Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Radio drops "Radio" from its name

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Michigan Radio drops "Radio" from its name

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:02 am

I don't like this move. Michigan Public Media would've been a much better name than "Michigan Public."

There was nothing wrong with the Michigan Radio name, either. They should've left it alone.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2633 ... an-public/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

craig11152

Re: Michigan Radio drops "Radio" from its name

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:19 am

I don't give them any money although I do listen for 4 or 5 minutes at a time during my commutes if 97.1 is not engaging me.
If they made some effort to appear middle of the road I might consider a donation but that ain't happening any time soon.
I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:02 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:19 am
I don't give them any money although I do listen for 4 or 5 minutes at a time during my commutes if 97.1 is not engaging me.
If they made some effort to appear middle of the road I might consider a donation but that ain't happening any time soon.
What changes would they have to make in order to be considered "middle of the road"?

A friend of mine worked in donor development at public station and I sent her link the website of the national network to what I believed to be unfair bias.

I asked if stuff like hurt your donations? She said yes. She had taken donor calls from families that enjoyed the likes of programs of likes Sesame Street, and she said they would cancel because of the national feed's bias.

We both agreed there is no need for them to do this to themselves, they just need to put on solid educational programming.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:27 am

PBS is separate from NPR. They do both receive some funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:52 am

For the past several months I have counted the number of times I have heard some version of a phrase " far right" , " right wing" , "extreme right" , " right wing extremists" etc versus a similar phrase inserting "left" instead of "right" . At the moment my score is 283-0.
Almost suggests they can't imagine anyone further left than they are.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:21 pm

Can't say about WUOM, but a WKAR staffer a while back did admit to me their programming is slanted to the left.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:44 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:52 am
For the past several months I have counted the number of times I have heard some version of a phrase " far right" , " right wing" , "extreme right" , " right wing extremists" etc versus a similar phrase inserting "left" instead of "right" . At the moment my score is 283-0.
What should those right-wing extremist groups be called instead?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:03 pm

Jason Kragt wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:44 pm
craig11152 wrote:
What should those right-wing extremist groups be called instead?
:rollin
I don't think my point was remotely obscure. So I am not going to respond other suggest you read my short post repeatedly until you grasp it. Then go ahead and engage me.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:46 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:02 am
What changes would they have to make in order to be considered "middle of the road"?

We both agreed there is no need for them to do this to themselves, they just need to put on solid educational programming.
Give the majority of the non-com content is conservative leaning religious programming. I am refreshed to get some moderate educated programming that reflects the opinions of a majority of the country.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:02 am
I don't like this move. Michigan Public Media would've been a much better name than "Michigan Public."

There was nothing wrong with the Michigan Radio name, either. They should've left it alone.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2633 ... an-public/
I bet this decision was made by some higher ups at Umich to make changes just to make changes, like when they randomly decided to change the name of UofM Health system to Michigan Medicine in 2017.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:18 pm

Damn Craig, does EVERYTHING have to do with politics??
Give it abreak man.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:47 pm

And they sold WFUM-TV 28, CMU bought it at a lowball price and then turned in the license at a huqe profit.

Michigan Radio should sell WFUM-FM to Smile FM. That ought to get a rise out of you.

I feel that UM-AA lacks Vision in general, and is running on the fumes of past glory.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:05 pm

No. No more non-comms. No more translators. No more jamming signals 10 miles apart. Cut that shit.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:17 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Guess who has the more urgent extremism problem right now? The left wing in this country is very weak. That said you need some other hobby or something.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:32 pm

PBS and NPR obviously don't cater to those whose idea of "solid educational programming" is PragerU. Fortunately, if that describes you, you have other options where you can rest assured you'll never hear anyone who isn't a heterosexual, cisgender WASP described in anything less than demonizing terms. Instead of complaining that an outlet for a worldview that's different from your own exists, listen to, or watch, something else. It's that simple. It's why I don't listen to any of Crawford's stations or watch OAN.
Back to the original topic of this post... dumb name change, I agree, and just about everyone on their Facebook page concurs. It seems to be part of a wave of public broadcasters across the nation making similar moves, though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic