Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOOD-TV8 staff push back on internal memo to tone down Pride Month coverage

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
ToneLoc

Re: WOOD-TV8 staff push back on internal memo to tone down Pride Month coverage

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:58 am

First and foremost, this is why no organization should use internal memos to communicate anything of a sensitive nature. It should be done verbally and privately. Anything written can and will be used as evidence.

Second, I think it's safe to say that most of the push-back from LGBTQ stories are from those who are not only "conservative" but have a religious affiliation. It's Grand Rapids folks. Any given Sunday you will find tens of thousands, if not more, people in church in Western Michigan. It's safe to say these are the primary people who are vocal about not wanting to see LGBTQ stories.

That being said, the actual verbiage of the memo was not as scandalous as it's being portrayed.

It said two things.
1. We don't need to cover every LGBTQ event.
2. Be balanced and tell various sides of stories.

Let's use those filters for any other news stories. Does every shooting get coverage? Does every auto accident get coverage? Does every bill that passes in government get covered? No.

Next, be balanced in reporting.

I see no issue here.

Now, the rub is with getting other perspectives on LGBTQ issues. And what are those issues? Some believe those within the LGBTQ community are choosing a "sinful lifestyle" and therefore disagree with it. Globally, we're far from a consensus. 64 countries still outlaw homosexuality. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-43822234 Also, several people used to be in the LGBTQ community who are no longer there and now disavow it. There are several reasons for that, which I won't go into here, but there are people who were part of it that are no longer part of it.

In Grand Rapids, I think it would be difficult to find a prominent, mainstream faith leader who would say anything disparaging to those in the LGBTQ community.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:50 pm

AndyD wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:30 pm
Pat Robertson's CBN, an ABC News article from 2001, the website for a "pray away the gay" group and one quack study do not count as reliable source. Ridiculous.

I will say there's obviously nothing wrong with being balanced in coverage. That's what a journalist should strive to do. But to think a Pride celebration needs to be "balanced" by talking to some anti-LGTBQ+ nuts is tantamount to covering a Juneteenth celebration and getting reaction from the KKK to "balance it out".
"Pat Robertson's CBN"? He's dead. Nothing is his anymore.

I guess ABC News from the early 2000's can't be trusted.

The Changed Movement is a group of people who have never said "Pray away the gay" as you have posited. They are people who journeyed to self-discovery.

"The participants were 200 self-selected individuals (143 males, 57 females) who reported at least some minimal change from homosexual to heterosexual orientation that lasted at least 5 years." Feel free to dispute the facts, but calling something "quack" doesn't make it so.

People like Chloe Cole are those truly in the shadows detransitioning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9N6Y1XHLUk

You've got people like AndyD who want to deny their existence, question their motives, and keep them quiet.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:51 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:59 am
Perfect example of confirmation-bias Googling ^^
Samuel Perez is a YouTuber with nearly 400,000 subscribers. He used to date men, but doesn’t anymore. He’s not crazy. He doesn’t hate gay people. I recommend listening to people like him who go against your beliefs. It’ll expand you world.

And, he’s not alone in his beliefs.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:57 pm

No government should be killing any person.

Biden, Obama, and Hillary supported heterosexual-only marriage (and quite publicly) for most of their lives.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:15 pm

tc wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:11 pm
ToneLoc wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:57 pm
No government should be killing any person.

Biden, Obama, and Hillary supported heterosexual-only marriage (and quite publicly) for most of their lives.
Maybe, but apparently they changed their minds. What’s important is how people feel about it now.
Glad you mentioned that because there are many right now who used to follow the LGBTQIA+ lifestyle who no longer do.

https://youtu.be/ZkN9V4allsk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic