Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump attacks our Governor?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Trump attacks our Governor?

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Sure his hard core collection of idiots won't mind this, but he just shot himself in the foot with reasonable "undecided" voters. This is not how you lead a nation... Regardless with his personal feelings, undermining a sitting Governor during a time of crisis is a really stupid idea. But we all know who we are dealing with.

BMW running to his defense in 3,2,1....
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer declared a state of emergency, shut down public schools, bars and restaurants, and banned gatherings of 50 people to limit the spread of coronavirus COVID-19, but President Donald Trump said she “must work harder" to address the pandemic.

Trump referred to Whitmer as the “failing Michigan governor” in a Tuesday morning statement on Twitter, saying she must be more proactive but providing no details about how her response is lacking. His remarks came after Whitmer called on Trump to step up his coronavirus response during Monday and Tuesday appearances on cable news networks.
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... tdown.html

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Re: Trump attacks our Governor?

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm

So nice of you to conveniently leave out what Whitmer said yesterday that probably sparked Trump's tweet:
This is a dire situation because I think this administration didn’t take it seriously enough on the front end.
So there you have it. A state governor basically blames Trump for the situation we're in, and he's not supposed to fight back? He's just supposed to take every bit of criticism lobbed his way while Democratic state governors (particularly female ones) are off limits?

I certainly would have responded differently than Trump did if it were me - but he has every right to respond.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Had nothing to do with anything she said. Had something to do with articles about how she is seriously being considered VP candidate. Gotta make sure you smear her early and ofter with all his sycophants.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:32 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm
So nice of you to conveniently leave out what Whitmer said yesterday that probably sparked Trump's tweet:
This is a dire situation because I think this administration didn’t take it seriously enough on the front end.
So there you have it. A state governor basically blames Trump for the situation we're in, and he's not supposed to fight back? He's just supposed to take every bit of criticism lobbed his way while Democratic state governors (particularly female ones) are off limits?

I certainly would have responded differently than Trump did if it were me - but he has every right to respond.
What she said is true... and that’s not a partisan statement... Trump downplayed it for 7 weeks... does that suddenly make his response to her very mild even milktoast (not gonna try to spell it right) criticism name calling? Is that even a proportional response? Doesn’t seem like it.

Whitmer: You waited 7 weeks to take this seriously

Trump: YOU’RE A FAILING GOVERNOR!!!!

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:48 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Do you get a woodie when you see Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Whitmer's actions have been prudent.

I think she's managed emergency response quite effectively.

The feds were too slow in restricting travel, and they were definitely too slow in ramping up availability of test kits. Trump attacked Whitmer only because he knows 100% that what Whitmer stated is TRUE!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:41 pm

The feds were too slow in restricting travel, and they were definitely too slow in ramping up availability of test kits. Trump attacked Whitmer only because he knows 100% that what Whitmer stated is TRUE!
Well, that and also a lot of smart money is saying she'll be on the ticket with Biden.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Whitmer obviously doesn’t understand the Constitution. Banning groups is a violation of “freedom of assembly”. Forcing restaurants and such to close (or only offer delivery or carry out) is meddling where government shouldn’t. Let the businesses and customers decide, not the government. DeWine did the same in Ohio. Both should be gone next election.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:45 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:22 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

Whitmer obviously doesn’t understand the Constitution. Banning groups is a violation of “freedom of assembly”. Forcing restaurants and such to close (or only offer delivery or carry out) is meddling where government shouldn’t. Let the businesses and customers decide, not the government. DeWine did the same in Ohio. Both should be gone next election.
A state of emergency allows this to happen. There is nothing wrong here. There are times when things in our society need to be done in an organized and cohesive fashion for it to run correctly. You can’t have thousands of individual responses and expect everything to work well together.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 pm

It’s NOT an emergency! The mortality rate is extremely low. This is just another way for the government to get more into your life and take away your freedoms.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:06 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 pm
It’s NOT an emergency! The mortality rate is extremely low. This is just another way for the government to get more into your life and take away your freedoms.
And when it’s over everything will return to normal. You act as though this is permanent.

Worse case scenario is 10 million deaths... that’s not preemptively an emergency?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:47 pm
Well, that and also a lot of smart money is saying she'll be on the ticket with Biden.
Not quite.

32% Klobuchar
29% Kamala Harris
14% Stacy Abrams
9% Warren
6% C. Cortez Masto (Who???)
5% Val Demings (Who???)
5% Whitmer

There are currently 6 people ahead of her as far as bettors are concerned. https://www.predictit.org/markets/detai ... nomination

I'm not confident enough to put money into this prop if if I were to, it would be on Klobuchar. Whitmer, though, certainly seems to be attempting to build a resume.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:53 pm
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:47 pm
Not quite.

32% Klobuchar
29% Kamala Harris
14% Stacy Abrams
9% Warren
6% C. Cortez Masto (Who???)
5% Val Demings (Who???)
5% Whitmer

There are currently 6 people ahead of her as far as bettors are concerned. https://www.predictit.org/markets/detai ... nomination

I'm not confident enough to put money into this prop if if I were to, it would be on Klobuchar. Whitmer, though, certainly seems to be attempting to build a resume.
Catherine Cortez Masto is the Democratic Senator from Nevada. And was the Attorney General there for 12 years before that. Val Demings is a Representative from Florida and Former Orlando Police Chief.

So picks with a minority AND law enforcement background.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:10 am

If you were calling the shots, fuzzpower, many times more people would be affected, and the death toll would more closely resemble Italy. I suppose that's irrelevant to you.

The onerous restrictions on large groups, food service, etc. would not need to be nearly as onerous if widespread testing were available.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:31 am

What you did not say is she shot the first missle at him but spin it however you like. I'm sure there was purpose in her missle strike, she knew an attack would come her way and wear it like a badge of honor she will. She's got to keep her name out there in the limelight, some of it a political game for her keeping her in Papa Joe's radar. I do think she has done a good job with the State being decisive and being one of ahead of the curve. I guess it all keeps the focus of what she campaigned for with the roads off of people's radars and forgotten about for now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic