Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

For all you rubes that thought an "independent" commission was needed

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: For all you rubes that thought an "independent" commission was needed

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:51 am

The conservative group is aiming to discredit the commission when the state suddenly comes out evenly split or there is suddenly a 1 seat advantage for the Democrats. I guarantee that their reasons are partisan.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:15 pm

MasterB wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:54 am
Both sides seem to have complained about the commission they must be doing their jobs ticking off both sides.
Agreed.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:16 pm

MLive an hour ago posted the wrong Congressional map, causing me to make a post (since deleted) where I expressed outrage at the adopted district shapes.

The good news? The ACCURATE map is much better!

I support this map, generally speaking. I think Ottawa County could have been handled better, but that's my only real complaint. The dividing line roughly follows M-45. Kent County is split between urban / suburban on the one hand and rural on the other hand, which is a logical way to divide the county (although I would prefer a unified county). Greater G.R. and Muskegon are lumped into one district, which makes sense. Kalamazoo and Battle Creek also will share a district, which makes great sense. Right now, Battle Creek is lumped with Grand Rapids, which makes little sense.

I am unsure where the dividing line occurs in Berrien County. Are Benton Harbor and St. Joe in different districts? Which of those two cities are in the southern border district? Which of those two are in the lakeshore district?

The map was adopted by an 8 to 5 vote. I like the SE Michigan and mid-Michigan district shapes.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... l-map.html

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:24 pm

Yay for me, were still stuck with the turd from Mississippi.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:55 pm

District 3 will be interesting to watch if Rep. Meijer runs for re-election. A hard right Republican would have little chance of doing well based on the new configuration, but someone like Meijer has a fair chance of winning a general election race. If Meijer were to lose in the primary to a hardliner, that district would likely be flipped to the Dem column.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:13 am

I like the maps they are very fair to me. I hope that Peter Meijer wins his primary I just don't think he should lose just because he voted to impeach Trump because of Jan 6 neither should Upton either. If I lived in Meijer's area I'd vote for him in the primary I wouldn't vote for the hardliner I wouldn't vote for the Dem either look to the third party candidates that lean middle of the road and a bit conservative. I don't like hardliners on either side.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:51 am

What really struck me is how truly asinine the Congressional districts in SE Michigan are shaped under the existing (2010) configuration. That was gerrymandering to the extreme!

The new district shapes are a gigantic improvement for SE Michigan.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:21 am

Up next? Lawsuits from those politicians who lose with the redistricting.
The maps commissioners come up with will likely be challenged in court, as many observers remain concerned about the commission’s adherence to the Voting Rights Act and other state and federal redistricting requirements.
MLive

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:19 am

Some more info:
-Benton Harbor and St. Joe are part of the same district as Kalamazoo, BC and Holland. Stevensville and points south are part of the southern border district.
-Fillmore St. is the dividing line in most of Ottawa County. Thus, the GVSU campus and most of Allendale Twp. will be in the same district as Grand Rapids, as I suspected. Georgetown Twp. will be split between two districts, with Cottonwood Dr. serving as the boundary. Nearly all households there will be in the Holland district; a very small number (near the Jenison airport) will be in the GR district.

Schyster

Post by Schyster » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:36 am

I understand the need to get rid of gerrymandering, but it seems the commission did that at the cost of combining areas that have very different needs. I live in Clinton County, and for the State House map, I now live in an area that includes the northern half of the City of Lansing. The urban needs of the City of Lansing are going to be very different than the rural needs of Clinton County. One representative is supposed to represent both? The population center of Lansing will dictate the representative based on their needs, leaving the rural section out in the cold. Time will tell how this works, but my initial reaction to the three new maps and how it affects my area isn't positive.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:53 am

Admittedly, I've spent no time studying the State House maps. 110 districts is a little too much for my brain to absorb.

You do raise a valid point.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:28 pm

The big question, is this better than the 2010 districts? Overall, yes.

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Agreed. I will say Oakland County is still subdivided into too many pieces as far as U.S. Congressional districts are concerned. Parts of six different districts include a portion of Oakland County. That is also the case today albeit with district shapes that are extremely incoherent. The new boundaries are far more logical.

The current Congressional delegation from Michigan includes four Oakland County residents.

I like some of my proposed maps better than the one that was adopted.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:01 am

A lot of Democrats here in Warren are pissed because we lost Andy Levin here in the 10th. Admittedly, I am concerned at who will step forward to run for the Democrats. Would love if Steve Bieda could run. Rumor is John James is going to move in district and run.

Regardless, I think the districting committee got it right. I see most counties staying together and much less irregular patterning.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15716

Post by Deleted User 15716 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:20 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:01 am
Regardless, I think the districting committee got it right. I see most counties staying together and much less irregular patterning.
Debbie Dingall is moving to Ann Arbor. She keeps most of her current constituents, but loses her home town of Dearborn. Her new district will stretch from towns along the Detroit River west to include all of Washtenaw County.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic