Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDET celebrates 75 years of Public Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario

ChrisWL1980

Re: WDET celebrates 75 years of Public Radio

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:04 am

109.1? There isn't a radio I know of that can tune that high. At least not in this country.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:10 am

Looking at the History Card, it looks like WDET was at 12300 Radio Place until around 1960. Then they moved to the Maccabees Building. Then, WMUZ went on the same tower and studio site.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

BoTheJammer

Post by BoTheJammer » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:27 pm

How embarrassing especially with Ann in the studio.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:25 pm

WXZY-AM (the current day WXYT-AM) was at the Maccabees Building prior to WDET. I believe WDET used the same facilities WXYZ-AM had. Later on WDTR-FM (now WRCJ-FM) used the Maccabees Building. I don't know if any radio broadcasters currently use the Maccabees location, as Wikipedia states WRCJ's facilities are now in Wixom, Michigan.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:21 am

ShempLives wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:25 pm
WXZY-AM (the current day WXYT-AM) was at the Maccabees Building prior to WDET. I believe WDET used the same facilities WXYZ-AM had. Later on WDTR-FM (now WRCJ-FM) used the Maccabees Building. I don't know if any radio broadcasters currently use the Maccabees location, as Wikipedia states WRCJ's facilities are now in Wixom, Michigan.
You can use this site to find the Transmitter Location and History in a convenient form. Zoom in to block level on the coverage map to see the exact location. Studio Locations are often different. Click on History Card link for older stations to find addresses of both old studio and transmitter locations.

http://www.fccdata.org

WGPR 107.5 is currently on the Maccabees Building. You can also find what else is on the tower by clicking tower payload tab. AUX and STL facilities are also shown at various heights. Same height on the tower for two or more stations may be diplexed antennas, such as WDVD 96.3 and WYCD 99.5.

https://www.fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WG ... d=&lang=en

WXYZ 1240 moved to Joy Rd. from the Maccabees Building in the 1930s, changed to 1270 in 1941, moved to 10 Mile Rd. in 1959, then Downriver circa 2000. The early WXYZ towers were near the ends of the Maccabees Building. The actual antenna was vertical and top loaded with horizontal wires, suspended by two towers. It was nondirectional from that configuration. The towers were replaced by one near the center of the building, used early by WXYZ-TV, then WDET and WGPR, and now just WGPR.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:39 pm

WXYZ-FM (now WRIF 101.1) and WXYZ-TV had their transmitters in the Maccabees Building even after 1270 moved to Southfield (the current location of Broadcast House). 75 years is the amount of time Wayne State has held the license for the station. There was no "public radio" prior to May 01, 1971 when NPR began operating. Prior to that, stations owned by educational institutions (i.e., WDET, WUOM, WKAR) were considered "educational stations" and programming consisted of lectures, concert, extension courses, and for land grant schools farm service. Not the news and talk programs that are the staple of most public stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic