Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why is the state responsible for YOUR water?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Why is the state responsible for YOUR water?

Post by audiophile » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:14 pm

HD74 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:47 pm
Interesting that you are just fine with bottled water, and WHEN that runs out??
The Nestle company, which has since sold their water company has sucked billions of gallons out of the watershed here in Michigan, and it still continues under the new company. Streams are drying out, this is doing irreparable damage to this state.
Guess what? We ain’t gonna get no water from California.
What are your kids kids going to do when they have to purchase water on the black market just to survive?
Perhaps, Audiophile, you should reconsider your “solution”.
Not going to happen. If you think 4 gallons a week for a family is going cause the state to run out of water then I suggest you take a basic math class because you misplaced a few zeros!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:00 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:08 am
The solution is simple.

We drink and cook with bottled water, I have arsenic in water.
Should the state should pay for a reverse osmosis unit for my whole house?

I spend $3/week for bottled water.
So what should the fire department charge you for the water to put out a fire?

If you paid by the mile for the road usage, you'd be riding a bike.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:52 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:00 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:08 am
The solution is simple.

We drink and cook with bottled water, I have arsenic in water.
Should the state should pay for a reverse osmosis unit for my whole house?

I spend $3/week for bottled water.
So what should the fire department charge you for the water to put out a fire?

If you paid by the mile for the road usage, you'd be riding a bike.
Do you spend all night coming up with straw man arguments?

I live right next to a large body of water. The rural fire department here does not have any close access to any hydrants, they have a well and a pond for water.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

NEXT!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm

So what you're telling me is we should be building legislation based around how things work for your life with no consideration for the rest of the 330 million Americans?

That's the problem with white kristians, they think the whole world revolves around them when actually they're likely just a dumb hick who surround themselves with people just like them.

Point to the scripture where Jesus preaches that water should be privately owned...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:14 pm

I just saw a report that says there's about 38,000 homes in Detroit that have serious house issues... plumbing, electrical, heating or roofing types of issues.

Should the State step in and take care of those and have all the taxpayers in Michigan fund it?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:29 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm
Point to the scripture where Jesus preaches that water should be privately owned...
You are correct. Water should be free. You and I both have every right to take a tanker truck and suck all we want out of Lake Michigan. Drink it, shower in it, do our laundry with it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:29 pm
TC Talks wrote:
You are correct. Water should be free. You and I both have every right to take a tanker truck and suck all we want out of Lake Michigan. Drink it, shower in it, do our laundry with it.
I prefer to pay my city for water that has been treated and delivered to my house. If someone else get their water free, great! Happy with my deal.

― Noam Chomsky

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:42 am

Benton Harbor will lose 20% of their population due to their water crisis, like Flint did. And there are probably scores of other cities who fudged their numbers and covered it up. Flint has been ruined by people who act like it is the only city dealing with unemployment, water problems, etc. And yet, our tax money has been used to get an entirely new "free" water distribution system for Flint by prolonging the problem. Almost all older cities have aging water distribution systems.

Why not just have different levels of water like levels of waste water? They already have storm drains and sanitary sewers. Just have a filtration system for water used for drinking, cooking, dishes, and showering (Does anyone still take baths?). There is no need for water to be perfectly free of contaminants just to flush your toilets and water your lawns.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:29 pm
TC Talks wrote:
I prefer to pay my city for water that has been treated and delivered to my house. If someone else get their water free, great! Happy with my deal.
My point was you say Jesus preaches free water for all. But you want your water treated too.
Do you want to fetch and drink free water out of Traverse Bay? Or you do you want to pay for your water to be treated?
Can't have it both ways, can you?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:16 am

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:48 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 pm
That's fine, but why should someone in a different city have to pay for YOUR city's water system when you and your neighbors didn't keep the system up to current specs??

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 am

It's pretty easy to see when TCT is losing an argument.

TCT should meet at the community well with his bucket.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Access to clean potable water and proper sewage disposal is the cornerstone of community health. And unfortunately that means we have to pool our resources at some level to provide those services for our communities.

I don't know the story of Benton Harbor, but just the fact that two primarily Black Michigan cities have some sort of water problem leads me to believe that there are things we need to learn. Who built these water systems? Who maintains them? Why has one or two gone bad, but others are operating properly? Community water systems need management by non-political appointees. Repair contracts need to be bid out and supervised by non-political appointees.

This is truly a mess, and a blight on our state. Doesn't matter who broke it, it must be fixed. And fast.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:39 pm
Access to clean potable water and proper sewage disposal is the cornerstone of community health. And unfortunately that means we have to pool our resources at some level to provide those services for our communities.

I don't know the story of Benton Harbor, but just the fact that two primarily Black Michigan cities have some sort of water problem leads me to believe that there are things we need to learn. Who built these water systems? Who maintains them? Why has one or two gone bad, but others are operating properly? Community water systems need management by non-political appointees. Repair contracts need to be bid out and supervised by non-political appointees.

This is truly a mess, and a blight on our state. Doesn't matter who broke it, it must be fixed. And fast.
I sincerely doubt these issues are unique to this state, just a couple have been made very public. Community water systems should be run like any other department... sanitation, police, public rec, etc. I agree that there shouldn't be a "political appointee" to run this unless they ARE qualified to do so, and it should take ratification by council instead of just an independent selection by a mayor, at his sole whim.

The systems at some point were built and served well (apparently) but, as you rightfully point out, they DO need to be maintained. That DOES cost money and the folks benefiting from that water should be the ones responsible for paying it. Not some other town who has their own issues with their own water, and not folks who have been living off wells and septics for decades. The local town should also be able to make their own decisions if they need to upgrade their local water plants to comply with new "standards", which are likely enacted by folks who never have to pay the bills.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:20 pm

km1125, I appreciate your point here, but there is one large fallacy in your argument.
km1125 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 pm
The systems at some point were built and served well (apparently) but, as you rightfully point out, they DO need to be maintained. That DOES cost money and the folks benefiting from that water should be the ones responsible for paying it. Not some other town who has their own issues with their own water, and not folks who have been living off wells and septics for decades. The local town should also be able to make their own decisions if they need to upgrade their local water plants to comply with new "standards", which are likely enacted by folks who never have to pay the bills.
Whether you know it or not, you benefit from that water if you own a Whirlpool appliance or use plastic fabricated at Siemens or use any of the products or services built or created in the area.

Societies and communities are connected, you can't burrow away somewhere in Grosse Pointe saying "That's your problem, not mine." I don't drive on any of the roads in Detroit, why should my gas tax go to pay to repair I-75? I'm not a Pistons fan, why should my taxes be used to pay the interest on the bonds sold to build the new arena?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic