Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ford facing challenges: BLM vs The Inceptor

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Ford facing challenges: BLM vs The Inceptor

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:44 am

The number of cars sold to police vs the stigma Ford has as being an historically racist company is going to be a telling conversation about Detroit and race. Detroit officers were driving a Ford when they plowed into a group of peaceful protesters, George Floyd was chocked to death next to a Ford...

This is an interesting one that pits the Ford President against a board member. Either way, the article digs into an uncomfortable aspect of Ford.
But, a letter to Hackett and company chairman Bill Ford is circulating at Ford’s headquarters, with employees being asked to digitally sign. According to some of the text of the letter:

On June 1st, you communicated to the company your commitment to “lead from the front and fully commit to creating the fair, just and inclusive culture that our employees deserve.” We thank you for your leadership on this initiative. We also appreciate and fully support your statement against “superficial actions,” and we write to push for real action by Ford Motor Company to address our role in the structures that perpetuate racism in society.

On May 25th, 2020 George Floyd was murdered by Minneapolis Police, alongside a Ford Police Interceptor. Days later, police officers drove Ford Police Interceptors into crowds of protesters in New York City and Los Angeles. During these past weeks, our vehicles have been used to deploy chemical weapons banned by the Geneva Convention.

Throughout our history, the vehicles that Ford employees design and build have been used as accessories to police brutality and oppression. We know that while many join, support, or supply law enforcement with good intentions, these racist policing practices that plague our society are historic and systemic—a history and system perpetuated by Ford for over 70 years—ever since Ford introduced the first-ever police package in 1950. As an undeniable part of that history and system, we are long overdue to “think and act differently” on our role in racism.

Something that stood out to me is Ford’s stance on “superficial actions,” which I’m guessing is a sub toward the many, many public gestures of alliance to Black Lives Matter, ranging from those empty #brand statements of white text on black backgrounds to murals painted on streets that we’re already forgetting about. It’s obvious Ford suggested it wanted to avoid that kind of empty lip service and instead pledged to make real change when an opportunity presents itself.

From the looks of it, no one in Ford’s C-suite was actually expecting such an opportunity to come.
https://jalopnik.com/america-s-great-ra ... 1844285290

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Re: Ford facing challenges: BLM vs The Inceptor

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:44 am
The number of cars sold to police vs the stigma Ford has as being an historically racist company is going to be a telling conversation about Detroit and race. Detroit officers were driving a Ford when they plowed into a group of peaceful protesters, George Floyd was chocked to death next to a Ford...

This is an interesting one that pits the Ford President against a board member. Either way, the article digs into an uncomfortable aspect of Ford.
But, a letter to Hackett and company chairman Bill Ford is circulating at Ford’s headquarters, with employees being asked to digitally sign. According to some of the text of the letter:

On June 1st, you communicated to the company your commitment to “lead from the front and fully commit to creating the fair, just and inclusive culture that our employees deserve.” We thank you for your leadership on this initiative. We also appreciate and fully support your statement against “superficial actions,” and we write to push for real action by Ford Motor Company to address our role in the structures that perpetuate racism in society.

On May 25th, 2020 George Floyd was murdered by Minneapolis Police, alongside a Ford Police Interceptor. Days later, police officers drove Ford Police Interceptors into crowds of protesters in New York City and Los Angeles. During these past weeks, our vehicles have been used to deploy chemical weapons banned by the Geneva Convention.

Throughout our history, the vehicles that Ford employees design and build have been used as accessories to police brutality and oppression. We know that while many join, support, or supply law enforcement with good intentions, these racist policing practices that plague our society are historic and systemic—a history and system perpetuated by Ford for over 70 years—ever since Ford introduced the first-ever police package in 1950. As an undeniable part of that history and system, we are long overdue to “think and act differently” on our role in racism.

Something that stood out to me is Ford’s stance on “superficial actions,” which I’m guessing is a sub toward the many, many public gestures of alliance to Black Lives Matter, ranging from those empty #brand statements of white text on black backgrounds to murals painted on streets that we’re already forgetting about. It’s obvious Ford suggested it wanted to avoid that kind of empty lip service and instead pledged to make real change when an opportunity presents itself.

From the looks of it, no one in Ford’s C-suite was actually expecting such an opportunity to come.
https://jalopnik.com/america-s-great-ra ... 1844285290
So the cops should walk across Detroit? Maybe use a bicycle? Beg somebody to slow down so they can catch up?

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:20 am

In my neck of the woods, Ford police vehicles are few and far between and when you see one it's an old Panther platform full size land yacht. These days they are using Chargers, Durangos and RAM pickups.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Most of the recent Ford engineering is done by foreign, first-year engineering grads. I'm not kidding.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:15 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:29 am
Cops suck and so does Ford!
Ford and cops have a long history: Ford stands for found on road dead... just like most blacks thag have run ins with cops.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:15 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Ford and cops have a long history: Ford stands for found on road dead... just like most blacks thag have run ins with cops.
Especially when they shoot at the cops.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:36 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:36 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:38 pm
Matt wrote:
lovinlife101 wrote:
NO!!!
Like the gangbanger in Detroit Friday.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:07 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:32 am
Rate This wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:36 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:36 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:38 pm
Matt wrote:
lovinlife101 wrote:
NO!!!
Like the gangbanger in Detroit Friday.
I love gang bangs! As long as they're consensual.
This one wasn’t and he paid the price. Maybe he should ask next time.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:

Thanks. We can always count on you for thoughtful analysis of these complex issues.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:13 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:04 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:

Thanks. We can always count on you for thoughtful analysis of these complex issues.
You're welcome.

Oh, and I almost forgot.

You suck, too!

You seem to be obsessed with sucking. Do you suck your thumb too, or just cocks?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:01 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:04 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:

You're welcome.

Oh, and I almost forgot.

You suck, too!
Weak.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Instead of worrying about who makes cop cars, maybe we should take on the issue of how police agencies go out of their way to "hide" cars that are used for routine policing such as traffic enforcement, etc.

Every cop car, aside from those on legitimate under cover operations, should be clearly identifiable as a police unit from 1000 feet away. Abolish hidden policing for activities that clearly do not need to be hidden -- especially traffic enforcement where the goal should be safety, not entrapment.

For the most part, Europe has this right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic