Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Looks Like Toll Roads Are Being Tossed Around Again

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**

Rate This

Re: Looks Like Toll Roads Are Being Tossed Around Again

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:40 pm

We could probably use to get with the program on these, it’s a good way to get some roads off the books if you do it right...

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:51 am

If they just put them on I-94, I-69 and I-75 on the borders and only made them a mile long or so (like the section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike entering from Ohio) then hardly anyone in Michigan would notice. Probably could make them pretty nominal too, so those travelers wouldn't bother to be inconvenienced in trying to bypass them by taking surface roads.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:19 pm

I'm pretty sure 94,75 and any "I" road are off limits if they were built with federal money.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:48 pm

While that is very true, I have read that the Trump administration wants to relax those rules because a lot of states are having road problems.
craig11152 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:19 pm
I'm pretty sure 94,75 and any "I" road are off limits if they were built with federal money.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:19 am

While regular toll booths at the border along I-94, US 31, US 131, US 23, I-69, I-75 and perhaps another couple major roadways would be ideal, I think combo weigh stations / toll booths for commercial truck traffic might be a good "Plan B" (and perhaps is an idea that would not violate current federal restrictions on new interstate freeway tolls).

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:33 am

How do you feel about weight limits? I think they need to be part of the discussion. Michigan's 164,000-pound gross weight limit is more than double the federal standard of 80,000 pounds. I know more axles are required here but why even have double weight over other states?
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:19 am
While regular toll booths at the border along I-94, US 31, US 131, US 23, I-69, I-75 and perhaps another couple major roadways would be ideal, I think combo weigh stations / toll booths for commercial truck traffic might be a good "Plan B" (and perhaps is an idea that would not violate current federal restrictions on new interstate freeway tolls).

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:07 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:33 am
How do you feel about weight limits? I think they need to be part of the discussion. Michigan's 164,000-pound gross weight limit is more than double the federal standard of 80,000 pounds. I know more axles are required here but why even have double weight over other states?
While I do agree that tightening up the weight limit couldn't hurt, I've said this before:
If truck weights were the reason our roads are in the toilet, the roads would be fine until you past the first few exits coming into the state. Using 75 as an example, the road would be smooth until you started passing the Monroe exits northbound. But as we all know, you can close your eyes and tell when you've entered Michigan.

But like I said, it would be a "win-win, why not?" to make the limit no higher than the states and province we border.

And another thing I've said before (broken record coming), it's shoddy workmanship. Does it not seem that EVERY interstate repair lately had spots that crumble or buckle in a few months? And why in the world is the company responsible getting another contract from the state?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:55 pm

I'd like to understand why the weight limits have to be so high. Where are those trucks coming from and going to? They can't be going out-of-state because those states have lower limits.

If it truly is needed and if it's just between certain sites, then reinforce those roads specifically for those heavier weights and limit the overweight trucks to just those routes.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Those with a better understanding of physics than I suggest the weight-per-axle restrictions Michigan imposes, which are relatively strict compared to the rest of the nation, are more important than the overall weight limit.

The problem is - numerous companies break the law and violate the limit.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Tolls are cheaper than auto repairs. Let's start with the districts where state legislators have blocked EVERY funding plan brought forth in the past 10 years.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic