Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local Media Blames Messenger for WSJ Column about Dearborn

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Local Media Blames Messenger for WSJ Column about Dearborn

Post by Bobbert » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:53 am

Most of this reporting is strongly biased to the Dearborn side of this issue, with the CBS report being a little more fair than the others.

This story didn't surprise me. When I was living in Dearborn in the 1990s, I saw an elementary school art exhibit at the Centennial Library. It included crudely drawn pictures of super heroes chanting "Death to Israel". Those "artists" are now in 30s, probably with their own families.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 481773007/

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 479221007/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAVuVwuTFY

Rate This

Re: Local Media Blames Messenger for WSJ Column about Dearborn

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:36 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:53 am
Most of this reporting is strongly biased to the Dearborn side of this issue, with the CBS report being a little more fair than the others.

This story didn't surprise me. When I was living in Dearborn in the 1990s, I saw an elementary school art exhibit at the Centennial Library. It included crudely drawn pictures of super heroes chanting "Death to Israel". Those "artists" are now in 30s, probably with their own families.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 481773007/

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 479221007/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAVuVwuTFY

Exactly how much of anything has happened there? That’s the trouble… the answer is zilch…

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:44 pm

It's blanten bigotry looking for a path to legitimacy. I'm tired of racism from white guys trying to score points with the Nationalist movement.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

riggs

Post by riggs » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:58 pm

Go fuck yourself, Bobbert, You don't know a damn thing about it. I live in Dearborn and no, we are not under Sharia Law and no, there are no beheadings. Where the fuck are you getting this shit?

You're just another bigot.

There are extremists in all religions, including Christians, but I live in a safe neighborhood with all kinds here, including Muslim families, Black Families, Mexican families. Yep, a Black family in old racist Dearborn. We all look out for each other. This is a good neighborhood and I am sick of fucking outsiders proclaiming things about my city when they haven't seen a Goddamned thing go down here.

And no, I am not a Muslim, Christian or Jew.

So kindly piss off.
Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

riggs

Post by riggs » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:03 pm

and if you want to banish me for telling another poster to go fuck themselves, then go ahead and do it, because I am not taking it back.
Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:45 pm

riggs wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:03 pm
and if you want to banish me for telling another poster to go fuck themselves, then go ahead and do it, because I am not taking it back.
That being said, I nominate Bobbert's post for entry into the "Repository".

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:09 am

I agree that the alarmist rhetoric in the WSJ piece was an irresponsible depiction of Dearborn.

Remarkably little was disclosed about the author's qualifications to write about such a topic. We know he works for some obscure "think tank". We do not know that organization's source of funding or if the writer has ever visited Dearborn.

I do not like the recent direction the WSJ editorial page has taken of late. It is morphing into Fox News-lite.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:50 am

Are we just going to deny that there havent been multiple large pro Palestinian/Hamas demonstrations in Dearborn?
What is the stated goal of Hamas which polls show the majority of the Palestinian people support? Hamas was elected by the Palestinian people so it should be no surprise to anyone, most notably the Palestinians themselves, when a group such as the one they elected follows through on their threats. You cant elect a group like that then demand mercy when the people they attack retaliate. How about dont elect a designated terrorist organization to lead you?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:08 am

While support for Hamas by some in the SE Michigan Muslim community is very troubling, the implication by the author that such individuals represent the mainstream of Dearborn's population is where I take umbrage.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:32 am

riggs wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:58 pm
Go fuck yourself, Bobbert, You don't know a damn thing about it. I live in Dearborn and no, we are not under Sharia Law and no, there are no beheadings. Where the fuck are you getting this shit?

You're just another bigot.

There are extremists in all religions, including Christians, but I live in a safe neighborhood with all kinds here, including Muslim families, Black Families, Mexican families. Yep, a Black family in old racist Dearborn. We all look out for each other. This is a good neighborhood and I am sick of fucking outsiders proclaiming things about my city when they haven't seen a Goddamned thing go down here.

And no, I am not a Muslim, Christian or Jew.

So kindly piss off.
So what exactly was incorrect in the article?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:38 am

dial-it-in wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:50 am
Are we just going to deny that there havent been multiple large pro Palestinian/Hamas demonstrations in Dearborn?
What is the stated goal of Hamas which polls show the majority of the Palestinian people support? Hamas was elected by the Palestinian people so it should be no surprise to anyone, most notably the Palestinians themselves, when a group such as the one they elected follows through on their threats. You cant elect a group like that then demand mercy when the people they attack retaliate. How about dont elect a designated terrorist organization to lead you?

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:24 am

I've been wanting to stay out of this conversation but have been wanting to say something, trying to think of an eloquent way to put it. Here's what I want to say:

This weekend, the weather is going to be 50 degrees. This Saturday, take a morning stroll around Hemlock Park. It's in East Dearborn, off Schaefer north of Ford Rd. You'll pass many area residents out for a walk as you stroll along. Give everyone a nod and a smile as you pass by. See how many smile back. And see how many look at you like Jeff Dunham's Achmed puppet.

Quit basing your viewpoint from the warm screen glare(tm) of your device or TV, and go get some fresh air.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:45 am

Round Six wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:24 am
I've been wanting to stay out of this conversation but have been wanting to say something, trying to think of an eloquent way to put it. Here's what I want to say:

This weekend, the weather is going to be 50 degrees. This Saturday, take a morning stroll around Hemlock Park. It's in East Dearborn, off Schaefer north of Ford Rd. You'll pass many area residents out for a walk as you stroll along. Give everyone a nod and a smile as you pass by. See how many smile back. And see how many look at you like Jeff Dunham's Achmed puppet.

Quit basing your viewpoint from the warm screen glare(tm) of your device or TV, and go get some fresh air.
I used to live near Schaefer and Michigan and took many long walks through the neighborhoods, with their beautiful variety of bungalows. I would try to nod and smile at the ladies in the burkas, but they would look in another direction. I guess it was a cultural thing.

Another time I was taking a long walk (near Warren and Greenfield) and came upon a couple of Mideastern teenagers who were loudly yelling the phrase "F---ing n---ers!" over and over. When I walked by, they started yelling it at me, which was interesting, because I'm white.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:52 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:08 am
While support for Hamas by some in the SE Michigan Muslim community is very troubling, the implication by the author that such individuals represent the mainstream of Dearborn's population is where I take umbrage.
I can understand how people could take offense at the headline, which used the word "jihad."

In general, the article didn't seem much different than the articles that came out after the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995, which identified the presence of extremist right wing groups in places like rural Washtenaw County and the Thumb.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:08 am
Yeah, the headline is very clickbait-ish and the article unfortunately further erodes trust in journalism.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic