Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Channel 7 provides fake traffic detour to avoid WB M-59 accident

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Herm

Re: Channel 7 provides fake traffic detour to avoid WB M-59 accident

Post by Herm » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:37 pm

Mark Nelson wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:30 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:58 pm
Side note; I despise the stupid roundabouts at Auburn and Dequindre. Useless pieces of shit.
I agree. The other day I was on Tienken Road in Rochester and traveled through 3 stupid roundabouts between Dequindre and Rochester Road.
Would you have rather caught 3 red lights?
There are 2 roundabouts on Evergreen between 10 Mile and 11 Mile. Back when there were 2 traffic lights, that 1 mile stretch of road used to take up to 20 minutes to get through during high traffic times. With the roundabouts, I can make it through in around 2 minutes consistently… sometimes less.
What is your beef with roundabouts?

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:11 pm

Herm wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:37 pm
Mark Nelson wrote:
Side note; I despise the stupid roundabouts at Auburn and Dequindre. Useless pieces of shit.
I agree. The other day I was on Tienken Road in Rochester and traveled through 3 stupid roundabouts between Dequindre and Rochester Road.
There are 2 roundabouts on Evergreen between 10 Mile and 11 Mile. Back when there were 2 traffic lights, that 1 mile stretch of road used to take up to 20 minutes to get through during high traffic times. With the roundabouts, I can make it through in around 2 minutes consistently… sometimes less.
Yes, absolutely would rather have traffic signals. Just because most people don’t understand how to use a roundabout. One of the most dangerous roundabouts in the Detroit area is at 18 1/2 and Van Dyke In Sterling Heights. 4 years ago, I witnessed an accident that killed a motorcycle driver at that roundabout, it was clearly the driver of the car that was at fault because they did not understand the lane concept. Michigan should have never started using roundabouts. I’m not saying traffic signals are 100 percent safe but they are what most drivers are used to using and a bit safer.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:33 pm

I see his point. They work in a society where people have courtesy and don't act like they're the only people on the road. I've damn near gotten nailed at one of ours here in Brighton near downtown. I was already making my turn when some asshole in a (surprise) Cadillac came flying through. He missed me by a pubic hair. That red triangle with that Y word on it is tricky. I HAVE TO HURRY UP AND BEAT YOU AND BE FIRST GUY THROUGH THE INTERSECTION! YES! I WON! HAHA!
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Herm

Post by Herm » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:59 am

Mark Nelson wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:11 pm
Herm wrote:
Mark Nelson wrote:
Yes, absolutely would rather have traffic signals. Just because most people don’t understand how to use a roundabout. One of the most dangerous roundabouts in the Detroit area is at 18 1/2 and Van Dyke In Sterling Heights. 4 years ago, I witnessed an accident that killed a motorcycle driver at that roundabout, it was clearly the driver of the car that was at fault because they did not understand the lane concept. Michigan should have never started using roundabouts. I’m not saying traffic signals are 100 percent safe but they are what most drivers are used to using and a bit safer.
There are fatal crashes at all kinds of intersections. In fact, if you look at a list of the most dangerous intersections in the Detroit area, the vast majority of them are not roundabouts.
So are “traditional” intersections really safer?

edj

Post by edj » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:34 am

Agreed on the US-23 and Lee Road roundabouts. What a mess! Ditto on 18 1/2 and Van Dyke. That one is probably the most dangerous. The Orchard Lake Road ones where 14 and Northwestern all come together are a nightmare.

I’d surprisingly also throw in 10 and Napier on the Novi/Lyon Twp line. For a road that wasn’t paved ten years ago it’s really picked up in traffic and close calls at that intersection.

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:58 am

Herm wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:59 am
Mark Nelson wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:11 pm
Herm wrote:
Mark Nelson wrote:
There are fatal crashes at all kinds of intersections. In fact, if you look at a list of the most dangerous intersections in the Detroit area, the vast majority of them are not roundabouts.
So are “traditional” intersections really safer?
Roundabouts definitely more dangerous than traditional intersections. Granted, most people drive like idiots and are likely to cause accidents. I do believe that since the Michigan Secretary of State stopped giving the 15 question test on license renewal to save a dime years ago most people including myself don’t know what new laws are such as how to drive through a roundabout.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:08 am

I'd like to add Martin Parkway /M-5 / Pontiac Trail to the list of horrible roundabouts.

Lee Rd and US 23 is definitely awful! I experienced that one over a decade ago.

The one at Orchard Lake / Northwestern / 14 Mile is more confusing to me than it is hazardous. It is easy to get misdirected if not using a navigation app.

There are some well designed roundabouts, too. The roundabouts near the Southfield Civic Center are fine, as is the new one along Greenfield north of 13 Mile.

Adding extra lanes immediately before a roundabout only to require an absurdly quick merge immediately after exiting a roundabout greatly adds to collision risk. Roundabouts where the feeder roads have at least three lanes of unidirectional traffic also greatly increases collision risk.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:42 pm

Just spitballing here but instead of spending Billion$ on roads and lanes and trying to figure out how to make automobile traffic flow, how about investing in real useful public transportation? Starting with light rail all the way up Woodward to Pontiac and then up Gratiot, Grand River, Michigan to the airport and Fort downriver? Crazy talk, I know.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:05 pm

Regarding non-existent interchanges: I have heard several times on WWJ Traffic, when there is an accident on I-75 up north, for recommendations to get off on Maple Road. There are three Maple Roads that cross I-75; none of them have interchanges.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic