Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Stations Launch Start Over, Datacasting To Boost NextGen TV

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:51 pm

Courtesy: Broadcasting & Cable

https://www.nexttv.com/features/detroit ... nextgen-tv

SolidGoldDancers

Re: Detroit Stations Launch Start Over, Datacasting To Boost NextGen TV

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:50 am

What a sad tale ATSC 3 has spun. All they needed to do was provide something resembling 4k content, and instead they're off on the same tangents that brought them misery and disappointment with mobile ATSC.
“There’s a bit of a chicken-and-egg phenomenon going on,” Michael Newman, director of transformation at Graham Media Group, owner of WDIV Detroit, told B+C Multichannel News. “We need to demonstrate the value of this next-
generation television broadcast system.”
No, there is not. Just like early HDTV adopters were technophiles who spent a boatload of money on plasma TVs and hung out on the AV forums, those people went out and bought OLED 80" TVs because they were bit by the 4k bug. The viewers are there, give them something to watch Michael.

“We continue to search for the killer app that will be the motivating factor,” said Kerry Oslund, VP of strategy and business development at E.W. Scripps, which owns WXYZ-WMYD Detroit.
The killer app is content in the resolution you and the TV manufacturers orginally promised. The people showed up, tuned into your stations and saw a broadcast that was by and far WORSE than the older standard.

Detroit is also the hub for OTA Wireless, Scripps’s joint venture with Nexstar Media Group, which is datacasting there and in Indianapolis, Kansas City and Denver, covering about 6% of the country. Another station is expected to be added, bringing coverage to 12%.

Datacasting could be used to update signage on a highway or menus in
McDonald’s throughout the station’s coverage area, for example.
Have these people never heard of 4G LTE wireless? Are they that dumb that they think they can compete with cell carriers? The entire automotive industry has their own data buss standard connected to cellular modems, they're not backing out of that now in favor of this level of bullshit.

The stations are attempting to skirt the purposes and intents of the television broadcast licenses they were granted. Don't think for a minute that AT&T and Verizon don't have K-Street lawyers who just happen to run into FCC commissioners at lunch. They're going to get thumped.

Four or five weeks after ATSC 3.0 started airing, WDIV launched the Run3 TV sidecar application.

“When you are tuned to our television station, you get a little call-to-action prompt that’s noticeable but not very disruptive,” Newman said. “With your remote control, you can open up the menu and navigate to all kinds of additional content” normally found on a station’s website.
It is hot garbage Michael, because your news department can't help themselves but to notify me about a car chase in #%@$%%$ FLINT. I turned it off, I turned it all off and blocked your domains from DNS resolution because it is that bad. You've all openly admitted in the articile that you are reporting use metrics while I watch TV and can't be trusted.

One feed available on the sidecar app is a channel following the trial of the parents of the 17-year-old who was found guilty of the 2021 mass shooting at Oxford High School in Pontiac, Michigan.

The app provides a tangible benefit for buying a NextGen set, Newman said. “We have thousands of users in Detroit who actively have NextGen TV that are using our applications at the same time, and that’s every single day,” he said. “The Run3 has allowed us to dive in with two feet.”
Then why the hell are your peers off wandering in the weeds looking to create a broadcast IP network for cars and signage? The internet killed nearly all SCA services on FM, it's killed background music over satellite but you business geniuses think you're going to resurrect it?

The answer is right there, it's kicking you in the plums. C-O-N-T-E-N-T with the picture resolution that was promised by your own promotions for this exciting new technology.

At this point, with the fighting over DRM in broadcasts by Sinclair and the inability to stay focused on the tiny trickle of a moat that local broadcast TV retains, I'm pretty skeptical they can pull it off. AppleTV has some compelling 4k content, and my sports itch gets satiated with the free game of the day on MLB, I'm finding I watch traditional networks (OTA or streaming) and local affiliates less and less.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic