Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stupidity In Latest Executive Order

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Stupidity In Latest Executive Order

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:45 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:32 pm
That’s cute. When a bunch of them are asymptotic that whole quote isn’t worth a hill of beans.
"Sick until proven healthy."

Yeah, that doesn't sound very American to me.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Vote Biden!
Last edited by TC Talks on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:45 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:32 pm
That’s cute. When a bunch of them are asymptotic that whole quote isn’t worth a hill of beans.
"Sick until proven healthy."

Yeah, that doesn't sound very American to me.
Temporarily that’s the way it’s working especially with so many asymptotic folks walking around. Jumping up and down and whining and crying about isn’t gonna get it open before May 1st... neither is driving around the capital blowing your horn.

So “I have absolute authority for opening the economy back up.” Or “With these governors it’s like Mutiny on the bounty and I’m captain” does sound American? Yeah about that... Uh no.... the governors make those calls... that’s a pretty clear cut thing.
Last edited by Rate This on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:49 pm

Dick and Betsy are nutjobs.... Read this schizophrenic series of statements: "This isn't OUR protest, but a protest of one of our paid goons, oh, and we are advertising it." What a piece of shit Betsy is...
DeVos family spokesman Nick Wasmiller, said the family hasn't provided any funds or organizing for the protest, but understand the frustrations of Michiganders.

"As elements of the governor’s top-down approach appear to go beyond public safety. Michigan deserves competent governance – not baseless attacks," he said in a statement.

Greg McNeilly, chairman of the Michigan Freedom Fund and former spokesman for the DeVos family, shot back at Whitmer on Twitter: "Clearly she remains misinformed and disconnected with reality. Sad and beneath her....well, maybe not."

Tony Daunt, executive director of the Freedom Fund, said Whitmer's statement is "categorically false." The organization hasn't contributed any money to the event and and is simply promoting the event in its social media postings.

The protest is featured on the Freedom Fund's Facebook page, the organization is listed as one of the hosts and in a Facebook post today said that it had paid $250 for an ad to promote the protest.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm
...especially with so many asymptotic folks walking around.
If there really are a bunch of asymptotic people out there (which I suspect there are), then that means the mortality rate is much lower than is being reported.
Jumping up and down and whining and crying about isn’t gonna get it open before May 1st... neither is driving around the capital blowing your horn.
I don't think the goal is to get things re-opened before May 1. I suspect the more realistic goal is to get some media attention and the attention of the state legislature such that they don't approve another extension for Whitmer to issue any more executive orders.
So “I have absolute authority for opening the economy back up.” Or “With these governors it’s like Mutiny on the bounty and I’m captain” does sound American? Yeah about that... Uh no.... the governors make those calls... that’s a pretty clear cut thing.
The legal theory for the President having overriding authority here is based on the idea that Constitutional rights are protected at the federal level and that as such, the federal government has overriding power to protect those rights when governors take them away. You can disagree with the premise that the executive orders are unconstitutional, but that's the theory here.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm
...especially with so many asymptotic folks walking around.
If there really are a bunch of asymptotic people out there (which I suspect there are), then that means the mortality rate is much lower than is being reported.
Jumping up and down and whining and crying about isn’t gonna get it open before May 1st... neither is driving around the capital blowing your horn.
I don't think the goal is to get things re-opened before May 1. I suspect the more realistic goal is to get some media attention and the attention of the state legislature such that they don't approve another extension for Whitmer to issue any more executive orders.
The legal theory for the President having overriding authority here is based on the idea that Constitutional rights are protected at the federal level and that as such, the federal government has overriding power to protect those rights when governors take them away. You can disagree with the premise that the executive orders are unconstitutional, but that's the theory here.
It’s not a very good theory... it’s also completely antithetical to Conservative orthodoxy... it’s even getting towards the dictatorial end of things...

As for Michigan.. we’ll start a gradual and measured reopening of the economy around May 1st. You and I both know that the GOP isn’t going to give her an extension unless things suddenly go way south. But we can’t just flip a switch and be business as usual then either...

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Her latest order to set up the commission to "explore the racial disparity" was based on 40% of the deaths being African-American even though they represent only 14% of the population in the state.

Did anybody - specifically anybody in the media - do any of the math to see if this check out??

Seems like 50% of the overall deaths in the state due to Covid-19 are just in the City of Detroit. What is the racial composition of African-Americans in the City of Detroit... 80%?? Shouldn't they be comparing the death rates in Detroit with the racial composition in Detroit, rather than the whole state??

Is it completely disingenuous for the Governor to misappropriate the statistics to imply there's a problem when there clearly is not? Does the media have any responsibility to 'fact check' her numbers??

I realize she's just trying to give Gilchrist something to do that gets him some exposure in case she does move on to the VP nomination, but somebody should call her out on the data, and point out her trying to make a health crisis into a racial issue is unsubstantiated and just plain wrong.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:30 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:08 pm
Her latest order to set up the commission to "explore the racial disparity" was based on 40% of the deaths being African-American even though they represent only 14% of the population in the state.

Did anybody - specifically anybody in the media - do any of the math to see if this check out??

Seems like 50% of the overall deaths in the state due to Covid-19 are just in the City of Detroit. What is the racial composition of African-Americans in the City of Detroit... 80%?? Shouldn't they be comparing the death rates in Detroit with the racial composition in Detroit, rather than the whole state??

Is it completely disingenuous for the Governor to misappropriate the statistics to imply there's a problem when there clearly is not? Does the media have any responsibility to 'fact check' her numbers??

I realize she's just trying to give Gilchrist something to do that gets him some exposure in case she does move on to the VP nomination, but somebody should call her out on the data, and point out her trying to make a health crisis into a racial issue is unsubstantiated and just plain wrong.
I’m not sure that it’s a racial issue so much as a “why is this happening and why are so many in the city proper getting it”... it’s an interesting question to explore...

It’s also disingenuous to imply that the only black folks dying are in Detroit...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:30 pm

It’s also disingenuous to imply that the only black folks dying are in Detroit...
You are correct. There is also a large number of cases and deaths taking place in Southfield, Oak Park and a section of Farmington Hills. Guess which demographic is dominant in those locations?

Someone help me with this. Try as I might, I can't find any information on regular influenza since around the end of February. Not spread or deaths caused by it. They were predicting a pretty bad year for the Flu before the Covid-19 pandemic. Did everyone just stop catching and/or dying from regular influenza since this all began?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:30 pm

You are correct. There is also a large number of cases and deaths taking place in Southfield, Oak Park and a section of Farmington Hills. Guess which demographic is dominant in those locations?

Someone help me with this. Try as I might, I can't find any information on regular influenza since around the end of February. Not spread or deaths caused by it. They were predicting a pretty bad year for the Flu before the Covid-19 pandemic. Did everyone just stop catching and/or dying from regular influenza since this all began?
I did see a graph from the CDC that showed they pretty much went to zero

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:36 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 am

How can that be??? Did Covid-19 attack and kill all the influenza viruses floating around?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:36 am
km1125 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 am

How can that be??? Did Covid-19 attack and kill all the influenza viruses floating around?
Perhaps the flu is easier to kill off with social distancing?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Not likely it went to zero, just overshadowed by Covid-19. A lot of people aren't going to doctor or hospital and just trying to stick it out at home.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 pm

Someone wrote this comment after the governor's briefing today:
I'm sorry, but our Governor must really think we're stupid. She said today she won't let people travel because they will touch gas pump handles, which will spread COVID19. Really? I guess Michiganders dont know how to use gloves or hand sanitizer?! This is why people are protesting.
Why not require gloves or other protective gear to pump gas instead of locking down the state more?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:10 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 pm
Someone wrote this comment after the governor's briefing today:
I'm sorry, but our Governor must really think we're stupid. She said today she won't let people travel because they will touch gas pump handles, which will spread COVID19. Really? I guess Michiganders dont know how to use gloves or hand sanitizer?! This is why people are protesting.
Why not require gloves or other protective gear to pump gas instead of locking down the state more?
Because a lot of rubes won’t do that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic