Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another leaving WXYZ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TC Talks

Re: Another leaving WXYZ

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:21 pm

edj wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:00 pm
WMAR has been a joke for decades, possibly as far back as the 60s. Scripps is just running it like previous owners.

I think too many DUIs is what did Bonds in. He was at channel 2 for a bit for about a quarter of the salary (but did gain a regular interview show).
It's a shame given his daughter.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

I've heard WXYZ is an utter disaster and many are quitting

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

Jack5o2soco wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm
They can’t seem to hire a news director that can tell people how to emulate better stations so the ratings will go up.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm

Jack5o2soco wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm
The 4PM show is the only daypart I'd characterize as bad. That is the cut-and-paste newscast that primarily relies on national content from Scripps News.

The rest of their newscasts are quite watchable with a good mix of content. The station does a credible job reporting hard news and is often very timely in reporting breaking news. They definitely are light, though, when it comes to anchor desk talent. I still say Keenan Smith needs to go back to weather. The difference in on-air style between him and WDIV's Jason Colthorp is night and day. I strongly prefer Colthorp.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

The problem is GM Mike Murri. He’s involved in newsroom decisions that are well below what a GM should be weighing in on. Plus the goals move depending on which way the wind blows.

I agree that I don’t think the issue is with the journalism or talent. They just can never stick with a plan. Like it or hate it, WDIV is just much more consistent.

Herm

Post by Herm » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am

sinklair wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm
The problem is GM Mike Murri. He’s involved in newsroom decisions that are well below what a GM should be weighing in on. Plus the goals move depending on which way the wind blows.

I agree that I don’t think the issue is with the journalism or talent. They just can never stick with a plan. Like it or hate it, WDIV is just much more consistent.
Exactly what decisions would those be?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

Oh I don’t know Herm. Let’s start with Murri weighing in on — and frequently torpedoing — hiring decisions made by current and former department heads.

You work there and could add context. But you won’t. Keep defending the bad practices that have led WXYZ to being third place in ratings for more than a decade now.

Ed was a much better GM.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

sinklair wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am
Oh I don’t know Herm. Let’s start with Murri weighing in on — and frequently torpedoing — hiring decisions made by current and former department heads.

You work there and could add context. But you won’t. Keep defending the bad practices that have led WXYZ to being third place in ratings for more than a decade now.

Ed was a much better GM.
As I recall Fernandez was part of the reason they hired Tim Dye (was that his name?) and it’s how they ended up with a lot of legacy talent being dismissed and far inferior talent being hired to replace them. The first part was probably recession related but the replacing them with people like Smita Kalokhe… well that was on management. They’ve actually recovered from that low point. The newscasts were terrible, there were mistakes galore… now the talent is at least halfway decent it just doesn’t stay any length of time.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 pm

Rate This,

Mr. Fernandez disagrees with your assessment of Mr. Dye’s performance. Here’s his endorsement on his Dye Communications website: https://dyecommunications.com/

“Strategic, innovative, dedicated and honest. Those are just a few of the words I would use to describe Tim’s business and personal character. I had the opportunity to work with Tim at WXMI-TV in Grand Rapids and WXYZ-TV in Detroit. He displayed leadership at every turn, guiding the staff at both stations to extraordinary achievements. Tim was especially strong at project management, identifying new initiatives, assessing the risks involved and then implementing the vision with great success. I would also add that he is a consummate professional and demonstrates a high degree of integrity in everything he does."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:24 am

Dye ran 7's news product straight into the ground; that was by far 7's low point in the modern era.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:24 am
Dye ran 7's news product straight into the ground; that was by far 7's low point in the modern era.
Exactly... and as I recall Fernandez hired him... so I find it unlikely he would throw Dye under the bus. That doesn't mean it didn't suffer greatly under his leadership. I would say what they put out now is worlds away from what they were putting out from 2010-2013. I just wish it had some urgency and wasn't so sleepy sounding. 4 Does a much better job getting peoples attention I think.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:29 am

Yup, they both came from Fux 17, I mean Fox 17, in Grand Rapids.

"Sleepy" is a good way to describe 7's presentation.

Herm

Post by Herm » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:48 pm

sinklair wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

Ed was a much better GM.
I won’t add context because I have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Both with what you’re saying about Murri and what you’re saying about me.
As the GM, he is entitled to weigh in on whatever he chooses. When I was hired at 7, I had interviews with a production supervisor, the operations manager, Murri, and… Ed. So it would seem like it’s not that uncommon for the GM to weigh in on hiring decisions.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:58 am

Herm: you do realize that most GMs don’t interview for anything other than department heads and maybe top anchors. Murri is a control freak.

Herm

Post by Herm » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:27 am

sinklair wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:58 am
Herm: you do realize that most GMs don’t interview for anything other than department heads and maybe top anchors. Murri is a control freak.
I’ve told you this before, I do not trust uncorroborated information from anonymous sources.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic