Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local 4 Photographer Contract

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
sinklair

Local 4 Photographer Contract

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:15 am

Photogs at Local 4 are not happy with current contract talks and have a petition out calling for a wage increase:
https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/pro ... irect_link

The petition reads:
“Local 4-WDIV is owned by the Graham Media Corporation which earned over $348 million in the first nine months of 2023. Even with trends down in advertising, the corporation made $109 million dollars after expenses in the first nine months of 2023, making it one of the most successful subsidiaries in the parent company's multifaceted business. With a contentious political election driving advertising and potential revenue from NFL playoffs, WDIV will continue its position as Graham's "flagship broadcast station" throughout 2024.

The story for WDIV's workers is quite different. The Union Photojournalists haven't seen a wage increase since the summer of 2022, and now the Company wants to only offer wage increases 18 months after the contract begins, well into 2025.

Local 4 is the only television station reporting from the city of Detroit and has a long history in the area, and unions have been the bread and butter of Detroit's numerous industries.

Photojournalists at WDIV Local 4 have endured the worst of the worst conditions over the last three, years putting their lives in danger to fearlessly bring the news to the public .

Tell WDIV to support their Photojournalists and give them a fair contract now!“

It also encourages people to send letters to the CEO of parent company Graham Media.

Round Six

Re: Local 4 Photographer Contract

Post by Round Six » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:17 am

I'm curious and have a feeling editorcj may be able to answer. How does WDIV's current pay compare to the other 3 news outlets in Metro Detroit?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:52 pm

Top scale photographer is less than 7 and about the same as 2, 62 only has a few unionized photogs and I feel like they are paid comparable to 7 but I am not positive. 2 and 4 are represented by NABET, 7 and 62 are represented by IBEW but different locals.

WXYZ's technicians; photographers, editors, master control and maintenance engineers contract expires in June. We are rooting for our brothers at DIV to get a good fair contract.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:37 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:52 pm
Top scale photographer is less than 7 and about the same as 2, 62 only has a few unionized photogs and I feel like they are paid comparable to 7 but I am not positive. 2 and 4 are represented by NABET, 7 and 62 are represented by IBEW but different locals.

WXYZ's technicians; photographers, editors, master control and maintenance engineers contract expires in June. We are rooting for our brothers at DIV to get a good fair contract.
Is any of the talent Union anywhere? Or is it just the above mentioned employees?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:24 pm

Fox 2's reporters are union.

Fred

Post by Fred » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:37 am

Editorcj wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:52 pm

Ch 2 is NABET, Ch 4 is NABET for editors and techs and IATSE for field camera and Ch 7 is IBEW. I believe that most of these prior contracts gave away MMJ jurisdiction, which will be a problem in all negotiations moving forward. I think that all of these unions are more interested in protecting their dues rather than fighting for the rank and file. All of these stations should be preparing for cuts based on what is happening around the country with news departments.

As for pay, 4 pays the most for camera, followed by 2 and then 7, 62 is in the ballpark. It was all close and there were differences based on being freelance or staff.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:40 pm

As for pay, 4 pays the most for camera, followed by 2 and then 7, 62 is in the ballpark. It was all close and there were differences based on being freelance or staff.
I don't know what 2 and 4 pay for per diem photographers and currently 7 has no per diems working, but I've been told one of the points of contention in WDIV's negotiation is that they are paid less than 7's photographers. 7 laid off all part time employees in August leaving no per diem photographers or editors but when 7 did have these temp/per diems the rate was pretty low in comparison to staff with 7 years experience.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:06 am

How has this compared to the last 20 years? Comparable compensation for the work performed or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:01 am

Word has it that they got a satisfactory contract, don't know the details but heard it has decent pay raises.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 am

Editorcj wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:24 pm
Fox 2's reporters are union.
This caught my eye just now.
Several years ago I heard Jay Towers say during the Fox2 morning newscast "We are all at will employees". The discussion continued for a bit that the station can let any of them go anytime they want. Like it's industry standard.

You saying reporters are unionized kinda conflicts with that discussion I seen years ago. Did I hear it wrong?

Can station management, out of the blue, take an air personality aside and say "we're letting you go, here's a banker box, load up and give the guard your swipe badge on the way out"?.

When I think people are in a union, I think of seniority. Last hired, first fired.

Do Fox2 reporters all make the same amount of money? They're in a union. I'm thinking you and the person next to you behind the camera are making the same rate because you're both doing the same job in the same union. What's the difference between union people under the lights, and union people behind the lights?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:21 pm

Fox 2's reporters and anchors are in a different union than the technicians, the reporters union contract establishes minimums in salary and sets jurisdictional rules, one reason you won't see MMJs at Fox 2. The individual reporters then have their own contracts that must adhere to the rules spelled out in the union contract.

A station can take anyone off the air for whatever reason but they would still have to payoff the contract unless the station can show good cause.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:47 am

Editorcj wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:21 pm
A station can take anyone off the air for whatever reason but they would still have to payoff the contract unless the station can show good cause.
So let's say the station does a survey or poll or whatever. And ascertains that an appreciable percentage of viewers just don't care to watch that person. No other reason. Is that considered good cause?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:45 pm

Yeah no, it would take legitimate grounds for dismissal, like sexual harassment or theft.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:23 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:45 pm
Yeah no, it would take legitimate grounds for dismissal, like sexual harassment or theft.
We can both agree the goal of broadcast TV is to get as many people as possible to watch your channel. So let me give you an example:

A station has different anchors on different days during the week. The station is able to prove that more people watch the newscast when one person in rotation is not in front of the camera. That when they are, viewers are more likely to channel surf to another station.

Would you consider this a legitimate ground for dismissal?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:34 pm

I would say that the company would not renew the contract when it expires and if it was really bad they would either pay off the contract, use what ever out is available to them within the contract or ruthlessly trump some offense up to justify the termination and risk the inevitable lawsuit. Lions are still paying Matt Patricia.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic