Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ethical dilemma: is it bad to send Covid patients to nursing homes?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Ethical dilemma: is it bad to send Covid patients to nursing homes?

Post by Matt » Tue May 19, 2020 6:43 pm

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... -scrutiny/

In my mind, I can see an ethical rationale for having a policy where you are sending sick people to nursing homes, given that the very nature of nursing homes are that they are either a rehab stop or a waiting room. I'm not sure why the state wouldn't be more forthcoming in acknowledging the policy.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Ethical dilemma: is it bad to send Covid patients to nursing homes?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 19, 2020 7:06 pm

This is a very important topic to discuss, but unfortunately, the WDIV story is exceptionally poorly written.

I'm having trouble following what state of Michigan policy was before, and what it is now.

Nursing homes are not exactly Hospice care facilities. Many residents of nursing homes are simply very elderly or severely disabled and require comprehensive care. I agree with Senator Lucido's remarks; there should not be mixing and matching happening here. Extreme care should be taken to protect non-COVID 19 nursing home residents from those who are infected with COVID-19.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Much better article (albeit an editorial page opinion) on the matter:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opini ... 220929002/

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu May 21, 2020 8:59 am

The health secretary in Pennsylvania is in hot water: https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/05/a ... evine.html

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 pm

Again, given the alternative of utilizing make shift hospitals, what is so wrong in using nursing homes in this capacity?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Bump: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 193407001/

So, some calculations death/cases

Nursing home patients: 1,947/7,163 = 27.18%
Nursing home staff: 20/3,133 = 0.64%
All others: 3,805/49,768 = 7.65%

You can be assured if the all others was broken down further by 65+ and preexisting condition, the residual "all others" would be much less.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Comment, TCT?

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:35 pm

I really don't know who's bright idea it was to mix the sick elderly people with other elderly people that were supposedly healthy. Just seems like a recipe for trouble. You had the Suburban showplace in Novi built into an extra hospital and barely had any patients- just a handful I believe and the place at Cobo or excuse me TCF- Cobo was racist apparently so TCF., that place was built into a makeshift hospital and nothing- that whole thing shit the bed. I think they tore them both down?? I don't know I am not a medical professional nor a pandemic disaster planner but seems things could have been better utilized with where to put some of these people. But go ahead your highness don't answer the questions and blame Trump for all that is wrong. Everyone else does it, what the hell is the difference.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:21 pm
Comment, TCT?
Yes, I am on a community leadership group that was stunned when our low income nursing homes were told they had to take COVID recovering patients. But this is a federal funding requirement. I have had a medical recovery patient go to a nursing home. Recovery pays more than federal Medicaid.

It's just a glimpse of what is broken with funding for the poor in the United States.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 pm
Matt wrote:
Comment, TCT?
Yes, I am on a community leadership group that was stunned when our low income nursing homes were told they had to take COVID recovering patients. But this is a federal funding requirement. I have had a medical recovery patient go to a nursing home. Recovery pays more than federal Medicaid.

It's just a glimpse of what is broken with funding for the poor in the United States.
Pathetic spin. This is on Whitmer. She never misses a chance to blame the federal government.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Matt wrote:
Comment, TCT?

Pathetic spin. This is on Whitmer. She never misses a chance to blame the federal government.
Do you understand Medicaid mandates? I do, this is a federal requirement. It has been this way for decades.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:50 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm
Matt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Matt wrote:
Comment, TCT?

Do you understand Medicaid mandates? I do, this is a federal requirement. It has been this way for decades.
Again, wrong. She has cried about emergency funding (despite not filing paperwork timely), ppe, and she's begged for a federal state bailout. If she could try to spin the nursing home deaths on Trump rather than throwing Dr. J under the bus, she would. Did the federal government say she couldn't use empty nursing homes?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:03 pm

You don't understand MedicAid funding. You are dead wrong about a deadly policy.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Explain it then, and explain why Karen hasn't blamed the federal government in one instance. Seems to me you are suggesting that government Healthcare is a failure.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 pm

No, I think those that have COVID shouldn't be sent to the nursing homes and Whitmer needs to explain herself and stop blaming others you own it. How I feel about Andrew the Gov from New York doing the same thing as Whitmer.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic