Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Troy Bridges

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Luke

Troy Bridges

Post by Luke » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:09 pm

Looks like some good experience coming to CBS Detroit’s weather team.

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news/troy-bridges/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Troy Bridges

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:39 pm

Interesting. Who is he replacing at the big 62? Will Kylee be moving to weekends?

It appears he was the victim of budget cuts at WKMG Loco 6 in Orlando last October. His resume is certainly strong.

I'd like to see a stronger news co-anchor weeknights than Terrance; he's too bland.

I definitely would like to see a Sports department, too.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

New2You

Post by New2You » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:20 am

Troy will be on mornings and Kylie will be during the days doing shows and from how she tells it special projects and live shots. Stacy is in the PM on the weekend. When we got an email about the changes they told us Karen is just there. A few of us think they will put her on the weekend in the morning when we start the show times. Karen didn't deserve a weekday shift with how she has done. When bad weather happened they would rush Ahmed in or hold Kylie longer. She stumbles and stutters and freezes up and calls things by the wrong name. The feedback we got from watchers was not good for her also. I have not met him yet but those who have say Troy is very nice and experienced. It is nice to see an experienced person can be brought in.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:12 am

I don’t think either Karen or Kylie are ready for Detroit. Glad to see they are bringing in Mets with stronger on-camera skills.

As for sports, I fear that bus has left the building. Ronnie probably did more to kill sports at CBS Detroit than help the cause. It’s a shame since this is a great sports town. But coverage has to be more than just highlights that you can see everywhere.

CBS won’t compete with the other stations in town if it just cedes an entire content area like sports.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:39 am

Thanks for the info, New2You.

One bad habit of Karen's is she has her back to the camera too often while presenting the weather. Probably accustomed to a chroma key setup where she can stand laterally and see everything easily off camera.

I agree with you, Sinklair, that the lack of a Sports department is a significant shortcoming. CBS spends a ton of money on NFL, NCAA and PGA broadcast rights, and Detroit is a pretty sports obsessed market. It is therefore bizarre that an O&O news operation has no serious presence in that arena.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:33 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:39 am
Thanks for the info, New2You.

One bad habit of Karen's is she has her back to the camera too often while presenting the weather. Probably accustomed to a chroma key setup where she can stand laterally and see everything easily off camera.

I agree with you, Sinklair, that the lack of a Sports department is a significant shortcoming. CBS spends a ton of money on NFL, NCAA and PGA broadcast rights, and Detroit is a pretty sports obsessed market. It is therefore bizarre that an O&O news operation has no serious presence in that arena.
What does CBS have them do? Stand in front of a TV screen and show the weather? If so that’s tacky as hell.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:04 pm

Correct. That practice is not as uncommon as you may think. The national networks do something similar in many instances. 62's implementation of it is better than most.

There are some large and major market news outlets that make their weather talent use a bezel-filled monitor wall to present the weather, which looks especially tacky. I'm glad 62 uses just one monitor. Chroma key always looks best, though, as color rendering is superior.

Deleted User 15876

Post by Deleted User 15876 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:16 pm

He’s being brought in as a replacement. Behind the scenes talent is very unhappy, a lot of them will be jumping ship when there contracts are up.

Luke

Post by Luke » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:33 pm

Happy to hear he’s going to be on the morning show. Kylie was definitely holding them back. Kris and Sandra make a great team but Kylie seemed out of her element. The show will definitely be more watchable now.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:12 am

Rebel, talent should be unhappy. The newscasts have been a distant fourth place ever since launching. There’s. It much at this point they can point to as a success. I’d hope major internal changes happen soon to address the talent, formatting, and News positioning issues that make CBS Detroit’s newscasts hard to watch in most good days.

Luke, Kylie was hard to watch/listen to when she started at WNEM in Saginaw. She hasn’t gotten any better over the years, but keeps getting promoted. One of her major ticks is focusing everything on herself. It’s “all me” all the time. Let’s say the only thing bigger than her hair would be her healthy sense of her own importance.

New2You

Post by New2You » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 am

Rebel, the behind the scenes people that want to leave can go right ahead. The last bad employees hired at the start will be out the door. You are correct he was brought in as a replacement, but for Karen. Kylie now goes to a daypart where she is able to handle the pressure put on the weather person during bad weather.
Sinklair, you show clearly that you have not worked with her in a long time. People can and do change and she is one of the most supportive in the entire newsroom.
More and more on this board and others you show you are completely misinformed or simply lying. Why anyone gives you attention here is beyond me.
Try doing what she did and change. But as members of this forum likely know already, you are incapable of doing so.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:54 pm

New2You wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 am
.... More and more on this board and others you show you are completely misinformed or simply lying. Why anyone gives you attention here is beyond me ....
I'll preface this by saying I'm not associated with the broadcast industry. Just in the bleachers with a bucket of popcorn.

So you're in the know, eh?

Let me ask you a question I've asked before. A question none of the so called experts here, including two who profess they work at a TV station, could answer:

Is WDIV or WXYZ at liberty to move Today or GMA to a subchannel, and continue with the local news at 7am? Or are they contractually obligated to show the network program on the "main" channel?

Now let me emphasize. I don't want to know if they would or should. Simply could they. Thanks.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:26 pm

Round Six wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:54 pm
New2You wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 am
.... More and more on this board and others you show you are completely misinformed or simply lying. Why anyone gives you attention here is beyond me ....
I'll preface this by saying I'm not associated with the broadcast industry. Just in the bleachers with a bucket of popcorn.

So you're in the know, eh?

Let me ask you a question I've asked before. A question none of the so called experts here, including two who profess they work at a TV station, could answer:

Is WDIV or WXYZ at liberty to move Today or GMA to a subchannel, and continue with the local news at 7am? Or are they contractually obligated to show the network program on the "main" channel?

Now let me emphasize. I don't want to know if they would or should. Simply could they. Thanks.
I'll bet you money they have to which is why they'll show some new episode at 1am to say they've showed it.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:51 pm

Round Six: The NBC network contract says WDIV or other affiliates have to run the Today Show live at 7am. There is a limited network preemption bucket for covering up network programming for, let’s say, a Detroit Lions special. But NBC would not allow a local newscast on their primary channel that would directly compete with the Today Show.

Some markets do run the local 7am newscast on a secondary channel. But from a ratings and revenue point of view, it’s a small fraction of the audience compared to the primary channel.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:54 pm

Networks in general are far less tolerant of preemptions than even 20 years ago. At one point, WJBK didn’t run the CBS Morning show, preferring local news.

Unless there’s a major breaking story, there’s no way that would be allowed today. I would guess there’s a clause of a penalty fine to the network or termination of the affiliation otherwise. This is why WXYZ extends their morning news on channel 20 instead of 7.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic