to get the vouchers that will afford the student the education he or she deserves.

If the child flunks out, that is on him or her. However, I'd bet dollars to donuts that if given the opportunity the success rate would be astronomical.

What we are doing now isn't working.

What is the definition of insanity?

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:34 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:52 am
Rate This wrote:
UP906 wrote:

So continuing to throw money at a failing system makes sense how? If you have a job that requires you to be there in person, yet you don't show up, you forfeit the right to retain that job. Same argument as no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Reforming the system makes sense. Abandoning it does not. Reopening schools is not safe at this time. They’ll have to come up with some remote learning options. While children don’t get extremely sick usually from this the adults that work in the schools are more vulnerable on aggregate... if it made sense to shut them down before and things are worse with this surge than they were when we Shut down why in the world would we reopen? Trump believe this will get him votes. His failing campaign is as desperate as it gets. That’s it.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:51 am

There are some (admittedly a very small percentage) that want schools completely out until fall 2021 (with kids entering the grade they were scheduled to enter this fall in the fall of 2021).

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:16 am

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 am
Wow... where to begin...

Firstly, I didn't move to the UP until my Senior year of high school. I did grades K-11 in the Southwest Side of Chicago. I've witnessed firsthand the war between the Folks and People Nations spill from the streets into the schools. We had metal detectors and cops on campus in the early 90's because the threat of gang violence was all too real.

What you are guilty of is the soft racism of lowered expectations. It's been my experience that even the most criminally inclined kids possessed a level of intelligence that would allow them to succeed if given the opportunity at a proper education removed from the environment that they are forced to endure.

Children... ALL children... are products of their environment. Forcing a bright student to submit to the welfare plantation and receive a lesser education is not only inhumane, but in my opinion is borderline criminal.

If the child and his family want a better education for said student but can't afford to send him or her to a better district or a private institution, then it is our job as members of the American village to get the vouchers that will afford the student the education he or she deserves.

If the child flunks out, that is on him or her. However, I'd bet dollars to donuts that if given the opportunity the success rate would be astronomical.

What we are doing now isn't working.

What is the definition of insanity?
TCT was always talking about Chi town, now I never hear about it. He would never send his kids to public school there either, at least today.

It's just more of his "do as I say, not as I do..."

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:29 am

I love Chicago. Most of my family is still there and the nightlife is unparalleled. I try to get back a couple times a year for a concert and to visit.

However, by the time I get south of Crivitz I'm ready to go home. While I cut my teeth driving down there, i just can't stand the traffic anymore LOL!

Thread Killer

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm
.... My wife teaches 2nd grade in the public schools .....
Mr Transistor. Just the person I want to talk to. I want you to show this to your wife, and get her opinion, which promise me I will value:

What do we do about the kids that are not going to get taught at home? I have a specific true scenario here. I have a niece and her husband that are doing nothing with their 4th and 1st (in the fall) grade kids. To be brutally honest, these two couldn't teach an ice cube how to melt. Their not even half hearted attempt at teaching is to flop them in front of the Netflix Kids or some educational stuff on Amazon. "Watch this". And that's it. No watching with them, no making sure they are grasping any concepts in any way. No attempt to get materials from the district (Bedford). And even if they did, I'm sure they would do nothing with them. I ponder if those two Big Dummy Walking could understand it themselves.

Realistically, they can't be the only ones. I truly believe there is going to be a sizable percentage of kids showing up in classrooms, whenever that does happen, because their folks could write a book "Parenting by Self Proctology"

I say all that to say this.
What can be done about something like this? Should there be an incentive to get some kids back?
Should the schools test out the kids, see which are being taught, which are not? Could the testing ascertain who comes back and who don't? Let the kids that know their stuff stay home and let their parents that are doing a great job continue to do so? Bring back the kids who ain't learning nothin' back to the classroom?

Her thoughts?

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 am

We are seeing the result of years of kicking the can down the road. Same way we addressed the road issue. Let the next group deal with it because we are doing the 'death by a thousand cuts' management style. Roads, education, Post Office... you name it, life isn't free so now the cost is a much steeper than if it were taken care of before.

If you think the teacher is all done for the day when the Zoom gets turned off, your wrong. There is a lot of prep that goes into a lesson plan because the class is 20-30 individuals and you have to make it work for all the different levels. Multiply that by how many classes that they are responsible for. So there goes your evening getting ready for the next day. Wash, rinse, repeat....

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:54 am
UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:06 am

The problem with vouchers, it allows private organizations to cherry-pick students and leaves the students who have challenges at home or emotionally left behind because they are not cost effective learners.

If any student who wishes to be at your school it's guaranteed placement and can't easily be expelled, then we're talking. Otherwise they don't face the challenges that public districts face but not adequately funded to meet those challenges.

I'm going to take a big assumption that you have not spent time in an inner-city district and us have failed to recognize this part of the discussion.

herein lies the problem you are trying to run the country from a country bumpkin or suburban perspective if not a hollistic perspective.
First, we need to reset the mentality around public schools: It's not the government's job to make sure kids learn, it's the parent's job. The schools should not have to deal with kids that are disruptive to the rest of the school and the ability for all the other kids to get an education.

If the teacher's unions had any interest in improving schools, they'd be the ones advocating for getting rid of the Dept of Ed at the federal level. There is NO reason for that to exist and it is just a drain on the resources that should be put towards educating students.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Maybe it isn't about the kids at all. Check out the list of "demands" from the Los Angeles Teacher's Union.

https://californiaglobe.com/section-2/l ... -defunded/

Thread Killer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic